Honourable memory of RT

Macca

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
This is abit random but thought I'd share it with everyone who visits and posts on this site and also i thourght it mite help motivate those wanting to join up or currently in selection.

It was a sunday wich was the day before my troop (947) went into week 8, and there was a memorial service taking place on the drill square and my troop was given the task of helping set up the chairs and tables outside and inside the drill shed (to those who haven't been to CTC this shed is massive), and we were to help get lots a drinks a food layed out for hundreds of ex Royal Marines.

It was quite an amazing feeling realy as on that day the veterans were wondering around the camp so when marching towards the drill shed from C block to help prepare for the days events the whole troop had a buzzing feeling as we marched through the crouds of veterans staring at us with encouragement and pride.

Once everything in the Drill shed was set up the service began, our troop was at the back in the shed and in front of us was troops and troops of the old boys marching out of the shed onto the parade square. I thought that was the lot of them but then suddenly from the right side of the drill shed more veterans emerged and there was hundreds more all marching together smartly dressed with their green lids on (some with the blue berets) and considering the fact that most of them were over the age of 60 upwards they, weren't half marching brilliantly. Our troop was then told the old boys wanted our troop out on the parade with them wich was fantastic so nervously but proudly we were all marched out infront of all Marines trying our hardest to look good for them and watching them from the corner of my eye seeing them watching us was fantastic and made everyone in the troop feel realy proud, we then marched passed and went to the back to take part in the service wich was an honor.

At the end we all marched off together for drinks and food in the drill shed. 947 troop were temporary relieved of their duties so we could mix and chat with all the veterans to hear their stories and what their time in the corps was like, it was fantastic, I heard many incredible stories of the laughs they had aswel as the courage and bravery some had shown, and they were keen to hear about us and how we were getting on with training. It did feel abit wierd one time as I was listening to an old boy with lots of medals telling me about a raid he had taken part in during WW2 and it sounded pretty intense, and then he turned around and asked me what i had experienced so far in RT *text deleted*, after his story I didnt feel like I had anything of interest to say haha. They were all very nice and very funny guys aswel as interesting. It was a glimse of family life within the Marines amoungst your fellow oppos and it was great. I deffinately noticed the commando humour stays with them for ever hence the saying "once a Marine, always a Marine".

The lads going through YO training also came to join in with the fun and we had a chat with them too, they had only been in training a week so there was some interesting conversations.

Morale in 947 was at its highest when we got back to the grots and in a way it brought everyone that bit closer together. The mood was so high that you wouldn't have known that we had been on ex Marshal star on the previous week haha.

RT is very tough and has many high and low points but its times like the above that make you stronger than the low points. I did wrap in training due to serious personal problems at home but i Haven't stopped thinking about re-joining and cannot wait to get back. For those starting RT soon just remember to keep your chin up otherwise how are you going to see your goal, smile when it gets tough of speak with your oppos, and just remember why you have joined, to be apart of the Royal Marine Commandos.

cheers

Macca

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Welcome back Macca,

I'm sorry that you know of the same feeling I know of leaving training early. It doesn't leave you and if you don't go back it will grow and grow no matter what you achieve outside.

Unfortunately it isn't something you can explain to people before they leave, so their is no point me trawling on about it.

But good news on getting back into it and if you need to PM me or anything then feel free.

Macca

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Thats exectly the feeling Grewing, since leaving RT nothing seems to come close to what i want to be doing wich is be a Marine. But i haven't got time for dwelling on the past as *text deleted* got lots of prep training to get stuck into to get myself back down there for when i finish the course I'm on *text deleted*. Anyway cheers grewing much appreciated

MAXPAIN

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Nice one Macca and good luck with re-joining. I have so much respect for these people not just the royal marines but every single veteran from all our armed forces, some off the stories I'm told when I meet some of the veterans at my work are just awesome. This man came in once and started talking to me then found out he was in Normandy D-Day and he had a metal plate on his back because he got hit by German shrapnel and when you tap the plate it sounds hollow *text deleted* like theres nothing inside him, and my mum used to work with an ex-raf bomber who dropped bombs on Germany in WW2 and when you see these people in real life you realize there just like you and me.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Great post there, sounds very interesting. Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to meet any veterans, be it from WWII or after.

It's strange but my grandfather was in the Navy from 1938 - 1945 I believe, and I've only met him a couple of times so never had the chance to talk about it. During that time he never saw any combat action! The only time he saw any action was when he was on leave in Brighton and it was being attacked on a bombing raid by the Luftwaffe.

I too feel a great respect for any veterans.

New Threads