how long to PREPARE for PRMC?

alphamale

Reaction score
hello guys i just throw this general comment out there

i remember reading in one of the threads here, or else where on a Royal Marines Forum, some commenting

"if you need to physically prepare for more than 6 weeks to BE IN SHAPE, for the PRMC, you might what to reconsider WHY your joining the marines in the first place"

anyones take on this?

i only ask as im sure some peoples fitness levels are different than others,
you could have a lad thats never been in the gym in his life and passes the PFJT with easy, and then someone whos been a "gym" member for ages that would struggle...

p-s is it possible the comment might have been made about the Pre Fitness Joining Test instead?

RC

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about that comment. It's merely someone opinion. Must say, I don't agree with it !

Rich.

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Thinks its silly...if someone wants to be a royal marine and will put the work in to get the fitness needed then whether its 6weeks or a year it makes no difference.

ringo

Reaction score
cant say i agree with tht. i mean sum one who is majorly out of shape may need more than 6 weeks to get ready for it. it may not be physically possible to get tht person into shape within 6 weeks. just because of that reason does not mean they do not want it any more than sumone who takes less than 6 weeks.

as said above... just someones opinion, nothing more.

alphamale

Reaction score
cheers guys, yea i was thinking along the same lines as alot of you guys.

just because you might not be 6 weeks away from PRMC "fitness levels"

doesnt mean u shouldnt put 100% in to getting there, no matter "how long it takes"

i see it like any other PROFESSION, after all im sure the average person on the street who is good with numbers aint 6 weeks away from being an accountant!

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
just because you might not be 6 weeks away from PRMC "fitness levels"

doesnt mean u shouldnt put 100% in to getting there, no matter "how long it takes"

Nailed it there mate!

So what stage are you at with your application? are you near the PJFT?

alphamale

Reaction score
Nailed it there mate!

So what stage are you at with your application? are you near the PJFT?

truth be told mate, i was training hard for the last part of last year june right through to xmas,
because i am living in ireland, i applied for the Irish Defence Froces Navy,

done the interview, done the medical, done the physical passed everything
the run was 1 1/2 miles in 11/ 12mins, i passed that no problem.

in the end i turned the offer of a plac down, due to several factors, time take from my FIRST application to first interview? about ONE YEAR. no *text deleted**text deleted*,

time from physical test and being told we passed to a letter confirming we had a position should we wish to accept? about 5 or 6 MONTHS NO *text deleted**text deleted*

to be honest i dont think they could have offered me what i was looking for, so from around xmas till now ive sorta been slacking where the gym is concerned,

i had given up hope ( as i turned 25 in feb) of ever joining the armed forces
and then just recently i have been READING everything on the Royal Marines, and i think they might be just the thing i have been looking for.

jus need to get my ass back to were i was before christmas.

Woody

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
There will be much older recruits than you in training alphamale, I wouldn't worry about the age issue. Perhaps you'll be in the higher end of the age average in the troop but it definitely shouldn't sway your desire to join.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
For what it's worth, the average person who successfully passes selection & starts recruit training takes a damn site longer than 6 weeks physical preparation.

Most people arrive for the interview stage of the process proudly proclaiming to be running 3 miles, 3 times per week & meeting the minimum targets for PRMC. Usually if they complete a Royal Marines Acquaint Day (RMAD) a much truer picture can be gained.

Further questioning at interview usually reveals they have only been training at this particular tempo for around 4 to 8 weeks. They are then given a further 4 weeks to take the PJFT after passing their medical and assuming they are ready, usually another 4 weeks before before they attend their prmc.

For the average 16 year old reasonably fit school leaver who maybe plays football once or twice a week, the weaker area is nearly always upper body development. This does not happen overnight & you need to be confidently achieving 4+ pull ups and confident of a comfortable 3 mile outdoor road run in 22 minutes 30 seconds before you even consider requesting a PRMC booking. It's no good whatsoever setting yourself a deadline for attending prmc if you cannot even reach the basic fitness levels.

