Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

How important is a degree?

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by Stroll147, Apr 21, 2020.

?
  1. Yes (life experience but older at joining)

50.0%
  2. No (join younger but still mature, allowing longer in corps)

50.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stroll147

Stroll147 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hello,

So I know that formerly a degree was very important and actually meant you could progress up the ranks quicker etc. but am I right in thinking it changed a few years ago because they concluded a degree doesn't make someone a better officer, therefore meaning degree or not promotion time is the same?

Any information on the direct impacts of degree/no degree is appreciated, but please no it gives you life experience, maturity etc. comments because I already understand that - I just want the direct effect in the corps (i.e. someone gets captain quicker bcs of degree?)

Thanks!

2. The guide

The guide Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure

No they dont.!..in a nutshell. Beyond getting in it really has little to no effect on promotion , or how or where you work

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  3. Stroll147

Stroll147 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Awesome thanks, and how big is the effect on me getting in without one if I have a considerable amount of stuff on my CV already that they would want anyway (leadership quals, volunteering etc.)?

4. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Didn’t we already discuss this on your other thread. Let’s not duplicate threads- it’s untidy.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Stroll147

Stroll147 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Yeh but it was more just how it looks good on a CV, I want to know how it works regarding promotion in the Corps meaning for anyone else looking its neatly titled within the POC Section.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

You have three threads running now on this very topic.
    I’m going to lock two of them and leave one running as a master thread. I suggest we use the thread that already has helpful responses on it.

https://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/good-qualifications-for-potential-rm-officers.127494/

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.