How Hard shall I Work

Roy Brown

Reaction score
On all Royal Marines sites it emphasizes not to push to hard so as not to injure yourself but i'm a bit concerned. For instance i could go out right now do a 1.5 mile run in say 8.5 minutes but end up with sore ankles a stitch sore thighs and completely out of breath. So instead i'll try to pace myself but end up putting in a pathetic time with plenty of energy left to do more. Help me!

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
basically everyone has a comfort level of fitness, i.e. my average mile is 8 mins off road and about 7 on road. and i feel comfortable doing about 30 press ups strait off just to keep my strength up. and if i was pushing myself i would do something like 40 press ups or try for a 6 min or 6:30 min mile something like that.

its hard to explain really because everyone has different limits on their physical fitness and how far they can push themselves.

Some advice i could give you is aim for a fitness goal that you can't reach, say something like 60 press ups in one go and work your way up to that. for example, find out your max then do 10 or 15 less press ups than your max until you start finding it easier and keep increasing your reps every week or so until you hit 60 then choose a higher goal.

and by not working to hard i think everyone means something like not doing like 2 or 3 runs a day at best effort with 2 circuits then doing it the next day. unless your used to that of course.

but what your getting after your 1.5 is probably due to lack of a proper warm up. because 8 mins 30 sec is a pretty fast pace and your body can take a bit of a pounding even at that short a distance