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I dont believe that comment is meant to try and protray that it isnt worth training more than 6 weeks, merely that the royal marines is an extremly active lifestyle, therefore would attract people that are already fit and healthy and into exercise.
Therefore suggesting that people who are not fit and healthy already are not into that kinda lifestyle and maybe they should reconsider.

alphamale

Reaction score
cheers guys, alot of good info coming from this thread, i was almost not *text deleted* post it thinking it was a stupid topic, glad i did not,

thanks also to NINJA excellent post, ;)

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
It is quite an interesting topic as it's very much subjective & whilst we talk about averages, there are always variable extremes.

It maybe worth emphasising by stating there are always exceptions to the rule. For example my comments regarding the average 16 year old are just that- average is the operative word. Through no fault of their own, the younger candidates are still physically maturing & developing with regard muscle tone. Whilst a lighter person has less weight to lift for pull-ups, they also must be over 60Kg minimum weight AND generally younger candidates are not as capable over the longer distance runs as those in their latter 20's.

Conversely the older candidates usually (though again, not always) are more susceptible to injuries which take longer to recover from, particularly if for example they have been road-running for years & have picked-up shin splints along the way.

alphamale

Reaction score
Ninja -

do you think that minor aches and pains/minor injuires would be easily over come if you were say...in your mid 20s? or generally has your bodys immuine system by this time passed its peak?

also i under stand your point about muscle maturity and this is probably were a more mature candidate 21+ would have the advantage over the average 16 year old

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* well i would love to see that fella become a marine and get to their fitness level in 6 weks. in 6 weeks if you have no other life then you will get a decent fitness level but the average guy needs a bit longer. especially me because i have college and work which takes up a lot of my week.

Skippy

Reaction score
i would have to agree with ninja, 16yrs are still developing but mid 20's are more susceptable to injuries.. im just outta bounds by being 18, body practically finished maturing but still along way of being complete

however i think it's down to how long the candidate has been doing fitness really. Someone who has been doing fitness for years will almost definately "beat" someone who has just picked up the pace to start getting fitter if you see my drift

it's late, so if it doesnt make senes, i'll change it later *text deleted*

Skip

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I have to admit that I'm certainly no guru on the fitness aspects & my advice is based purely on feedback from candidates, serving Marines and the guys that run PRMC itself. My own opinion, but again, I'm happy to stand corrected, is those around mid 20's have the optimum physical ability & mental maturity to cope with recruit training.

The other day on here we were discussing people able to do vast amounts of press-ups or pull-ups. The obvious worry then is that they may be carrying excessive muscle mass & struggle with being able to comfortably run the distance. The key is balance between CV & upper body- you really must focus on both & aim for a well-toned, but lithe stature.

Point

RM Officer Recruit
Reaction score
You really hit the nail on the head ninja! A Marine must be able to cover long distances yet have good upper body, you have got to find a balance between the two which will carry you through PRMC and into training. I have good upper body from playing rugby since i was 6 but have done several long distance runs and have a few marathons under my belt. The PRMC/POC is to show your potential to pass training, your not expected to bang out 100s of press ups or run 30miles on call. Anything past that Im sure the PTIs have wonderful exercise to sort you out during training?!

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Also from reading and watching videos about the RT training, no matter how fit you are they will make you push 100% of the time so that you are exhausted like everyone else.

Anything past that Im sure the PTIs have wonderful exercise to sort you out during training?!

Called Burpee's ... i have an ex-marine working as a Instructor that monitors my training and he loves catching me doing something wrong (depending on how full the gym is, he can find scratching an itch something wrong) he makes me do Burpee's....they are torture.

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
. My own opinion, but again, I'm happy to stand corrected, is those around mid 20's have the optimum physical ability & mental maturity to cope with recruit training.

Yeah, I'd say that's because of the conditioning they have over the younger guys, a strong exaggeration here but similar to how the 55 yr old was able to pass the Commando test, no way could he have done it if he hadn't had years of conditioning.

alphamale

Reaction score
just a general question to throw out there,
if a person was at a General level of fitness...
say goes to the gym 3 times a week, does a fair bit of work, nothing HARDCORE, running as an example 1mile in 10mins+

how long would you say (if training were given priority in there life) would they make it to a good standard ie. 3 miles in 22 mins?

i know this is a random question, im only asking *text deleted* i was able to do the 1.5 mile in 12 mins about 6 months ago...but am NOT confident at ALL now. as ive been outa the gym for some time.

Latest posts

New Threads