How Long Will The War Continue?

Roy Brown

Reaction score
Hi fellas just something i'm interested in here. I've seen a few programs on Tv and read a few things which give different views to the future of Afghan. Some say it's getting better and the troops are slowly being pulled out and others say it's deteriorating and more troops are needed. I ask this because it would be at least 3 years before i got deployed to the frontline and that's bearing in mind everything goes well! Don't mean to sound cocky here but fighting in the war would give me great pride although i no i wouldn't say all this if i was there. Also i'm guessing it depends on what troop you are put on whether you are deployed to the front line? In that case i'm also guessing that depends on your PRMC results.

proudtobebritish

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
on the commando on the frontline the guy was saying its expected to last atlease 30 years

0.01%

Reaction score
Well one of the corporals that spoke to us at my PRMC said the Royal Marines will be needed out there for, "at LEAST the next 15 years." All the Commando units rotate, so where ever you get put after R.T i'd say you will get your chance!

Floyd

Reaction score
To be honest i dont believe that a war, an active one such as this would last 30 years, otherwise our Economy (which beginning to dwindle) would just completely shatter, even if we are a MEDC Country, I hear that America is also beginning to suffer.

World War two lasted 6 years and i believe that the war in Afghanistan will soon end. But then again doing my research im going to contradict myself and say that this war may very well continue for much longer, as more insurgents will be entering Afghanistan and we may see the most active wartime in the next few years to come.

To be honest, all we can do is wait and see, and hope that this mess gets sorted ricky tick.

JG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Put it this way if you live to have kids and your kids want to join forces, they will be going

WE WONT DEFEAT THE TALIBAN

0.01%

Reaction score
WE WONT DEFEAT THE TALIBAN

Unfortunatley I fear you're right.

And I can not seeing it ever reach a stage where they pull us out now, defeated (technically if we withdrew) and quite frankly humiliated.....I say that as I imagine the huge street parties, the raping of women, the constant stream of terrorist propaganda etc that would no doubt go on as the Taliban come out of hiding. And to top that off there would be as bigger threat, if not a greater threat to Britain as a whole than there is right now. Certainly far greater than when we entered the war.

I now see it as a no win situation and for each life that is lost, the chance to with draw disappears that little bit more. Imagine Brown trying to justify the loss of British blood if it ended soon. I can't think of a strong case when asked to outway the loss of lives, the devestating effects this has had on their families, the huge economic burdens the war has placed on Birtains ecomomy, the damaged international relationships Britain has suffered as a result of supporting America and the increased threat of terrorist attacks we now face against the good, long term achievements that we have secured

Which is why lads you can bet your bottom dollar that we are there for the long haul.

JG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Dont get me wrong, we as a force are nails but no matter how strong the good force is, we wont win, they are brainwashing their kids and it will have a nock on effect, it will go on for along time until drastic action is taken, i mean look at the taliban and al qaeda they have 14 year olds fighting for them.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Insurgencies and guerilla warfare is one tough cookie for a democracy to defeat:flushed:

Luckily, if we can hold the country long enough for the afgan army and politics to become stable, the main work will be done by them to ensure their own freedom.

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
Government is planning to build a special armed forces building thing out in afghanistan that will take roughly 7 years to build so they wouldn't be building it if they werent planning on staying out there for a long while.

:lovey:

Floyd

Reaction score
Unfortunatley I fear you're right.

And I can not seeing it ever reach a stage where they pull us out now, defeated (technically if we withdrew) and quite frankly humiliated.....I say that as I imagine the huge street parties, the raping of women, the constant stream of terrorist propaganda etc that would no doubt go on as the Taliban come out of hiding. And to top that off there would be as bigger threat, if not a greater threat to Britain as a whole than there is right now. Certainly far greater than when we entered the war.

I now see it as a no win situation and for each life that is lost, the chance to with draw disappears that little bit more. Imagine Brown trying to justify the loss of British blood if it ended soon. I can't think of a strong case when asked to outway the loss of lives, the devestating effects this has had on their families, the huge economic burdens the war has placed on Birtains ecomomy, the damaged international relationships Britain has suffered as a result of supporting America and the increased threat of terrorist attacks we now face against the good, long term achievements that we have secured

Which is why lads you can bet your bottom dollar that we are there for the long haul.

But in a few years time more people will die, and when the war is over (if it is ever over) then they will say "oh my, so many were lost for such a stupid war effort" or something along those lines.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
But in a few years time more people will die, and when the war is over (if it is ever over) then they will say "oh my, so many were lost for such a stupid war effort" or something along those lines.

But is it stupid though?
We're fighting to help the people of Afghanistan,
and at the same time we're fighting people who want to come to our country,
or another country,
and blow us/them up,
the more we kill,
the less people they have for terrorism,
(or more depending on your view).

Joe

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Whether the coalition forces truly stamp out the taliban or not is actually of little consequence, the only thing we can truly hope to achieve through this war is to place the Afgan people i a position where they will be able to truly govern themselves and deal with the Upstarts themselves and prosper as a nation without our military aid. As to what time length Britain and the USA should be involved in this war is a matter of public and political debate really, too many people have forgotten about the loss of life through terrorist attacks and say that we should not be in Afghanistan whilst others that see the good that could come of our actions support us. It is human nature to be divided in times like these for it is who we are and what we will forever be.

