hoofin run

MAXPAIN

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Just got back from my last run before I do my PRMC, and cracked my personal best 3 miler of 19:50 to 19:03, I feel f-ing brilliant and cant wait for prmc now, what a confidence boost!

MAXPAIN

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Yea mate it suprised me when I looked at my watch, I didn't pace my self at all I just ran like a lunatic, mind you it wasnt all hoofin on my way back home I had the worst feeling of the *text deleted**text deleted*s ever and I just unleashed hell on my toilet *text deleted*

tcsmith88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Excellent to hear, mate, and may I wish all the very best for your PRMC!

Been notching some pretty good running times myself recentley. Seems like I'm bettering my time everytime I do it. Today, I set 2 new personal bests for myself. 1.5 miles in 10.21, and 3 miles in 19.57. The best part is I've only been back running again for 2 weeks after 15 months of doing very little meaningful running. Without trying to sound too much up my own arse I'm naturally quite a confident person anyway but even so, it's well and truly soaring at the moment! (=

Richard

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yea nice times lads.. My mind usually turns off after 2 miles and i can run alot easier

tcsmith88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sentiments much appreciated, lads! :bigsmile:

To be honest, I wouldn't say I really did anything special or out of the ordinary. Basically, just focus and concentrate on what I'm doing, keep running and physically don't let myself stop until I'm done.

C

critchmufc

i can do i mile and a half in around 9mins, im hoping to hit less than 18mins on my next three miler but i cant see this hapening as last time i only ran 3mile in 19.48, i know im capable of it but i dont know what is going wrong

i ease past the first 2 miles then switch off and it gets hard to run

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just got back from my last run before I do my PRMC, and cracked my personal best 3 miler of 19:50 to 19:03, I feel f-ing brilliant and cant wait for prmc now, what a confidence boost!

Well done mate. You seem like a machine already! 19:03 is amazing, hope that was road running not *text deleted**text deleted*ty tredmill running!

tcsmith88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Mine were (Sherwood) Forest running. I've mentioned plenty of times before that I *text deleted**text deleted*ing hate Treadmill running, *text deleted*. Really do wish it were possible to do the PJFT on a set route outside. But if it's got to be done...

tcsmith88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ayup, matey. Great to hear from someone else from the Nottinghamshire area (= What stage do you find yourself in at the moment?

Aye, from the Mansfield area. Well, Edwinstowe to be precise. About 7 miles out of Mansfield. One of the nicer areas, *text deleted*. Not a native though. Originally from Huddersfield, West Yorkshire. Born and raised there for the first 18 years of my life. But my parents and extended family are all originally from the Nottinghamshire area so we moved down in November 2006. Now we live about a half-mile radius of each other, *text deleted*. Undoubtedly bored you to tears with all that so my apologies :laugh:

Anyway, where about's in Nottm are you from, mate? My Auntie and her mate live in Netherfield and mate of mine and her fella live in Arnold. Oh, and ex of mine lives in Bingham. So I'm no stranger.

Gixer600Dan

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Im from Long Eaton but am continually moving house, i think to Wollaton next *text deleted* of the school for my brother and sisters. But who knows. I just done my interview and got my PJFT (3 miler) on October 16. Bout yourself? *text deleted* i like the "nice area" bit you thrown in there haha :bigsmile:

tcsmith88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Well, to be honest, I initially applied around last May time. Did my aptitude tests, medical, pyschometric tests etc and passed them all no problem. But around the same time my Grandad became terminally ill, I met my then girlfriend, I got my current job and this were also not that long after I moved down to Notts so I were just starting to really settle down here. As you've guessed, I never went through it.

In the 2 or 3 months I've become increasingly frustrated with my jthiob. Don't get me wrong, got some awesome mates but there's been a lot of budget cuts resulting in my hours been dropped. I were also sat in the gym, must've been about 6 weeks absolutely bored out of my skull thinking, "FFS, there's got to be more to life than this!". So I started looking into the Marines again. Began properly researching it. Reading and watching different thing via internet, telly, dvd etc and basically decided do I really want to look back in 10, 20 years time and think, "Why didn't I just go for it when I had the chance?!" If I don't at the very least have a go now then I never will. So that's what I'm fully intent on doing. Just *text deleted**text deleted*ing going for it! And, at the worst case scenario I don't quite get through for whatever reason then I still want some sort of Military career. Maybe as a second choice, a Mine Clearance Diver in the Navy or summat.

