How can i progress on a tredmill correctly?

Richard

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I have just recently started to run again, the muscles in my legs use to tighten up every time i went for a run. How can i get the most out of my tredmill and what number/ time should i start with. i usually do level 13 for 10 mins 45 secs. i was advised to do this by a marine in the carers room. but it is only 2.0km. I think this has givin me my injury. Any help would be great
*text deleted*.

Rick

M

MTW

has your tight calves recovered now did you say? or do you mean they have come back since running on the treadmill?

reid81

Reaction score
I had hellish sore shins when I started running again, it passed but when it does come back its not as bad.
Bought some half decent trainers which helped outdoors no end.

{hellish shore shins}?? doh!

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I have just recently started to run again, the muscles in my legs use to tighten up every time i went for a run. How can i get the most out of my tredmill and what number/ time should i start with. i usually do level 13 for 10 mins 45 secs. i was advised to do this by a marine in the carers room. but it is only 2.0km. I think this has givin me my injury. Any help would be great
*text deleted*.

Rick
Are you using decent running shoes?
Do you stretch before running?
Do you start off slowly or are your just going flat out from the start?

Also we cant really know what a level on your machine equates to speed wise as machines differ is there any othe information given to you by the machine?

A treadmill shouldn't be used as your only training to run, there are many links in the Training section that wil allow you to map out a route near your home for running. Running on the road/offroad will improve you faster than a treadmill more often than not.

Tonus959

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
mate in all fairness, start training outdoors first with decent running shoes, i can recommend Asics, good shoe ideal for what u need.

Then a bit later on say 4 weeks on then start to get on the treadmill. Bail with any weight until u get in RCT training.

Richard

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
mate in all fairness, start training outdoors first with decent running shoes, i can recommend Asics, good shoe ideal for what u need.

Then a bit later on say 4 weeks on then start to get on the treadmill. Bail with any weight until u get in RCT training.
i do have nice running shoes with cushion. its the fact that i ran every day for about 2 weeks i started to get a pain i my legs. i stopped running for 2 weeks and started to run on a tredmill. i stretch before and after my workout. and i warm down after it. what else could i be doing wrong?

Tonus959

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
i do have nice running shoes with cushion. its the fact that i ran every day for about 2 weeks i started to get a pain i my legs. i stopped running for 2 weeks and started to run on a tredmill. i stretch before and after my workout. and i warm down after it. what else could i be doing wrong?
the worst thing is to run everyday, do 4 miles 3 times a week, and without a doubt buddy *text deleted* legs will kain for a godo few months, but just train through it and eventually *text deleted* muscles get use to it and adapt and u then can run with no pain.

Unless u really injure urself, i swear my shins caned for about 2 months then all of a sudden i didnt notice it and everything was class from there on, dont worry if *text deleted* a heavy man..(i dont know) because i was 15 stone before i even though about joing and by the time i got into RT i was 13 stone so dont worry bud *text deleted* legs will feel sore and cane..... but trust me train through it and u will breesze it later on ;)

Richard

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
the worst thing is to run everyday, do 4 miles 3 times a week, and without a doubt buddy *text deleted* legs will kain for a godo few months, but just train through it and eventually *text deleted* muscles get use to it and adapt and u then can run with no pain.

Unless u really injure urself, i swear my shins caned for about 2 months then all of a sudden i didnt notice it and everything was class from there on, dont worry if *text deleted* a heavy man..(i dont know) because i was 15 stone before i even though about joing and by the time i got into RT i was 13 stone so dont worry bud *text deleted* legs will feel sore and cane..... but trust me train through it and u will breesze it later on ;)
*text deleted* for your help *text deleted*. il take it in:shakehands:

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Brand of trainer means jack all. The TYPE of trainer is more important. All fun info from podiatrist.

The type of trainer you need depends on the type of foot you have, I pronate so I need something to stop my ankle and foot bending inwards, so I'm now using a neautral shoe with an insole. This caused my soleus etc muscles in the calf to over compensate and get injured easily, as well as causing nerve problems in the lower back due to pelvis twisting inwards.

If you get ANY pains from running you should always see a physio or podiatrist and never a doctor. Alot of podiatrists also have store sections where you can buy trainers the recomend. One I use has pressure pads so even shop staff can advise on the type of shoe you need.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Aye just train progressively, gradually increase speed and distance.

Sometimes if I do a heavy run, then run the day after I my legs will be very tight. But that is to be expected. I only do light recovery runs that won't tax me. Yesterday I did 4 miles, and today just 3 miles at a very light pace.

So you want to be running 3 times a week at least, as well as other CV. But I have got into the bad habit of just using a treadmill. As I had been doing weightlifting and CV in the gym for a year. Then I decided I wanted to join the RM, so the transition to running outside is a lot harder.

But don't buy any running shoes online, have your feat measured at a proper running shop. The guy made me run on a treadmill and used the software to look back at the way I run and how my feet hit a surface. I managed to get some ultra comfortable shoes that I've just started wearing.