How do you know when your security clearance has been approved?

fattyboombatty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Filled out my online security clearance thing a few weeks back, had an email asking me to clarify my date of birthday for some reason - which i did.

When i log into the National Security Vetting Portal i get this:

This security questionnaire includes a 'Fetch Address' feature for automatic lookup of UK addresses from an entered postcode. If you wish to use this service then you will be required to grant permission for your PC to access it as per the instructions here

Please complete the form(s) below:
SCCompleted. (Submitted on: 08/11/2014 12:39)
Click herefor DBS NSV complaints procedure

Callum67

Reaction score
Mine has been "In progress" now for 8 weeks. Hope its not a sign that something is wrong..

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Mine has been "In progress" now for 8 weeks. Hope its not a sign that something is wrong..
At risk of tempting providence, I've not seen anyone in my AFCO (one of the busiest in UK) fail to gain SC for more than three years.

I seriously doubt DBS/NSV carry out full checks nowadays because they are seriously under-manned.

The last guy I saw knocked-back was a Nigerian who neglected to mention he'd done two years in nick for smuggling thousands of pounds of counterfeit sterling into UK. I kid you not.

Callum67

Reaction score
Famous last words. Hopefully it gets sorted out soon, last thing I want is more delays. I can't figure out why it would be held up, I've had a pretty uneventful history so far. Definitely nothing like that.

Last edited:

MumtoRM

Reaction score
It would be held up because it's c(r)apita!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Famous last words. Hopefully it gets sorted out soon, last thing I want is more delays. I can't figure out why it would be held up, I've had a pretty uneventful history so far. Definitely nothing like that.
Eight weeks is pretty much minimum of late & that's for a Brit who's never lived outside UK.

Callum67

Reaction score
Ha ha that would be the same C(r)apita that mean I'm more than likely going to be TMU'ed for the next few months then. Yeah I've lived in the UK all my life so it shouldn't be that, I'll give it a couple more weeks then see if I can chase it up.

Tsar

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Ninja I have a clearance letter from our police department in south africa will that help speed up my process?

fattyboombatty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ha ha that would be the same C(r)apita that mean I'm more than likely going to be TMU'ed for the next few months then. Yeah I've lived in the UK all my life so it shouldn't be that, I'll give it a couple more weeks then see if I can chase it up.

When I received the email requesting me to confirm my date of birth I was given a contact number for the assessment advisor

01904 662644

Might be worth a quick call just to see where you're at

Tsar

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Definitely.

Awesome. When I wanted to get it done they gave me funny looks and asked what I wanted it for then I told them I am joining the navy in the uk then they looked shocked hahha.

Callum67

Reaction score
So thats coming up for 3 months since I applied for SC now and my case is still "In Progress". Would it be best to contact NSV or my AFCO to try and chase it it? Also it wouldn't happen to have anything to do with the fact i'm TMU'ed would it?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Not much point calling DBS, it won't make any difference.

Being TMU doesn't alter anything with regard SC but getting your medical status resolved should be your priority as that is the thing delaying you completing selection & joining. Once you are satisfied your GP has provided the information required, there's not much more you can do.

Nitro159

Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread but I was emailed last week to verify my middle name, unfortunately it seems they assumed my first name was a part of my middle name. Corrected it for them (my entire name in parts of fore, middle and sur) and haven't heard anything back yet about it being inputted incorrectly (I did triple check my name as it is a tedious process on anything official I do due to its length and number of words involved)

Anyone else has this trouble?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
In my experience the only time I've seen problems is when the applicant or sponsor (AFCO) doesn't enter the individual's full name precisely as written on their birth certificate.

Very often applicants don't write their full legal name when submitting an online application or sometimes, if parents divorce & the child lives with Mum, their second name is illegally reverted to Mum's maiden name without Dad's consent on the change of name deed poll. (If Dad's surname is on the birth certificate, unless deceased, Dad's consent is required if the name change took place when the child is under 18).

Nitro159

Reaction score
Part of my name is double barrelled (twice) so I was given guidance by my AFCO on how to enter it so the system would accept it properly. Perhaps that's what happened as no divorce issues or otherwise that would affect my name and I took advice prior to signing up about my fore and surname on applications and moving forward as it's difficult to spell at first glance and also difficult to say at times (most people don't try they just use my first name instead) I have a feeling this issue will follow me through the process.