How did your parents cope

Geryon

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
A lot of you are a lot further down the line of joining the royal marines (almost all of you probably), and I was wondering how your parents are taking it?
When ever I mention it to my mom she seems to get quite upset, and I was just wondering how yours are taking it further down the line.

Chris92

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
my mam was quite reluctant for me to join up at first but she is coming around slowly.
they don't like the fact that i will go to Afghanistan obviously but i keep saying it is a part of the job and if i get injured i will be doing the job that i have always wanted to do!
every parent is going to be worried about their son/daughter joining the armed forces but but it is just a case of talking to them about it!

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
My mom couldnt be happier *text deleted*

she likes talking about me going and thinks its a great career.

:sailor:

Knockton

Reaction score
My parents are seperated so i got mixed responses, my mum called me a dissapointment for not finishing college, but my dad's in the navy and he's really proud of me for trying to get into the royals

Nacnud

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
There seems to be a trend here, its always the mums that are reluctant/against joing the armed forces, whereas the dads are nearly always "go for it, son!".

My mum is not very pleased, but my dad just tells me to be happy, and if joining the royals will make me happy, he will support me. What a great dad *text deleted*.

Raz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I get ridiculed by relatives, but my dad thinks its a brilliant idea as he always wanted to be a commando but broke his arm and leg a looooong time ago.

hazza190

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
My parent are opposite to most of you *text deleted*.
My mum is like "go for it" and buying books and watching tv programs all about them which is'nt bad.
And my dad thinks its the marine corps so I've kinda gave up on him. I don't think he really cares *text deleted*, thats what 27 years in a office has done to him *text deleted*.

a flying dodo

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Mum and Dad are both against it, but they say they will support me and there is nothing they can do to be honest. I know they both think i cant do it, but i can just show them wrong.

stewie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
mt mum n dad are opptermistic aabout it. they keep sayin wat if u injury urself? wat if u it isnt 4 u? wat if u get sent to afganistan? they keep sayin wat if? in all farness they care the f*%k cant blame them im there little boy. but all the questions that they are askin, are startin to make me think.
chrz stewie

a flying dodo

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
However my mum is currently reading Commando by Chris Terril and she is enjoying it. I'm hoping she will understand my reasons for wanting to join.

Ipodbob

Reaction score
My dad is all for it thinking its a great career and a good life out of my small town. My mother on the other hand supports me a lot but when she has a drink or two which is most nights hehe, i always get the "are you sure you want to do this" and "Is this what you want to do in your heart" ect ect. *text deleted**text deleted*ing nightmare if you ask me.

Altho to be fair my mum has never really understood anything i do and most of the time oblivious to what i get up to as she is too concerned about trivial *text deleted**text deleted*. Must be a women thing.

S

Sotiris

My dad can't understand why I wouldn't want to join the Greek forces to serve to protect my country, in my country. He thinks as soon as I put on the Green Beret I'm as good as dead.

My mom is scared but coping.

lukey boy 91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
my mum and dad dont agree with war *text deleted* so they just dont speak to me about it but i think there glad i want to join the royal marines rather than some sh!t regiment

Smithy89

Reaction score
how did you parents cope?

got a bit of a problem lads, *text deleted* told my mum abwt it an she thinks itll be good for me and that if i want to do it she cant stop me, but obviously she knows itll be dangerous. however i still havnt told my dad, and i think he'll flip if i tell him. i mean theres no way he could put me off joinin but just wondered how you guys told *text deleted* parents? maybe get sum tips off it?

Ben

Reaction score
My dad use to be in the marines so he couldn't be happier. My mum recons I'll make a good soldier but whenever there's something about war on the news she's always asking if I still want to do it. Starting to piss me off. My granddad wants me to join the raf!

jamie.english

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of mixed responses, which is exactly what my family is like as well.

My parents are kind of proud that i'm going in (my dad is former Royal Navy), he desperately wants me to join the Navy.

The rest of my family DO NOT want me to join. They think I'm going to die. Although, I think the chances of being injured in town are a lot higher than going to afghan.

Although they don't want me to join, I know deep down they'll be very proud of me and would love to see me in the pass out parade.

Taylor.S

Reaction score
when my mum + dad heard that thats what i want to do, they accepted it but 1-2 months down the line there bringing panflets home about sports coaching and all of these rubbish in college... *text deleted*

Latest posts

New Threads