Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

How long did it take to get running speed back?

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by Griff149, May 5, 2020.

1. Griff149

Griff149 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Afternoon gents.

Been suffering a bit from the dreaded shin splints but mostly on the mend now I think!

I’ve been grafting away on my rowing machine and banging out some nasty 60 min AMRAP’s to keep the heart going but with my RMR RT start date in August, I’m a bit worried about how quickly I’ll be able to get my running back up to a decent level if I can’t hit the roads properly again till June time.

Would be curious to hear from anyone who’s suffered how quickly your running mojo returned after injury?

2. Soap_TNDO

Soap_TNDO Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Haven’t really had any success with getting speed involved consistently, but I’d be keen to hear if anyone has. I find that I can do 1-2 speed runs and then symptoms start coming back again.

3. Griff149

Griff149 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    I’d build back into it slowly mate. Learn what your body can tolerate before your symptoms come back again. If you can train without symptoms, stick to that intensity for a little while. If you still have no pain for a week, increase by maybe 10% each week. Marginally faster / longer runs are a good way to do this.

I’ve learnt there’s no quick fixes with shin splints. You have to go back slowly.. If the speed sessions are causing your symptoms to come back you need to dial it back a bit. Don’t be afraid to return to run just go back slowly and don’t try and return where you left off if you want to avoid re-injury is my advice mate!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Soap_TNDO

Soap_TNDO Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Blinding, thanks for the advice mate. My last run was 8 miles in 58mins which caused them to hurt, but I just did my first steady 3 miler in 23:30 after a couple of weeks rest and so far so good. Admittedly that was the first time I did 8 miles, everything felt good until the following day, when the shins flared up.

• Like Like x 1