But anyway... I rang the AFCO up at Nottm about 3 weeks back to reignite my interest and they said I'd have to go back in for another medical review with it being over a year since I were last in contact obviously anything could have happened to me. They mentioned summat about being in the process of appointing a new Navy doctor but I'm on the urgent call-back list for when all that is confirmed. So just doing my training, getting myself as best prepared as I can and just take things from there. Can't wait for everything to get properly moving again though (=

What first attracted you to the Marines and what are your main aspirations and motivation for joining then, buddy?

Sorry to go right round the houses, *text deleted*. Just one of those things I can't half explain.

Gixer600Dan

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Well ive always been interested in joining the forces, and honest to God i was watching Blue Peter aggggeees ago and saw the presenters doing a PRMC and stuff, and i thought...ill look into this clan :cool:...low and behold i researched and a good 9 years on im joining after alot of setbacks, both family and personal. But the ball is finaly rolling and the process is picking up again, hopefully be in training either end of year or beggining of next year. I found that i like the way there proud of there history, awards, challenging lifestyle and close knit team suits me well and am well up for the challenges that wait, that and srving the queen and country of course.

You've got to do the WHOLE process again then or just the medical? Mate that took me about 9 months to get to my interview, and that was the smooth bit haha. All in all about 2 years its taken me, i hope yours goes a hell of alot quicker, maybe in the same troop as me? I was talking to DRichardson also from Notts whos on this site, close group you see us Nottingham lot.

tcsmith88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Well ive always been interested in joining the forces, and honest to God i was watching Blue Peter aggggeees ago and saw the presenters doing a PRMC and stuff, and i thought...ill look into this clan :cool:...low and behold i researched and a good 9 years on im joining after alot of setbacks, both family and personal. But the ball is finaly rolling and the process is picking up again, hopefully be in training either end of year or beggining of next year. I found that i like the way there proud of there history, awards, challenging lifestyle and close knit team suits me well and am well up for the challenges that wait, that and srving the queen and country of course.

You've got to do the WHOLE process again then or just the medical? Mate that took me about 9 months to get to my interview, and that was the smooth bit haha. All in all about 2 years its taken me, i hope yours goes a hell of alot quicker, maybe in the same troop as me? I was talking to DRichardson also from Notts whos on this site, close group you see us Nottingham lot.

Was the BP mini-documentary where that Matt Baker undertook the PRMC? If so, I watched that aswell *text deleted*. Probably the only time I watched BP and that were only for the RMs feature *text deleted*. But yeah, I've always had a passing interest in the Forces aswell and started taking more of a curious interest after watching that. Did you watch 'Commando - On The Front Line' on ITV last year? I've got the DVD to it. Excellent watch. Would definitley recommend. I'd recommend any kind of research because when it comes down to it it can only help us with everything possible in the long run.

Sounds like your reasons are more or less exactly the same as mine. Yeah, I've too gathered that us Nottm lot are a close group which I think is fantastic. I love that sort of camararderie (sp). Suppose that's another reasons why the Marines speaks to me more than any other Force. Like that Orlando Rogers said on that DVD I mentioned above... "Your joining the biggest and best boys club in the world".

Thankfully, just got to do my medical again. I think, I hope *text deleted*. I were lucky when I initially applied. I mentioned. We got the aptitude and psychometric tests, medical and eyesight test done all in the same day. *text deleted**text deleted*ing long day though *text deleted*.

Might sound a bit silly because we've only spoke a few times, but you seem a real sound lad and I would love it if we ended up on the same PRMC and/or Troop. Definitley established some common ground. Could arrange to get same trains down to Lympstone an' what 'ave ya *text deleted*.

