How long does training last?

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
??

I've heard, 12 months, 18 months and 24 months?

Assuming everything goes smoothly, is it 12 months?

Thanks.

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers, I've had a look at the site but it still seems inconclusive.

It still seems the course is 12 months but you spend 18 months doing it?

Also, do you have to be in employment to sign up?

encn

Reaction score
No you don't have to be in employment to sign up.

Yes, the course of ~12 weekends and 2x 2weeks continuous training are planned over a year. so it you nail it all 1st time you should be done in 12 months from the selection weekend.

What you have to factor in is you may not pass everyhting 1st time, or you might miss bits, or get injured, and you'll spend some time (4 months in my case) in holding troop before the selection weekend, so that's where the 18-24 months comes from. Most people (that don't wrap) get their green lid in 12-18months.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Recruit Training in the RMR is in some respects very difficult as you have to maintain a high level of fitness over a longer period & have the distractions of living at home with family & work commitments.

Regular Royal Marine Recruits get paid exclusively to train during the working day - in the RMR, you have to make your own time & only get paid when on official events either at or sponsored by your unit.

The incidental fitness training for RMR is in your time, not the Corps, hence for every person passing selection & starting RMR Recruit phase one training only around 22.5% finish. You have to be 100% focussed for up to 24 months & for that reason many undergraduates find they have bitten off more than they can chew trying to balance a reasonably graded degree & trying to gain a Green Beret- not easy!

whitcombece

Reaction score
I've heard that RMR training is modular, what does this mean? are there breaks inbetween phase one and two training? for undergraduate recruits is there a chance that the two week training exercises would overlap lectures during the semester?? cheers

encn

Reaction score
I don't really get how it's modular! there's a clear distinction between phase one training (roughly 1 weekend every 3 for about 6 months, then a 2-week course) and Phase 2 (same sort of plan as Phase 1). But there's no break inbetween really.

And I would say the 2 week courses will almost definately clash with uni. we have a phase 2 guy who's a teacher so can only go on courses that co-incide with academic holidays - it is possible but expect it to take a lot longer if the only 2 week courses you can go on are in July - you'll probably only be able to do one course a year so it'll take 2 yrs minimum.

FatSmudge

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions with regards to the training after PRMC.

1. Where does your weekend training normally take place?
2. What kind of notice are you given as to the dates of these weekends?
3. What happens if you have to miss ONE weekend, how do you makup this time?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions with regards to the training after PRMC.

1. Where does your weekend training normally take place?
2. What kind of notice are you given as to the dates of these weekends?
3. What happens if you have to miss ONE weekend, how do you makup this time?

1. It depends which RMR unit you are with. some training is fairly local, some has to be taken on the CTC exercise areas. It varies.

2. Once you pass selection you will be told when & where the scheduled training will take place over the next year - you will have plenty of notice.

3. If you cannot make one of the scheduled training slots or fail to complete it to a satisfactory standard, it's possible you may be able to complete the missed/failed element with other guys from your unit who are similarly unable to complete it or possibly with another RMR unit yet to complete that bit. It's up to you to make yourself available - in the worst case scenario, you may have to wait 12 months for it to come around again. Having said that some units are trying to get two recruit troops running, 6 months apart so as you can be back-trooped 6 instead of 12 months.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Cheers, I've had a look at the site but it still seems inconclusive.

It still seems the course is 12 months but you spend 18 months doing it?

Also, do you have to be in employment to sign up?

Most people (that don't wrap) get their green lid in 12-18months.

The average RMR Recruit takes between 18-24 months to complete the training package. If you make yourself available & successfully complete every element first go, then it may take less than 18 months.

You may join the RMR if unemployed, but frankly if you're unemployed, why not join the Regular RM & get paid to train rather than having to voluntarily keep the tempo of fitness going for over a year or two?

New Threads