How far is too far?

shhhhh159

Reaction score
I am thinking of joining the RMR whilst at uni. If I was in Swansea, my nearest Reserve Centre would be Bristol. I think it is only an hour and a half to 2 hour train journey or drive. Is this too far though? Also, would reserve pay be enough to mean I didn't need a normal job whilst I was at uni, as this is the only way I would be able to fit it all in (I think)?

shhhhh159

Reaction score
I am thinking of joining the RMR whilst at uni. If I was in Swansea, my nearest Reserve Centre would be Bristol. I think it is only an hour and a half to 2 hour train journey or drive. Is this too far though? Also, would reserve pay be enough to mean I didn't need a normal job whilst I was at uni, as this is the only way I would be able to fit it all in (I think)?
I actually think Cardiff is closer which I believe is about half the distance?

R4Robotics

Spectator
Reaction score
Failed the first test of recruitment Cardiff is your nearest RMR detachment, which is part of RMR Bristol.

R4Robotics

Spectator
Reaction score
As for your question I pay I think you get c£30-40 a day. As a recruit you will approx 1 weekend in 2.

RMR is not done for a salary. You also get travel up to 30miles.

other lads have travelled from Carmarthen and further afield to attend.

shhhhh159

Reaction score
As for your question I pay I think you get c£30-40 a day. As a recruit you will approx 1 weekend in 2.

RMR is not done for a salary. You also get travel up to 30miles.

other lads have travelled from Carmarthen and further afield to attend.
Okay thank you, and yeh the money isn't the reason for joining, but if I join whilst at uni it will need to be enough to be instead of a job as I wouldn't have enough time for one :(

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Okay thank you, and yeh the money isn't the reason for joining, but if I join whilst at uni it will need to be enough to be instead of a job as I wouldn't have enough time for one :(
Depends on how much funding you're getting from family or how much of your loan you have left over after rent and tuition fees etc.

I was an RMR nod in uni and couldn't make it work financially. As a recruit you come out with about £80-100 per month some months (except when on longer courses at CTC).

Quite early on we were told to each buy 2 bivvy poles for the following weekend. They're usually about a tenner each so absolute pennies to the rest of society. I only had 1 on inspection and was about to be Flanked; somehow got let off the flank when the Tp Sgt asked why I only had the 1 and I explained it was genuinely all I could afford until the following week o_O

Honestly it's a hard question to answer because everyone is different financially.

R4Robotics

Spectator
Reaction score
Depends on how much funding you're getting from family or how much of your loan you have left over after rent and tuition fees etc.

I was an RMR nod in uni and couldn't make it work financially. As a recruit you come out with about £80-100 per month some months (except when on longer courses at CTC).

Quite early on we were told to each buy 2 bivvy poles for the following weekend. They're usually about a tenner each so absolute pennies to the rest of society. I only had 1 on inspection and was about to be Flanked; somehow got let off the flank when the Tp Sgt asked why I only had the 1 and I explained it was genuinely all I could afford until the following week o_O

Honestly it's a hard question to answer because everyone is different financially.
Think it would have been your honesty rather than a *text deleted* excuse that saved you the flank