Glad to hear you've overcome your setbacks and are back/still on course! (=

Gixer600Dan

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Was the BP mini-documentary where that Matt Baker undertook the PRMC? If so, I watched that aswell *text deleted*. Probably the only time I watched BP and that were only for the RMs feature *text deleted*. But yeah, I've always had a passing interest in the Forces aswell and started taking more of a curious interest after watching that. Did you watch 'Commando - On The Front Line' on ITV last year? I've got the DVD to it. Excellent watch. Would definitley recommend. I'd recommend any kind of research because when it comes down to it it can only help us with everything possible in the long run.

Sounds like your reasons are more or less exactly the same as mine. Yeah, I've too gathered that us Nottm lot are a close group which I think is fantastic. I love that sort of camararderie (sp). Suppose that's another reasons why the Marines speaks to me more than any other Force. Like that Orlando Rogers said on that DVD I mentioned above... "Your joining the biggest and best boys club in the world".

Thankfully, just got to do my medical again. I think, I hope *text deleted*. I were lucky when I initially applied. I mentioned. We got the aptitude and psychometric tests, medical and eyesight test done all in the same day. *text deleted**text deleted*ing long day though *text deleted*.

Might sound a bit silly because we've only spoke a few times, but you seem a real sound lad and I would love it if we ended up on the same PRMC and/or Troop. Definitley established some common ground. Could arrange to get same trains down to Lympstone an' what 'ave ya *text deleted*.

Glad to hear you've overcome your setbacks and are back/still on course! (=

Yeah it was the PRMC one with Matt, and ive watched the "Frontline" documenty too. I think that the more you know the more relaxed you'll be, but some things will put the wind up your sails no matter what haha. Well if its any consolation (constalation? i dont know how to spell it but you know what i mean) i had to wait in that dingy medical reception for over...wait for it...3 hours, yes...3 muthatrucking hours!

I guess i have a very slight advantage by having done the endurance course twice, and the same goes for assault course. Disadvantag is knowing what the water smells like (a really bad trip to the bog will give you an idea :D)

Yeah same goes to you matey, sound lad, awsome to be same troop and put a face to a name, get on your PJFT quick!

tcsmith88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I agree entirely regarding the more you know about what your letting yourself in for the more relaxed you'll be because then you have at least some sort of idea what to expect. Yeah, I know what you mean about that dingy medical reception. Thankfully, recalling my memory I don't think I were in there quite as long but still a good 2 hours.

Oh right, that sounds good having done the endurance and assault course twice. Care to share to share any tips about them? :wink:

*text deleted*, that water sounds repulsive but I suppose it's just one of those things you've got to "grin and bare".

Ayye, I will try and get on my PJFT ASAP. Waiting for AFCO to give a call back but I might just chase them up myself. I'm actually going on holiday a week on friday (10th-24th October). My cousin is getting married in the Dominican Republic so it's like a holiday-come-wedding. I also celebrate my 20th birthday whilst I'm out there (= But will see what I can do.

Echoed sentiments much appreciated, by the way! :bigsmile:

Gixer600Dan

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
My PJFT is 16th October. Ah you lucky sod, very nice place to go for wedding, birthday, piss ups, and the obvious...:laugh:

Well both the endurance course and assault course are great or 'hoofin' as you might say, id say jumping across the planks on the assault course is the hairiest thing, but still fun. Endurance course is...enduring, never ending, soaking wet, smelly, lots of grunting, swearing, ripped knee's, and a bag of lafs at the same time, smartie tunnels rule though i dont care what people say! But im not exactly a big lad so...:blink: But what i will tell you is that they lie to you when they say, "200 yards more!"...bast*rds.

As for echoed sentiments - no problem. Oh and have you got your medical date yet?

tcsmith88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ohhh yesss, very nice place to go for all them. And as you hint, hopefully some hot totty within the vacinity too! :D :P

Haha, cheers for the insights! (= Sound lots of "fun" :wink:

Unfortunately, no date for my medical yet :( Still waiting to hear back from AFCO. I might just got onto them myself and see what's what.