How do?

Sam87

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I just have a quick question.

How do you tell a protective mother that you want to join the Royal Marines?

gedro

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Listen 'ere Doris, I'm joining the Royal Marines Commandos, It's what I want to do, so just be happy for me that I'm doing something I want to do.

Jervis

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Listen 'ere Doris, I'm joining the Royal Marines Commandos, It's what I want to do, so just be happy for me that I'm doing something I want to do.

*text deleted*

Just said over dinner one night that i've got one life and im gona *text deleted**text deleted*ing use it to the best possible way i could think of. haha you'll be alright mate:bud:

Sam87

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score

haha that made me laugh

Richard

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I just told my mum that i want to do something professional in my life. She will understand what kind of man you have turned out once you have passed out!

rick1988

Reaction score
hiya mate, my mum was very against the idea of me joining the marines, after about 2 months of not speakin to her my dad "had a word". i wouldnt say she is supportive but she understands its what i want to do. in the early stages of my application she would only talk about it in a negative way saying im going to die or be mamed for a war we *text deleted* need to be involved in, now after a completed my prmc and got home she seemed proud of how far i have got and was actually asking about the prmc and what i did there. moral is mate mums only want the best for there sons and once they see how happy you are and how much you enjoy yourself they will start coming round to the idea.

Sam87

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
hiya mate, my mum was very against the idea of me joining the marines, after about 2 months of not speakin to her my dad "had a word". i wouldnt say she is supportive but she understands its what i want to do. in the early stages of my application she would only talk about it in a negative way saying im going to die or be mamed for a war we *text deleted* need to be involved in, now after a completed my prmc and got home she seemed proud of how far i have got and was actually asking about the prmc and what i did there. moral is mate mums only want the best for there sons and once they see how happy you are and how much you enjoy yourself they will start coming round to the idea.

Thats how i can see my mum been. I just don't think she will ever come around to the idea and tell me to 'stop been silly'

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I just have a quick question.

How do you tell a protective mother that you want to join the Royal Marines?

Most mothers are protective & rightly so.

The best way to bring mum around to seeing it your way is by involving her in the selection process from the outset- ask her to come with you to the AFCO so she can get the facts rather than be misled by outdated, inaccurate or downright dishonest tales told by politically motivated individuals with an agenda.

You need the support of your nearest & dearest throughout training & beyond, so do not ostracise your family. Even if you are over 18, sending a postcard from Lympstone is not the most diplomatic means of letting your family know your career intentions.

Blanio

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I had trouble with my mum mate and still do despite the fact i'm already at recruit training stage. However, i know after a while, when she can see how happy I am doing what I love, she'll express her pride a little bit more :) and stop giving me Sh*t all the time!

ben25

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
just send her an email when your in week 5 of RT

Ben

Sam87

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Thanks for all the answers lads. Ninja, that seems to be the best option and I'll just have to see how she reacts.

New Threads