How far will effort get you at PRMC

the_robmeister

Reaction score
As we all know, at PRMC the instructors look for how much effort you put in, and it can make the difference between a pass and a fail.

But how much leeway would putting in max effort give you if you didnt get good scores? i.e, you were below average on the tests but showed that you gave it your all. Would they you have a good chance of passing, as you have shown you are willing to put the effort in, or would it not make a big enough difference to ignore your scores?

Opinions welcome

JK

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I personally don't think they will give you much leeway. My last PRMC i done bad on the tests but i put in 110% effort! my veins were sticking out my head, neck, arms ohh damn! i tried so hard.

Try your best to get as close to the needed score ass posible.

JK

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
don't laugh, as this was near enough 8 months ago!

20-30 press ups :eek:ops:
69 situps
and 5 pull ups

and the 3 mile run i came 44th

the_robmeister

Reaction score
Wont laugh mate, promiseAny idea why your press ups wasnt so great? Did you not prepare enough or just had a bad day, because the sit ups and pull ups wasnt bad.
(Not being a nosey b*text deleted**text deleted**d, just interested) :D

JK

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I went in for my PRMC not realising how hard it actually was. I didn't do much upper body before hand either! so it came as a bit of a surprise for me.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The moral to this one guys is you will be told which disciplines involve a pass/fail criteria at your PRMC brief in your AFCO. If you cannot reach those standards there's no shame in deferring your PRMC until you reach the standard- at least then it will not class as a fail.

Chris5818

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
All depends, i knew someone a few years back who passed with 30 Press Ups, 45 Situps and 3 Pull Ups. There crap scores but are all (aprat from the Pull ups) above the minimum score, so guess they saw something in him

Lshort1988

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
All depends, i knew someone a few years back who passed with 30 Press Ups, 45 Situps and 3 Pull Ups
are the minimum standards that low!? i didnt realise that, that gives me a bit of a boost actually knowing i can do alot more on all of them :D

Chris5818

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The minimum scores are around 20 for press ups 30 for sit ups 3 for pull ups, and the maximums are 60/90/6.

Still aim for maxmimums though.

lord_carl

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Dont go in with the attitude i can do more than what people are passing with because the sergent major will quash it on day one saying "We are looking for effort so dont listen to what you hear on the grape vine" So say someone who passed did the 3 miler in 9:45 and your like :*text deleted*: :*text deleted*: i can beat that so you come in at a 9:00 but are not sprinting across the line with your eyes poping out then they WILL take it into account.

C

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed Lord_carl. They are not looking for Rambo, they are looking for team players. Someone who gives it there all will be noticed for sure. Pushing yourself to your limits will make a big difference, as will helping the other troops do there best. Showing that your a team player will be much better then going there, being quiet and destroying all the physical tests. Again, this is all in my opinion, but from doing all the reading I've done, it seems that comradery, and a sense of humor is just as important as physical strength in the Marines.

Globe-Trotter

PRMC Passed
Reaction score
Ninja_Stoker said:
The moral to this one guys is you will be told which disciplines involve a pass/fail criteria at your PRMC brief in your AFCO. If you cannot reach those standards there's no shame in deferring your PRMC until you reach the standard- at least then it will not class as a fail.
Is there a time limit you have to do the PRMC in after the PJFT or any other of the parts of the appliciation process?Like 12 months from your medical date etc?

As for me I wont be going to PRMC until I can do the maximum on each dicipline at least.

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Globe-Trotter said:
As for me I wont be going to PRMC until I can do the maximum on each dicipline at least.
I hear ya Globe. Back when I was a young boy , 18 or so, I was doing 3 sets of 50 push ups before bed. Jeez, now I can't even hit the 40 mark on 1 set. Granted now Im nursing a dislocated shoulder from 3 years back which throws me off.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Globe-Trotter said:
Is there a time limit you have to do the PRMC in after the PJFT or any other of the parts of the appliciation process?Like 12 months from your medical date etc?
Spot-on, your PJFT is valid for 12 months, after which you must re-take it before you can go on PRMC.

Roddie

Reaction score
Ahh man, that sucks. 12 months.
Had my medical today, and the doc said that he didnt think I was fit enough. He said I should be able to run 9 miles, 80 minutes, 30lb of kit in boots BEFORE I attempt the PRMC. Isn't that the 9 mile speed march in the Commando Tests - Week 31? So now I have my PJFT in 20 odd days, have completed standard already, but have got to wait however-many-moons til I can go on my PRMC, just so some doc is satisfied. B*text deleted**text deleted**d.

I wanted to go on the 8th Jan. PRMC, and my AFCO said that could be poss. providing I pass the PJFT, and then start RT end of Jan. (providing there's also placements) but know I may have to wait for March til my PRMC and then May for RT. Gawd. Pissed off.

Roddie,

lord_carl

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You should tell your doctor you would quite happily do what he says if he wishes to acompany you on the 9 miler *text deleted*

Plummy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
feel sorry for you mate but at least u had a bloke aye..i had a woman..touching with my testis i know it must be sound great! but no not by a granny ..but then again..by a bloke :shock: would be veryy :eek:ops: *text deleted*

Roddie

Reaction score
Haha, I didn't get the infamous cough test!
I dunno if he was aloud to? I'm 16 so...
And my mate who's in week 26 right now, got the same doc, cough test...

I would happily run the 9 miler with him.
He must weigh at least 25 stone, and he was trying to lecture me on fitness! Cheeky tw@t! *text deleted*.

Roddie,

Plummy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* im only 17 and *text deleted* legal begal sunshine if he wnted to stick his finger up your arse im sure he would be allowed *text deleted* :D :P :wink: