hope this helps guys!!

L. Spradbury

Reaction score
Before reading, i apologise for anything *text deleted* repeated or missed out, *text deleted* been on and off typing this all day so couldnt really concentrate fully on it, any questions i will be happy to answer!!

Day 1

Here goes,i said id do a diary but some parts are a bit hazy in my mind because i spent a lot of day 2 mainly, absolutely exhausted. when you first arrive at lympstone you basically gather your equipment from the stores such as boots, combat gear etc.square your gear away in your locker and then polish your boots. the first day you get there is an absolute doddle, nothing really serious goes on, its mainly spent chatting with room mates and stuff which believe me you should make every effort to do. i had a brilliant bunch of lads in my section and would be over the moon to join any one of them in RT. i think the only problem i had with day one was the fact that i got there at half fourish so i had two mega crap pairs of boots. the blisters after day 2 were awful. a few other things worth noting before i start on the good stuff aswell are 1. i do suffer from nerves quite badly so hardly slept at all for the first two nights so i was knackered. 2. i have seen it mentioned many times that people hardly ever hit there maximums when doing there prmc but i hit above all my personal bests on all day two tests, which did boost my confidence massively for day 3.

day 2

personally i think day 2 which consists of the three miler and the gym test was easy, i think everyone who goes down to lympstone should know what they are cabable of, this day basically boils down to how fit you are.
the 3 miler was tough but is over in no time, i actually heard one of the corporals say that the faster you do something the less time you have to do it for!! i came 12th on the 3 miler and took 8.27 but didnt know that at the time personaly i thought i was ridiculously slow but obviously not haha. again thats another thing your told, dont judge yourself.

after the three miler we had various lectures on things i cant really remember, just all basic stuff, one was about fitness which to be honest was all stuff i already new. we had scran, and then spent time in our rooms. anything else i cant really remember.

the next big test was the gym test, the bleep test was the first test which i managed 13.4 in, i was worried beforehand that you would have to jump straight into press-ups, sit-ups and pull-ups, but rest assured you do get quite a bit of rest before each different test whilst the corporals do demonstrations and collect peoples scores and stuff. next was press-ups which i got 64 in, then sit-ups which i got 77 and finally pull-ups which i got the full 8 at, concerning pull-ups we did them to a beep, much like the bleep test and you were stopped after the eighth.

the best advice i can give is to get the bleep test on your mp3 player or your phone and buy a tape measure and just do the bleep test every so often, the bleep test is a good way of knowing where your running fitness is at. also try to concentrate on not fidgeting, i was adamant i would not fidget or scratch but i must have lost concentration for a second and i was doing tuck jumps for scratching.

after the gym test we went straight over to the pool where you had to jump off the 3 metre high board and swim 4 lengths, this isnt a pass or fail but you are required to do 1 length or it will be noted that you are a non swimmer. you will be greatful for the swim because it was very relaxing after the phys you had just done. the first day will knacker you out but if you find yourself almost wrapping! then you seriously need to worry about the next day.

day 3

in the morning of day 3 my section got up at 5am like we had the previous morning just so we could shower without rushing, this was a good idea just so you could just chill and enjoy a warm shower before you began the nightmare phys session that was to follow. we showered had scran, and then i think had a lecture of some sort before going down to bottom field, this was a very hard phys session containing sprints, hill sprints, drags and carries. before anything though we were all warmed up.also i was expecting warm-ups to be a lot harder but they were just basic warm-ups nothing spectacular.

