Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

How long have you been TMU and what for?

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by (State of mind), Jun 4, 2015.

1. (State of mind)

(State of mind) New Member

Like the title says what have you been TMU for and how long?

2. rocketman88

rocketman88 Member

I was made TMU today at my medical for a dislocated shoulder from 2009. I was expecting it but the doc said it would be only about 4 weeks to get the all clear. I just hope she wasn't blowing smoke up my ass. I've heard awful things about the Capita's admin speed. but theres nothing I can do about it so I treated myself to extra phys for the next month mmmmm yummy

• Like Like x 1
  3. OJL

OJL Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Made TMU since 14th may 2015. All because of having too much ear wax in both ears meaning medical examiner couldn't see my ear drum. Nothing major.

• Like Like x 1
  4. WelshLad97

WelshLad97 Royal Marines Commando

Was made TMU from 4th of December 2014 till the 4th of April 2015 for a fractured ankle I had in like 2008. Got PRMC on 21st of July though

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nitro159

Nitro159 Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Since March 26th 2015 for just over a year, awaiting surgery on a bunion I was unaware I had.

Now extended for 3-4 years due to ankle break and surgical pins put in place to stabilise it can't be removed for 3 years plus a year clear of surgery

• Like Like x 1
  6. LiamJC

LiamJC Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Since 11th September 2014 for a heart murmur at the medical.

They sent me for a ECG and Echo and turned out I have a tiny leaky valve that has never affected me.

Gave them the results in December and still waiting for a response. Hasn't looked very promising for months

• Like Like x 1
  7. CMT

CMT Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    For anyone who is unaware of the way capita works here's an example:

Yesterday I received a letter from capita asking me to go online and fill in details ahead of my re-med using the unique access code.

I then went online and attempted to log on but the code was invalid so I called the number on the sheet which was listed as the helpline.

After a 10 minute hold I was put through to a women who informed me she works for accident claim (a different branch of capita) and capita had put the wrong number out but that she could refer me to two numbers that could sort it.

The first number turned out to be RAF recruitment and the second no longer existed so I called my AFCO instead who then informed me that these letters have been sent out by mistake and that I should ignore it.

Now remember this had in the end nothing to do with my medical or selection and it was that complicated to deal with so imagine the joy of actually trying to get medicals etc with capita.

PS: Would like to know whos decision it was to put capita in the mix and why we can't just let AFCOs call a doctor instead of putting the most incompetent middle men in the world (Capita) into the equation.

• Like Like x 3
  8. rocketman88

rocketman88 Member

Luckily I don't have to have another medical. Just an all clear from my GP sent to them for my shoulder. She said maximum time 6 weeks but I have my doubts.

good luck with getting it sorted mate

Rocket

9. LRL

LRL Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    The joys hahaha, that's why I posted a thread up and luckily Ninja replied and said it's an error by CAPITA and that we don't need to do it. If only you had seen my thread before hand ;)

10. CMT

CMT Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Haha if we were to make a thread for every mistake capita made I genuinely think we'd crash the forum.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  11. Rojiblanco

Rojiblanco Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I've been TMU since 28th March 2015 (My 32nd Birthday!) because of a few very old head injuries which amounted to nothing more than a few stitches, a packet of Ibuprofen and sent up the road to let actually injured people get treatment.

I'm now in the interminable Capita admin limbo while they do a paper review of my GP docs.

As I've said elsewhere, if there's a total war against China/Russia/the Galactic Empire and Capita are in charge of the draft, we'd be as well surrendering.

12. Pingedsole

Pingedsole Well-Known Member

Wow, @Rojiblanco

Hopeful you get sorted out much sooner than later. You still have 9 months to get into RT so fingers crossed for you.

To paraphrase Emperor Palpatine and follow your galactic theme ;), I shall watch your career with great interest.

You would think (and maybe there is) a fast track for people that are, not to put too fine a point on it, cutting it fine.

Once again, very best wishes mate. Hope you make it.

13. bcfc_4life

bcfc_4life New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    I’m currently in the process of RMR application, and have today been declared TMU following the release of medical notes from my GP to Capita.

After 6 months of poor correspondence down to general bad admin from Capita, they finally pulled their finger out last week after I took it upon myself to prompt them into picking their pace up.

I won’t go into details as to why I’ve been TMU’d, but this waiting for a definative y/n subject to medical is painstaking! If it’s a deferral afterwards, then of course I’ll definitely appeal the decision as The Green Beret means the absolute world to me right now... That said, if I knew for sure that no matter what that I’m going to be rejected, I’d rather know sooner rather than later... I can get the crying out of the way, piece myself back together and figure out what I do instead!

14. Dazza91

Dazza91 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Anyone know if I am likely to be tmu for a dislocated thumb 15 years ago? And if so, is there anything I can do to speed the process up?

15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Best bet is to get a copy of the notes relating to the dislocation and submit them together with the medical questionnaire to avoid being made you. They'll want to know how it happened and whether it's a one-off or recurrent problem and that there's no restrictions, particularly firing a weapon, doing pull-ups, climbing ropes, etc.

16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Generally, if during triage more information is required, the applicant is made TMU and Capita will then write to the GP. Very often the GP requests payment upfront before providing the information.

Why has it taken six months for your GP to reply? Was there ongoing treatment required before the information was requested or did your GP claim they hadn't received the written request (or received payment) on more than one occasion?

17. bcfc_4life

bcfc_4life New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Initially, my GP claimed they never received payment, although Capita claimed they’d made it and were awaiting the arrival of the notes.

Capita then later asked for account details to which the payment should be made (so my guess is that they realised they were in fact in error).

My GP then claimed to have sent the paperwork... Capita claimed to have not received it...!

After constantly bombarding my GP to send again, they finally did and Capita then mailed me to say they’d received it and were to compete a final triage assessment on Saturday 8th...

It was back and forth like a game of tennis and I felt like an umpire trying to mediate the whole process!

Hopefully the resolve for the TMU will come ASAP, I’m desperate to get stuck in now!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Not good. I feel your metaphorical pain.

Fingers-crossed all goes well.

• Like Like x 2
  19. bcfc_4life

bcfc_4life New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Thanks Ninja, the support means a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Frankie99

Frankie99 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Recently passed medical but was TMU for being underweight. Managed to get up to 65kg after 6 months. Two protein shakes pretty much everyday. According to the guy who did my recent medical they had started passing people with a bmi above 23 for awhile. That would have been around 61kg for someone as short as me. Would have been annoying if I wasn't so relieved to be finally done with it.