how long form afco to prmc?? Average..

crackhour

Civilian Member
Reaction score
Just wondered how long form the first presentation from careers until the PRMC..IE: How long do I have left to train???

I realise this is different for everyone but is there anyone out there who might say what the average time is??

Any thoughts would be appreciated..

Cheers guys..

roguesniper

Reaction score
well its about 3-4 months to get to rt stage.

prmc stage i say 2-3 months

Olliemills

Reaction score
Alright, I applied in late october and had PRMC on the 25th march and i'm starting my RT on monday, woop!

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
From your first 'informal/Give me my info' interview, around 3-5 months on the basis you pass everything first time and get everything booked at the soonest available point =)

That's a really rough guess so give or take a few minutes..

dombeeston

Reaction score
i passed everything 1st time and did everything as soon as possible and its took about 6 months in total and i start RT on monday, i think my AFCO is slower than others tho *text deleted* every1 from my place seems to hav to wait longer than others...

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
To be honest, the AFCO's in general are tending to delay any applicants until they are convinced they have a reasonable chance of passing PRMC, probably more so now than previously.

If someone claims to be hitting all the right targets with regard fitness preparations, a large part of it is the fact that the fitness routine has to be firmly established & consolidated, not short term. One month's physical preparation from scratch is most certainly not going to do it.

The pass rates on PRMC have very much improved in recent months & this has nothing to do with the degree of difficulty of the actual course, but the fact that less people are being allowed to attend until they indicate they are likely to have a good chance of passing.

The introduction of Royal Marines Acquaint Days (RMAD), to my mind, has significantly educated candidates & helped identify which areas need further development before attending a PRMC. The PJFT, whilst a good indicator of the progress of the preparations, only assesses the run. The RAF have now copied the RN/RM lead, but gone one better & test press-ups etc at their PJFTs at the same chain of gymnasiums. Possibly the RN/RM may follow as the mechanism is already in place.

Skippy

Reaction score
i went in for my informal give me information in January.. since i've been at college things have been paced out, but my interview is on the 8th, and i sent my app form in 22nd april.. 2 weeks really on that aspect (post times really)

other than that, i can't really comment much else *text deleted*.. Just trying to pass the interview first time really !!

:uglyhammer: sorry, not much use

crackhour

Civilian Member
Reaction score
Thanks fellas, very interesting array of answers there..

It's quite encouraging to think I have at least some months left to train as I've already been going at it for a couple of months already now..

I am determined to be ready for the prmc and refuse to be one of the 'vomiteers'..
My weakness has always been running outside and I've paid special attention to this, I'm clocking up some significant miles per week now, I am however walking sometimes between bursts and am working on trying to eliminate this sissy from my mind.. I find this a challenge as after a mile or so I seem to want to walk for a bit to ease the burn!! (sometimes I can scream in my brain to get moving again, yet procrastinate for say a minute or so which freaks me out a bit!!)

I wondered If this happens to anyone else???

I prey that I can rid myself of this behaviour before any corporal spots it!!

Thanks again gents for your answers, as always very quick to reply and most supportive!

Going to pound the concrete now in an angry fashion!!

RossRobObey

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Just read this thread as I'm in a similar position to you, looking for the time I have left to train. Howevr I'm going to suggest to you that, when you take a walking break in your runs, it would be a lot more benificial to keep jogging. Even if it is a very, very slow jog, it will be more benificial then walking.

Just my tuppence.

brummielad

Reaction score
I used to have the same problem its all a matter of confidence. Just keep saying to yourself one more mile then i ll quit well actually i ll do one more and so on. i used to be only able to do about 2-3 mile run but that was at a very slow pace and i was huffing and puffing but after going swimming daily and doing those 2-3 mile runs i can now go faster and further doing about 6-7 miles.

Dont worry just keep at it and you will get there i know thats used alot but you will its good to have mind battles with yourself anyway in my opinion becuase as they say its a state of mind becuase you will no doubt have many mind battles with yourself come the proper 32 weeks training but its about getting through all that.

As ross said even if just keep jogging at a slow pace it will be better than walking.:iagree:

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
You could always quick march, get a pair of boots and combats, get a 6 mile route and aim to jog/walk through out the whole course.. Quick Marching is probably the best workout for your legs next to a run. It certainly builds a good muscle base and it certainly burns as much as a full blown run but you've got less to run before you walk.

Your feet might need conditioning if you do it in boots and you might want either 2 pairs of socks or a pair of 1000 mile running or hiking socks.

Obviously intergrate this with running, quick marching alone won't get you good running speeds but it's a start to getting you beyond the stop starting point.

crackhour

Civilian Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys..really very good advice..
I will now try to keep to slow jogs at times of weakness and will use the two pairs of socks (I already run in boots)..

I think its true that The building of a good muscle base is very important and know this from when I first started training, the pain my legs and feet from the change in activity was quite severe, but deminished thankfully over time...
It is probably woth mentioning that I can run ten miles in the morning and the endurance is not a problem, just this needing to stop crap!!

Sounds stupid but even hearing you fellas saying jog rather than walk will help me no end with regard to mind battles...Guess I just need to hear it?

Thanks again for giving your time to help..really no bull...

Much appreciated... cheers lads...

brummielad

Reaction score
You definately have made the right choice. Its Royal Marines or nothing for me they are the best to join ( excluding special forces obviously) and something i cannot wait to join.

Any of you lads know where i can get a pair of secound hand boots? Obviosuly to avoid the blisters etc

Boataimer

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
how long does it take from sending your application off to hearing anything back. i sent my application off on monday and havent heard anything yet.

at my afco appointment the royal there said there was places on the psychometric test date 14th may and i was hoping to get on it.

im an impatient little git you see!

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Most of the stages take between 2 weeks and 1 month on AVERAGE!

bennyd89

Reaction score
You definately have made the right choice. Its Royal Marines or nothing for me they are the best to join ( excluding special forces obviously) and something i cannot wait to join.

Any of you lads know where i can get a pair of secound hand boots? Obviosuly to avoid the blisters etc

They need to be moulded to your feet mate noone elses. Look for British combat high boots (£30), or US Pattern jungle. Just whack half a tin of polish on and leave it to dry (12 hours or so). This softens the leather then walk about in them until they break in. Alternatively buy some zinc oxide tape for your feet or rub them in surgical spirit (hardens the skin) to avoid blisters.

Oh yeah and if you piss on your feet in the shower, it stops you getting blisters =)

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Initial AFCO - application form

After considering the Marines as the career for me for some time now, I finally walked into the AFCO last wednesday and had a chat with a royal navy female officer (not the male commando I was hoping to speak to!) and by the time I had walked out I had the application form in my hand having been told to have it back in a week (today!), and then they'll book me into my Psychometric Test.

Is this right? it all seems very fast to me. I will make sure its all completed this weekend and have it posted on monday, but as thats almost 2 weeks not 1, I hope it wont say anything about my keen-ness.

I want nothing more now than to join the marines, but im a little nervous its all *text deleted* happen faster than im comfortable with, fitness wise.

was everyone comfortable with the pace they were taken through the application process?

Cheers guys

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
After considering the Marines as the career for me for some time now, I finally walked into the AFCO last wednesday and had a chat with a royal navy female officer (not the male commando I was hoping to speak to!) and by the time I had walked out I had the application form in my hand having been told to have it back in a week (today!), and then they'll book me into my Psychometric Test.

Is this right? it all seems very fast to me. I will make sure its all completed this weekend and have it posted on monday, but as thats almost 2 weeks not 1, I hope it wont say anything about my keen-ness.

I want nothing more now than to join the marines, but im a little nervous its all *text deleted* happen faster than im comfortable with, fitness wise.

was everyone comfortable with the pace they were taken through the application process?

Cheers guys

Matt,

Timescales are about right. It depends how busy your nearest AFCO is, to how long you have to wait to sit the recruiting test. The AFCOs generally get busier at the end of June to September as school leavers start to get their future career intentions underway.

Once you attend interview your careers adviser will discuss where you are now and where you need to be before you attend a PRMC. We won't send you on a PRMC until you feel you are ready & you can ask for more time with no adverse view taken, rest assured.

You'll find a female Careers Adviser equally able to advise & make a selection decision for those wishing to join the Royal Marines as a Royal Marines Careers Adviser is able to advise and select a female wishing to join the Navy - we all attend the same training course. Admittedly the Royal Marine will have first hand knowledge from when they joined the Corps many moons ago but all advisers periodically visit Lympstone to get the latest training updates from the guys who train you, those who plan the training, those who do the behind-the-scenes course administration & the recruits themselves currently in training.

Good luck on the Recruiting Test.