Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Hopeful Commando

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by DwightSchrute, Apr 5, 2019.

1. DwightSchrute

DwightSchrute New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi all

I'm an 22-y/o student from South Africa - yet another Commonwealth applicant. My father was an officer in our military and my uncle a general. I would've like to commit to becoming an officer, but to the best of my knowledge it's not possible without British citizenship? I will instead attempt to become a part of the Marines as Other Rank.

I've been fascinated by the concept of a commando and the Royal Marines since an early age. Interestingly, commando originates from the Afrikaans term kommando and the type of unit the Boers used in the Anglo-Boer War. It's some fateful coincidence that my Boer heritage may one day link up with me in the form of a commando.

This forum is extraordinarily helpful and even motivational. Thanks to everyone for their contribution.

2. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

Welcome aboard, growing up as a Saffer, you'll enjoy the relaxed atmosphere that is RM training as you won't feel the need to constantly look over your shoulder, or run the risk of being shot at every other morning (to a degree) although you might not appreciate the weather quite so much.

I have amended your thread title from Hopeful Commie as this is a Royal Marines forum, not Antifa :D

• Like Like x 2
  3. DwightSchrute

DwightSchrute New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Ahaha, thought the title might raise some eyebrows!

The reading I have done and the footage I have seen of RM training has done nothing but entice me more. The weather is far from ideal, but not much I can do about that :D