Yes, there are many extremist believers that think we in the west should die but there are many more that for decades have wanted only peace whilst being the prey for the Russians and radical extremists. I believe none of us can truly understand what fear and torture they have lived with for generations and therefore we cannot see why the ones that want peace are unwilling to stand up and fight against their own people some of which are family and friends.

That is every war, people will always look back at the loss of life and call it stupid.

Such is the self destructive nature of the human condition that Soldiers will always have a place in the world and as long as the UK remains a large player in the World, Royal Marine Commando's will be at the front of every battle.

So in conclusion this should probably be in the Debate section, We will go to war after passing out and we will kick the living *text deleted**text deleted* out of anyone that dares cross our path and then go home for Tea and Biscuits.

MAXPAIN

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I believe we could smash them to the ground if the government gave us the chance, to fight a guerrilla army you must adopt guerrilla tactics, the taliban are patient because they know we cant stay their forever. If this so called war was an actual war on Afghanistan we would have conquered that little beauty a few years ago. This country is not rubbish at war, we kicked some major arse in every war we've been in, and we have the best soldiers in the world. Think about it how can we be struggling with a group thats not very well-trained, very poorly equipped and no arty/air support, I think either some one very high up doesn't want us to win or is seriously stupid.

And another thing about all those heroin poppy fields our soldiers are fighting in, why in hell are these people allowed to continue this drug trade that apparently fuels 87% of this planet with heroin, that is obviously the talibans income...so why not napalm every single poppy field and squeeze the taliban dry. So the bottom line if you want to destroy the taliban you either take the fight to them adopting guerrilla tactics and live in the mountains as they do, or...Kill them economically take away all their funds, charity, accounts don't let any one in or out the country with out us knowing. What you guys think? how would you deal with this war on terror?

Trademark

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I believe we could smash them to the ground if the government gave us the chance, to fight a guerrilla army you must adopt guerrilla tactics, the taliban are patient because they know we cant stay their forever. If this so called war was an actual war on Afghanistan we would have conquered that little beauty a few years ago. This country is not rubbish at war, we kicked some major arse in every war we've been in, and we have the best soldiers in the world. Think about it how can we be struggling with a group thats not very well-trained, very poorly equipped and no arty/air support, I think either some one very high up doesn't want us to win or is seriously stupid.

And another thing about all those heroin poppy fields our soldiers are fighting in, why in hell are these people allowed to continue this drug trade that apparently fuels 87% of this planet with heroin, that is obviously the talibans income...so why not napalm every single poppy field and squeeze the taliban dry. So the bottom line if you want to destroy the taliban you either take the fight to them adopting guerrilla tactics and live in the mountains as they do, or...Kill them economically take away all their funds, charity, accounts don't let any one in or out the country with out us knowing. What you guys think? how would you deal with this war on terror?

good point, but the farmers in Afghanistan will only make heroin because they get the most money for it, any heroin amount that is found that weighs a certain amount is destroyed,

what the forces are doing is continuing to the heart and soles mission, they have to keep the farmers happy and for that they need money but that drug money is fueling the Taliban like u said, afghanistan needs to change there imports to make money

plus i have to say that we need to get better relations with *text deleted**text deleted*stan because allot of the Taliban are going in and out through *text deleted**text deleted*stan (helmand borders with *text deleted**text deleted*stan) so something needs to be done about that

M

MTW

they are building another camp bastion place (cant remeber its name) says it will take about 7 years to complete so i doubt it will be over soon like alot of people claim.

Floyd

Reaction score
To be honest i dont believe that going into the mountains where these people live and navigate through and basically know it like the back of their hand, would be such a good idea.

We dont know the terrain by foot and we would just be begging for ambushes, traps etc.
And the fact that these people are not stupid and have had previous war experiance (Due to Russia's previous efforts) these people know how to fight, and if you underestimate them at all, then you would most likely get killed by their skills, or by making a fatal mistake in underestimating them.

You never underestimate an opponenent, even if they seem weak, they may have a trick or two up their sleeve.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
The only way you are ever going to beat these people is with technology. Science beats belief everytime, no suicide bomber no matter how drugged out of his skull he is, will ever bomb a automated robotic checkpoint.

We should be numbering up and armouring down. Why spend out time building roadside bomb armour when we can send out 10 automated unmanned vehicles for half the price. For example you could automate a run of the mill second hand range rover for less than £2k and send 10 out in convoy fashion. Black the windows out so no one can see in (the enemy doesn't know if there is anyone in it to kill), a predator above and lets see some numpty attack that.

We should be spending out money in this sector rather than £20 million warrior's, In My Opinion.

The technology is already there and cars have been driving themselves across the desert for the last 10 years.

GW

M

MTW

i completely agree, some sort of trickery like that, or mindgames etc etc is the only way we will beat them.

Floyd

Reaction score
The only way you are ever going to beat these people is with technology. Science beats belief everytime, no suicide bomber not matter how drugged out of his skull he is, will ever bomb a automated robotic checkpoint.

We should be numbering up and armouring down. Why spend out time building roadside bomb armour when we can send out 10 automated unmanned vehicles for half the price. For example you could automate a run of the mill second hand range rover for less than £2k and send 10 out 10 in convoy fashion. Black the windows out so no one can see in (the enemy doesn't know if there is anyone in it to kill), a predator above and lets see some numpty attack that.

We should be spending out money in this sector rather than £20 million warrior's, In My Opinion.

The technology is already there and cars have been driving themselves across the desert for the last 10 years.

GW

I do have to say that is a very compelling idea. :iagree: