Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

How Do I maximise the chances of me becoming an officer?

Discussion in 'RM Officer questions' started by GHOSTCHAZ2001, Aug 17, 2017.

1. GHOSTCHAZ2001

GHOSTCHAZ2001 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Hello I'm 16 and thinking about applying to become an officer after I've completed my A-Levels. Aside from fitness work what else should I be doing to maximise my chances of being chosen for officer training?

2. its_meg

its_meg Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Do as many things as possible that show leadership (my AFCOs advice to me)

• Like Like x 1
  3. GHOSTCHAZ2001

GHOSTCHAZ2001 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Is there anything in particular that you've been told to do?

4. its_meg

its_meg Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Not particularly, just told to make sure I vary it from just my sports leadership related things which I do a lot of.

5. glos94

glos94 Well-Known Member

Get a job, I learnt much more from working than anything else. You gain experience from good and bad managers, gives you examples of teamwork, organisation etc.

My CV is incredibly boring, no cross country expeditions or qualifications, just school-sixth form-Uni.
    Working part time all the way.

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  6. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Life experience my friend maybe a degree. A job where you can become a manager or something apply when youre in your 20s id say

7. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Caviar recognition should be on point.

Jokes aside, although it is possible to go for a Commission with A levels, a degree definitely helps, and life experience.

Are you considering University? There are options available, OTC etc. and you can join the Reserves.

Being an officer is about people and battlefield management. Almost like a huge game of chess. Having life experience will definitely help.

• Like Like x 4
  8. wellmemedmyboy

wellmemedmyboy Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Join the Army Reserves if you go to uni, for a rifle company you could be fully trained within 4-5 months and work with your regs counterparts and do proper courses. Some units like the HAC and others have unparalleled oppurtunities that can fill your 3+ years to learn being a serviceman.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Remember reserves aren't a backdoor or there for entertainment, they are a functional element of the Armed Forces. And commitment is not to be taken lightly, it's not to boost your CV.

The OTC and other organisations, as much as I hate them and think they are a drain, they offer good life experiences for little commitment and no call up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  10. wellmemedmyboy

wellmemedmyboy Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    I agree. A suggestion such as that one could deploy during your time at uni or directly afterwards

• Like Like x 1
  11. wellmemedmyboy

wellmemedmyboy Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    I always mean to the 100%, with volunteering to do your part. I mean don't mince round and be a stereotype!

• Like Like x 1
  12. GHOSTCHAZ2001

GHOSTCHAZ2001 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    I wasn't planning on going to university. I was thinking about applying to join straight after A-Levels, do you think this will seriously hinder my chances?

13. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I don't think it would hinder you, if you had the qualities and did well and had the UCAS points. But it's definitely a plus to have a degree.

What would you answer be if POC asked you why you didn't go to Uni?

• Like Like x 1
  14. GHOSTCHAZ2001

GHOSTCHAZ2001 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    If I were to be asked that question I think my answer would be because I would rather gain life experiences and do something I was passionate about and enjoyed doing while also serving the country than be sat in a classroom for years more.

15. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet

And if the interviewer asked about whether you know about OTC and other opportunities available to students?

It's worth considering. Perhaps a responsible adult can weigh in?

16. cc1

cc1 (former RM)

Your response, whilst well-intentioned, comes across as wholly dismissive of academia - which (given that 90% of the applicants will come from this sphere) is probably not your best course of action.

What I'm basically saying is: Don't answer probing questions by making your situation so black & white. You are answering the question but you're also heavily inferring against higher education at the same time.

Remember: You're there to sell yourself, but don't attempt to do that by cutting down the achievements of others that have taken different paths. They're not asking these types of questions to back you into a corner; they're giving you the opportunity to present yourself as unique.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  17. GHOSTCHAZ2001

GHOSTCHAZ2001 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    I can see how my answer may be seen in that way however cutting down the achievements of others is in no way my intention at all. I was more expressing my personal choices and preferences and I do fully respect the decisions of those who do and have gone to university. For me it's just not what I would like to do.

18. cc1

cc1 (former RM)

Aaaaand this is how we arrive at the answer :cool:;)

• Like Like x 3