How does sick pay work?

Joshusky

Reaction score
This question makes me look like a proper silly newby but I was just wondering how sick pay works within something like the Royal Marines, I'm asking this because in my eyes I would have thought that if you had a fever you would be told to suck it up and act like a man as it is the Royal Marines after all and they're seen as tough as nails. In line with this, where is the line drawn as to when you are medically discharged? Is it if you are not recovering fast enough or is medical discharge only given out to serious injuries/illnesses such as cancer or requiring a life changing surgery due to being injured in combat?

m2013

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
If your ill or injured you see a dr who gives a sick note.
This note says what you can and cant do it can range from at home on sick leave to something like no pt.

You get full pay regardless

An example was i had surgery. I went to see a dr in the med centre who gave me a sick note for me to recover at.home for 2 weeks until i was better. All on my.usual monthly pay

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Bottom line is you get paid 365 days a year, whether on leave, in training, on operations, on exercise, injured or unwell. Pay stops when you are discharged.

If you are long term ill or injured and there's little or no prospect of returing to the operational standard requirement, you'll undergo a medical employability board to assess the facts and probable outcome. If the condition is service attributed, you've served more than 8 weeks, then the individual maybe entitled to an award from the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme, depending on circumstances. It could be a lump sump and/or tax free pension.

The service has full medical facilities &-healthcare professionals who do an excellent job if a service person is injured or unwell, but if someone's feigning illness or injury, they certainly won't get unlimited sicknotes as seen elsewhere.

m2013

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
You cant deny the rise in sick notes that clash with things like exercise/range packages ninja haha

Latest posts

New Threads