How long do you sign up for in the RMR

black sabbath

Reaction score
Hi, I just have a few questions about how long you sign up for in the RMR, as I've had conflicting advice. I've heard two different stories, one that when you join the RMR there is no contract to sign up for and if you wish to leave you just have to give four weeks notice, then I read somewhere else that when you join the RMR you sign up for 12 years, but can leave at any time as long as you give four weeks notice, but as you have signed a 12 year contract, should you be required to, you can be called up, does anyone know which is true. thanks

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hi, I just have a few questions about how long you sign up for in the RMR, as I've had conflicting advice. I've heard two different stories, one that when you join the RMR there is no contract to sign up for and if you wish to leave you just have to give four weeks notice, then I read somewhere else that when you join the RMR you sign up for 12 years, but can leave at any time as long as you give four weeks notice, but as you have signed a 12 year contract, should you be required to, you can be called up, does anyone know which is true. thanks

First, where did you hear it? If it was from some random, take it with a pinch of salt.

Both technically. There’s a difference of commitment from being a nod, and passed out.
Hopefully one of the big cheeses will be along to address it full.

Can I ask why you chose RMR and not regular service? Are you in fulltime education?

posh_punter

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score

Hi mate we got told you're free to leave whenever with 4 weeks notice as long as you're not scheduled for deployment. As I understand it, the 12 years thing is not about requiring you to stay in the RMR for 12 years, it's more of a maximum service i.e. at the end of the 12 years you might have to leave the RMR. Obviously this can get extended if you become an NCO etc. and there are plenty of mega experienced blokes in our unit who have been in for way longer.

To be honest, the actual legal commitment is much less than you'd imagine - although that didn't stop one bloke's teenage sister crying when he went in for his recruit test because she thought she'd never see him again. Likewise, my Mum still won't let me talk about it.

Basically, I think none of us are under any illusions about liability to be deployed once we finish training, but in most cases it's a minimum of 2 years of very demanding training away and a lot can change in that time. The RMR deploy individuals rather than as a unit like in the Army Reserve, so deployments very much depend on your individual circumstances and skills.

In short, you're not 'signing your life away' just yet and you get to spend at least one weekend per month getting paid to not sleep and wash your nuts out of a mess tin in the middle of winter in a wood with a load of other blokes. What's not to love.

Last edited:

black sabbath

Reaction score
Ahh thanks for clearing that up, so if I did decide to quit and give 4 weeks notice, they wouldnt call me back up as we have signed a 12 year contract., thanks again

Chelonian

Reaction score
In uni, so thought I could worked it along side.

Research the idea and give it considerable thought. The Reserves augment Regulars and demands a considerable time commitment which might not mesh with university terms and exams.

Which is the purpose of UOTC, etc. It exists to be compatible with the academic year.
Many have their own opinions about UOTC and I won't bore you with mine. :) I'm not being negative about UOTC but I think it's fair to say that the experience can be variable.

Some people have combined university and RMR with success though. Contacting your local detachment and asking questions might be a good move. You wll get some current feedback about how others who share your specific situation have fared. Best of luck.

Chelonian

Reaction score
...although that didn't stop one bloke's teenage sister crying when he went in for his recruit test because she thought she'd never see him again.

If it's anything like my family she may have been crying with joy because she thought that she'd be upgraded to the bigger bedroom. :)

Catto

Reaction score
I dont believe they can call you up once you have left. You cant wrap in once you have been mobilised either. It is a 12 years contract and if they decide to keep you it is then followed by a 8 year contract. I believe its every 5 after that but i would imagine their could be a age limit. Its not a bowls club after all.

posh_punter

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Yeah mate, if you want to wrap during training you just tell them you want to wrap, hand back your kit and that's you done. Expect everyone to try and talk you out of it, but ultimately if you don't want to be there then they don't want you there.
Several people dropped out during the first few weeks for various reasons, mainly due to work or family commitments, but a few just decided it wasn't for them. You've got at least two years to work out if it's what you want to be doing.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
In uni, so thought I could worked it along side.

Joining the RMR isn’t a free for all, nor a back door or easy way into the Royal Marines.
It’s a live, active unit with the commitment to the Regular Royal Marines. You can be called up and utilised for various Operations.

The commitment is a lot more than your average Army Reserve. And it’s not a jolly. If you want a jolly or a drinking club, look at the OTC, or similar units. All the fun stuff, but no call up. (Despite what the arrogant sods tell you in the bar). You will not deploy on operational with them.

Consider it. And which ever you choose, throw yourself into it and get amongst it.

posh_punter

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Joining the RMR isn’t a free for all, nor a back door or easy way into the Royal Marines.
It’s a live, active unit with the commitment to the Regular Royal Marines. You can be called up and utilised for various Operations.

The commitment is a lot more than your average Army Reserve. And it’s not a jolly. If you want a jolly or a drinking club, look at the OTC, or similar units. All the fun stuff, but no call up. (Despite what the arrogant sods tell you in the bar). You will not deploy on operational with them.

Consider it. And which ever you choose, throw yourself into it and get amongst it.

Yeah, hope I didn't imply that it's a less serious version of the regulars. The RMR so far has been the most challenging thing I've ever done, both physically and mentally. A large proportion of the training team and trained ranks have been to Iraq and Afghan. It's the real deal.