How long does it take?

proudtobebritish

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Just wondering lads, how long does it take for them to process your application form and everything.
I sent mine on Thursday, just wondering when I will roughly hear from them.

Its the Glasgow AFCO if that helps. Might be slow at Glasgow or fast *text deleted*.

But whats the average time until you hear from them?

Metalorix

Reaction score
I was wondering this too, I sent mines away yesterday ( 14th of august ). The link is broken, it doesn't work.

Phantom

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
This is from one of Ninja_Stoker's posts.

How long does it take to join?

Most people take around 6 months on average. The fastest I've processed anyone is 3 months from sitting the recruiting test to entry.

You will get a definite yes/no at each stage of the process, for example, if you fail the Recruiting Test, it's a "No" at that stage- you can go no further. Likewise at interview, medical, PJFT & PRMC.

To give you an idea (bearing in mind it varies from AFCO to AFCO & time of year):

Submitting Application forms to Recruiting Test - typically about 2 to 3 weeks
Passing test to interview- typically within two weeks
Passing Interview to Medical- up to 2 weeks (ish)
Passing Medical to PJFT - up to 28 days
Passing PJFT to PRMC- usually 28 days
Passing PRMC to entry- usually between 4 to 8 weeks

Again, it is quite unusual for someone to 100% ready to attend PRMC from the outset - the "wake-up call" usually happens after you pass medical & if you have the luxury of attending a Royal Marines Acquaint Day before you request to attend a PRMC.

Follow the link for a guide to the Selection Process:

How to Join : Careers : Royal Marines Home

Admininstration Tips to ensure your selection runs smoothly:

TO ENSURE YOU GET THE EARLIEST POSSIBLE ENTRY DATE YOU MUST:

ڤ FULLY complete & return all application forms- Check Full postal addresses of nominated referees.

ڤ Pass Recruiting Test

ڤ Pass Selection Interview

ڤ Return FULLY completed Security Questionnaire- must be BLACK ink, covering a full 5 years of previous addresses of yourself & parents (& partner, if applicable)

ڤ Pass eyesight test (Ideally before medical)

ڤ Pass Medical

ڤ Ensure both references are completed & returned by your nominated referees- CHECK.

ڤ Pass Pre-Joining Fitness Test

ڤ Pass PRMC

ڤ Provide 4 X colour passport photographs.

ڤ Return all completed entry documentation upon receipt- do not delay

ڤ Possess a valid passport- CHECK

YOU WILL DELAY YOUR APPLICATION PENDING COMPLETION OF THE ABOVE

Skuce101

Reaction score
the entire application process averages at between 6 and 10 months i believe, depending on how quickly you pass each element, whether you pick up any injuries and how fit you are to begin with.

Look at it this way, if you really want this, it'll be worth the wait.

xdous

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Just as an added note I am guessing that post by Ninja_Stoker was some time ago as I believe most AFCOs have the PJFT before the interview now, however, it could vary from AFCO to AFCO.

matts

Reaction score
yeh I think it varys, my AFCO in birmingham said on average it takes 4 months to process.

MattC

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I was told 6-7 months on average at my afco. I dont remember seeing or completing the security quesionaire about the last 5 years of previous addresses. I put my current employer as my first referee but i hope they dont write to them until i get an offer of employment.

ex killick

Ex-Matelot
Reaction score
I was told 6-7 months on average at my afco. I dont remember seeing or completing the security quesionaire about the last 5 years of previous addresses. I put my current employer as my first referee but i hope they dont write to them until i get an offer of employment.

They've asked both of my ref's for a ref already mate, and I'm just waiting on a PRMC date. So, they'll probably be asking before you get an RT date.

MattC

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Damn, i've not told my current employer of my plans as it could affect my hours at work or job, in the application notes it says they wont as ask employer for reference unless i give them permission. :unsure:

ex killick

Ex-Matelot
Reaction score
Damn, i've not told my current employer of my plans as it could affect my hours at work or job, in the application notes it says they wont as ask employer for reference unless i give them permission. :unsure:

I think that I gave them permission at my interview though, so you maybe right on that mate. But I didn't put my current employer down as I was worried about the same as you.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
If you don't want us to request a reference from your employer initially, don't nominate them as one of your two references on your application form. If you have, ring your Careers Adviser to state you do not wish us to contact your employer yet & give details of an alternative referee at the same ime.

We need two references as part of the Basic Check Verifiction Record to gain Security Clearance.

MattC

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I will ring them today while on my lunch break i was just going by the application notes that came with the form which said they will not contact employer unless i happy for them to do so. :wacko:

MattC

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ok i spoke to my afco and they said they dont request references till post interview or if you wish when an offer of employment has been made if you feel it may affect your job. They made a note of it on my folder. So if anyone is in similar postition check with their afco and let them know.

tortuga626

Reaction score
dang i just got my packet saying what date to take the written test....its 3 month from now..why is it so far away? should i call my AFCO in Oxford n try and get an early date?
thanks

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Assuming you are an overseas applicant, or were at the time of applying, we usually pre-book the selection process with plenty of notice so that cheaper flight arrangements can be made & selection process elements can be "lined-up" in rapid succession to minimise stay time in UK.

If you want an earlier date call your AFCO but be aware if traveling from overseas that shorter-notice to enter into the selection process may mean your application process time is dealt with routinely.

tortuga626

Reaction score
alright thank you sir,
i grew up in California therefore had to give a California adress. I now live in Portugal to get outta trouble and been training here for 3 months...Do you think it is possible to get an earlier time?

thank you

RMCom

Reaction score
I applied late July 2014 and now I've just been given my PRMC date on the 27/01/15 so it's quite a while, I found that each step is a month or so apart which mine was, hope this helped.

New Threads