How does it work they decide where you will be based?

Teddy_

Reaction score
I have question about where do you get based as a new green beret? Is it random or can you pick?

fine

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I read a post a few weeks back that said they sending alot of the lads passing out to logistics ?

Not sure if that's still the case (Hope not)
Few lads always get pinged in each troop for it. Just the way it goes unfortunately. Some do enjoy it, but of course it depends on what you make of it.

Benwolf

Reaction score
Few lads always get pinged in each troop for it. Just the way it goes unfortunately. Some do enjoy it, but of course it depends on what you make of it.
Are you to stay in the unit that you get drafted to until the end of your service? Or do you have the option to change after your 2 years General Duties, or further down the line.. Thanks.

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Are you to stay in the unit that you get drafted to until the end of your service? Or do you have the option to change after your 2 years General Duties, or further down the line.. Thanks.
God no, if lads got drafted to CLR and told they were there for the duration of their careers there would be a mutiny. You will get moved on further down the line usually a year to 18 months

Benwolf

Reaction score
God no, if lads got drafted to CLR and told they were there for the duration of their careers there would be a mutiny. You will get moved on further down the line usually a year to 18 months
haha thank you for the information, think that'll ease a lot of anxiety for new candidates.

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
It’s like I’ve said before faslamabad isn’t a bad place to be, there’s some real good things about being there. But like I’ve said it’s a different unit and they don’t travel nearly as much
Mine's there - loves it

R

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
It’s like I’ve said before faslamabad isn’t a bad place to be, there’s some real good things about being there. But like I’ve said it’s a different unit and they don’t travel nearly as much

That because of the Job? Weather? Helensburgh? Or the 50 quid cab fare back from Glasgow on a night out. Fried Mars bars are decent though. ;)

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hahah I was trying to stay positive
That because of the Job? Weather? Helensburgh? Or the 50 quid cab fare back from Glasgow on a night out. Fried Mars bars are decent though.

R

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hahah I was trying to stay positive

Me too. You'll never get a sun burn up there, if the short winter days and constant rain (7 months non stop!) Start to get you down the locals introduced me to a wonder tonic, which is part of their local culture called Buckfast Wine, more affectionately known as "Bucky" which contains about the same amount of caffeine as a pre trainer! -jimlad-

Chelonian

Reaction score
...which is part of their local culture called Buckfast Wine, more affectionately known as "Bucky"...

Strangely, it costs more to buy at source at Buckfast Abbey, Devon than anywhere in Scotland.

Duality

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Me too. You'll never get a sun burn up there, if the short winter days and constant rain (7 months non stop!) Start to get you down the locals introduced me to a wonder tonic, which is part of their local culture called Buckfast Wine, more affectionately known as "Bucky" which contains about the same amount of caffeine as a pre trainer! -jimlad-

That's more of a classic 'swaly'. The younger locals are on to Dragon Soup. Known as being 'oan the soop'.

Duality

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I love that the manufacturers say 'drink responsibly'. I don't think responsibility is on of the considerations when selecting dragon soop as your drink of choice.