After the warm-up we all had to have a go at crossing a rope correctly before taking on the high obs course. the high obs wasnt anything to tough you just had to cross a rope which i believe was 15 foot high, please correct me if im wrong, then climb up another five foot to a platform with two boards with a gap between that you just had to run across showing confidence at height and then climb up another 5 foot to cross another rope. i had to repeat the boards sections 3 times until i showed confidence so yeah dont worry aslong as you dont refuse to do it i dont think they will fail you on this.

after the high obs comes the first physical/mental test of the day, we just got told to sprint here and there numerous times, the corporals would say that the first 5 or 10 people wouldnt have to go again so everyone really did sprint so that you could have a bit of a break. also you would be told constantly to be the first man back and to never be last. in between sprints you would usually do press-ups, burpees, squats etc. you get the drift haha. after sprinting here there and everywhere, up a hill, round the monkey bars, round the wall, up the hill, round the cargo nets, up the hill. . . . we eventually got onto drags and carries and leapord crawling. i think the distance was probably somewhere between 50-100 metres. we had to do various carries with a partner taking it in turns then a drag, then leopard crawls. at some point during the bottom field workout we were told that we would usually be stopping at this point but 1 lad was caught for smoking and some lads had used the corporals mugs, we got an extra *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted**text deleted* for this. i guarantee the pti's will get you for something, so make sure your ready for a bit of an extra smashing now and again.

once the bottom field workout was over we went back to our accomodation and had to cram down some scran, a dry sandwich which i couldnt eat for the life of me and other various things, we were given 25 minutes to eat this i think bearing in mind you will be absolutely smashed, so it is nearly impossible to eat, personally i can never eat immediately after exercising especially after something so intense. the bottom field will really test your will to be thier, in my oppinion it was 2 maybe 3 times harder than any workout *text deleted* ever done.

after eating as much as we possibly could we were on a coach going down to woodbury common ready to take on the endurance course. guys i cannot stress enough how bad it is, it was absolutely horrendous and i have massive respect for anyone bloke who finishes it. on the coach on the way down there a corporal said to us that if we thought bottom field was hard, which i bloody well did haha we would find the endurance coursea killer, i think his exact words were, the endurance course is sickening, discusting and damn right horrible haha. i to be honest was feeling quite good about what i had done so far so didnt really listen to what he was saying, boy was i wrong!. once we were off the bus we warmed up and set off, the corporal leading would say come on boys and peg it off through the course as if he thought we were fresh as daisies. the basic structure of the course is through a lake, exercises up hills between tunnels, through tunnels, sheep dip, more exercises, lots of running between areas, crawling through muddy streams, more tunnels more running more exercises..... i apologise for a basic description but i was seriously in my own world, i really tried to take my mind off what i was doing and maybe i was just hanging out that much my mind wasnt functioning properly i dont know which. somehow i got through it only to take part in the 4 mile run back to camp which once i finished i was so fatigued i was in agony, i was lightheaded and all together hanging so badly. but i promise you when you finish that run and you have a look at the amount of lads left compared to how many started you will feel so proud of yourself, i literally had to hold back the tears, i think being so exhausted had my emotions flying all over the place. this will be the hardest thing you have ever done in your lives, i dont mean to make you more nervous than you probably are but seriously prepare yourself to the fullest because this really is a killer.
at the end of the day fitness goes out of the window the second you start bottom field, the whole day is serious mental toughness, you really do need a good mindset. everyone has there own reasons for being there but i think there are a few things that help, make sure you enjoy competition, always try to be the best and never give up. fear failure, think about how you would feel telling people at home that you quit compared to showing them your boots proving you have passed one of the hardest selection courses on the planet!

anyway once that was over you camp out on bottm field this was nice and relaxed, and believe me putting on your clean dry gear is absolute heaven!! you eat scran, put up your ponchos, organise a sentry routine, chat to the remaining lads and just relax to be honest. a few hours later you have your rifle test, taking apart and putting together, which you are shown how to do beforehand. this is pretty simple really. after this we had interviews where my section were told that we had all passed, we started with 11 lads one dropped out very early on and the rest of us passed 9/10 with A grade passes. we all slept well that night im sure even if we were getting up for sentry, were massively fatigued and in serious pain haha.

The next day was just spent packing, we had a few lectures, were told we had all passed and recieved certificates, and eventually home time, wahhhheeeyyy!

sorry guys if *text deleted* missed a hell of a lot which i no i have done, please feel free to ask as many questions as you want!! and remember day 3 is ridiculous, seriously make sure your as fit as you possibly can be, it helps massively!! and good luck!

