how important?

CommandoJ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
hi guys

how important is stretching mainly before exercise?

as i always do it after makes be feel better after it.

i find that if i don't i feel discomfort in running etc...

any ideas

CJ

JasonMc

Reaction score
Check out this website mate i used it everyday during my weightlifting phase, as youl most definatley know weights are NOT the correct way to train for the royal marines *text deleted* however there is alot more to it then just pumping iron from Warming up & stretching to motivation & nutition so dont be put of by the title. I think its possibly one of the best places on the net!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/index.html

matty630

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It is very important to stretch before exercise to minimise risk of injury whilst exercising, stretch after aswell anyway.

M

MTW

i read recently they did a study in it, and found that not streching, when running anyway dosent have any effect, and the study that didnt stretch performed better........but that was done in america, and i can tell the defference when i stretch, but yea 5 min jog to warm the muscles, then 20 sec hold, and after exercise 40 secs each one, but id say it was most important to stretch properly afterwards, to prevent the aches and pains the next day etc...

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
It is very important to stretch before exercise to minimise risk of injury whilst exercising, stretch after aswell anyway.
Spot on.

From the Official RM Website:

Warming Up and Stretching
Injury is a very real and sometimes unavoidable reality of training. If you warm up properly, and stretching sufficiently, you will improve your flexibility, which in turn improves your strength. More importantly, used correctly, you will reduce your chance of getting injured. Always warm up thoroughly (minimum of 10 minutes) prior to exercise.

Do this by performing some light aerobic type movements and then stretch the major muscle groups of the body for at least 10 seconds. Do not "bounce", overstretch (experience pain or discomfort) or stretch cold muscles.

Warm Up Stretches
Stretching and gently warming up the body is essential in preparing for exercise. Ensure you breathe normally during each stretch. Failure to warm up the muscles and mobilise the joints can lead to injury. A minimum of ten minutes before and after each period of exercise should be spent stretching and warming up/down.

Ensure you warm up all the muscle groups and mobilise all joints. Get into a set routine and work from top to toe. Once you have completed your warm up and stretch, carry out a two-minute jog that will warm the body generally and start your heart working effectively. If at any time during your stretch you experience any pain – STOP.
If the pain persists consult your doctor.

ALWAYS OBEY THE SIX RULES OF STRETCHING

1. Always ensure a correct start position.
2. Always stretch slowly.
3. NEVER bounce the stretch
4. Hold the stretch for at least twelve seconds.
5. Stay relaxed and stretch under control.
6. Never ask another person to push the stretch further.

It seems that it is to be encouraged. strongly.