Housing after RT?

culle444

Reaction score
Hi all,
I start training in June , providing all goes well will be passing out around February, March time. I’m definitely not looking past RT but what is the situation with housing afterwards? I’m in a long term relationship, but not married. My missus wants answers to questions I don’t really have the answers too at the moment. Would we still be able to get the same benefits as a married couple, or is it quite simple with the clue being in the name ‘married quarters’ ? Is the most likely outcome we would just have to rent privately somewhere close to wherever I get posted?
TIA

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hi mate,

You do not have to be married to live on the patch anymore so save the knee taking for the ranges!

When you're at a unit you'll be able to apply for SFA (Service Families Accommodation). Its not easy on a Marines wage if your mrs is out of work but still far cheaper than renting privately.

I have always paid between £350 and £450 per month including council tax for a 3 bedroom house. Comes straight out of your wages.

culle444

Reaction score
Brilliant mate, thanks very much for the info, should keep her off my back for a while!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Just to add, the size of quarter (Service Family Accommodation - SFA) entitlement, depends on the number of children. Ie, they are only obliged to provide a 2 bed flat if you have one child.

Sometimes there are surplus quarters available which are larger, but obviously more expensive.

Entitlement/qualifying criteria detailed here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/defence...ly-accommodation#entitlement-for-sfa-and-ssfa