How long should you train for the PRMC

riz

Reaction score
Alrite lads, just wondering how long should you train before attempting the prmc . Is 3 months a good time table, i have no problems with running, but the upper body strength is a problem, *text deleted* trained a couple of times in the gym with everybodys best friend Big T, hes a damn animal:bully:. But i find it hard to keep a routine goin becuz of the family business. Could anyone help?

RC

Reaction score
Welcome aboard mate.

Is difficult to say as it depends on your current level. What's your current stats ?

Rich.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
to be honest i wouldn't worry about how long you have to train for, just train until your ready. but if your going to tell the AFCO officer you want to wait a bit and get fitter befor you apply then ask for a year because it gives you plenty of time and you wont be in much of a rush

riz

Reaction score
At the moment i run to work which is 1.7 miles from home, i can do that in 12 mins. Situps 60, pull ups 6, press ups not many and i mean not many.

RC

Reaction score
In 3 months, I would imagine you won't be far off passing if you train right.

How long have you been training ?

Rich.

riz

Reaction score
*text deleted* been training properly for 1 month, i run twice during the week and play football on saturday and sunday. circuit training 5 times a week, 2 days on 1 day off works out 5 times a week every week. How good a swimmer do you have to be at the PRMC?

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
be able to swim breat stroke for at least 300 meters i should say. you dont have to be strong, but you deffinatly need to be able to swim a length of their pool down their. or not drown

MisterP

Reaction score
be able to swim breat stroke for at least 300 meters i should say. you dont have to be strong, but you deffinatly need to be able to swim a length of their pool down their. or not drown
Just to be clear... it's: jump off the diving dale, swim down (don't touch the end), swim across, and swim back up the pool. Then you pull yourself out (not aloud to use the steps). So that's 2 and a half lengths without stopping.

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
I can't swim breast stroke. Which is funny, considering I was on my local swimming team. Front crawl all the way. If I'm going somewhere, I'm going fast. Presumably I'll have to learn breast stroke?

Loz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You'll probably have to learn how to do breast stroke. If your trying to sneak onto a beach after a beach landing e.t.c and your swimming using front crawl you'd probably draw allot of attention to yourself *text deleted*.

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You will need to be able to swim breast stroke. If you cannot when you begin training you will be required to go to extra swimming lessons.

It is best to teach yourself before begining training as the extra lessons take place during your own time which means you will have less time to do your admin in the evening and therefore end up staying up later and getting less sleep.

robj

Reaction score
Although you only need to swim 2 and a bit lengths don't forget this is at the end of gym test 1 so you'll probably be pretty knackered already! One guy on my PRMC failed because he literally couldn't swim, he pretty much refused to even get in the pool.

I'd definately say its a good idea to get plenty of swimming lessons in before PRMC as it'll help with general fitness. Also you do a lot of swimming in recruit training so if you're already good its a headstart kinda thing.
Oh and the reason you have to do breast stroke is that its the only way you would be able to swim with a load on your back.

eagleeye

Reaction score
Too right you will!
like to see you swim front crawl with webbing and rifle *text deleted*

The sooner you learn the better it will ony help you.