Housing

Breeze2

Reaction score
Not sure if it’s been asked before but I’m starting at ctc next month, if all goes to plan and I pass out next year I was wondering how applying for housing goes. I’m in a long term relationship and my mrs wants to know if we would be able to get a house. My question is do you have to be married or have children to be allowed to apply for housing? Or is just being a serving marine in a long term relationship enough? Thanks in advance

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I’m pretty sure you have to be married to get joint accommodation.

Reaction score
Think I read somewhere that they’ve recently allowed couples in long term relationships to apply, but I believe you need something to prove it’s a ‘long term thing’ e.g. bills paid from a joint account. Could be completely wrong, I’m sure someone else can give a more definite answer.

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Not sure of the ins and outs but I know that you no longer have to be married. Every military married patch I've lived on there has been empty houses so it shouldn't be too much of a drama.

The military only have to provide what you're entitled to, so technically as a couple with no children a 1 bedroom flat would suffice, however I doubt they'd have any 1 bed flats so you'll probably end up with a 3 bedroom house which obviously costs more than a flat.