Dannyh268

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for that mate and well done!! Good effort!
Endurance course sounds like hell! :eek:
What sort of training were you doing before prmc?

Thanks again mate!!

OneMoreWrap

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Can't wait to get myself onto PRMC!!
It sounds horrible, in a good way!

richie86

Reaction score
congrats u should be mega proud of urself!! likewise would be good to know what sort of stuff u were doing before, cheers mate.
well done again

j05h94

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers for that mate, was a good read. Can't wait to get down there tomorrow!

L. Spradbury

Reaction score
to be honest guys i trained hard beforehand but i never did anything complicated, id generally just run 6 nights a week and run hard! and then as soon as i got back i would crack out max press-ups max sit-ups and max pull-ups. and throughout the day i would just crack press-ups every so often. one thing i did practice was the bleep test, when i first started training i hit 8.4 and was physically sick, i was so unfit. but every time i did it i increased pretty much every time. no matter what you do it only works if you put in 100%. any workout can be effective!!

but thanks guys, i cant wait to start rt!!

and good luck jm64, DO NOT GIVE UP ;-)

Ren_Dundle10101

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Good read. I'm going down there tomorrow with jm64. Quick question, I have a long sleeve running top, is that ok (did people on your PRMC wear one and not get in "trouble") or should I just pick up a short sleeve one tomorrow morning?

hi-tee

Reaction score
do you remember how long you are on the endurance course for? and also what pace do you run the 4 miles back at?

have you any idea when you might start RT?

Well done for passing!

GingerjoeRM

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Great diary, great read too, thanks! Good effort. If you had to recommend any training to help with the assault course/endurance course/4miler etc, what would you recommend?

L. Spradbury

Reaction score
Good read. I'm going down there tomorrow with jm64. Quick question, I have a long sleeve running top, is that ok (did people on your PRMC wear one and not get in "trouble") or should I just pick up a short sleeve one tomorrow morning?
TO be honest I don't remember seeing anyone with a long sleeve top but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to where one, I'd probably just take both just in case!! ;-)

L. Spradbury

Reaction score
do you remember how long you are on the endurance course for? and also what pace do you run the 4 miles back at?

have you any idea when you might start RT?

Well done for passing!
Well we were told that the endurance course would last around 3 hours but honestly I can't be sure, including the 4 mile run back it does last for a hell of a while!! Also the pace was around 9 minute miles maybe slower.

I think there are still places at the beginning of April so I think I will be starting around that time if not slightly later!!

And thanks I'm so glad I passed!

L. Spradbury

Reaction score
Great diary, great read too, thanks! Good effort. If you had to recommend any training to help with the assault course/endurance course/4miler etc, what would you recommend?
For one mate we didn't do the assault course, it's closed apparently due to an accident, and I highly recommend masses of leg work, do duck walks and squat jumps, and plenty of hill sprints, I was very fit when I went down there but my legs suffered massively because I didn't do hardly any leg endurance work.

SeanWilson22

Reaction score
I was on this PRMC! What a hang out, i was your bivvie partner mate. I'm looking at 14th May RT date at the moment, hope to see a few others from 626 troop, all top lads. Especially green section!

DD

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
A good insight and wake up call for me to how prmc will be like. Cheers mate.

L. Spradbury

Reaction score
I was on this PRMC! What a hang out, i was your bivvie partner mate. I'm looking at 14th May RT date at the moment, hope to see a few others from 626 troop, all top lads. Especially green section!
Haha hiya mate, it's really nice to see lads on here who I really got on with, yeah I could be on the same one, I still need to have a good chat with my Afco, keep me informed mate, and we could end up in rt together, that would be awesome!!

Harvs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Good read mate, cheers! Bet you felt so proud on that journey home.

Alex.T

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
green section smashed it lad. i was green 6!! one of the welsh lads on top bunk!! Corporal said we was his highest scoring PRMC section he has ever had!! :bud: