How many attempts allowed at POC/AIB?

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Am i right in thinking you are allowed 3 attempts at both the POC and AIB? If you used up all 3 attempts at either POC or AIB, then joined the corps as a recruit, would you be unable to go for a corps commission?

Thanks

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The advice would be not to attend until you are reasonably confident of passing rather than ponder how many fails you're planning before passing.

If you fail 2 POCs, the odds are Officer is not for you anyway. If having failed two POCs you then fail a PRMC, the odds are the Royal Marines isn't really going to be your "cup of tea" in any event.

Occasionally we get the odd individual who seems to think that if they attend CTC a sufficient number of times, they're bound to pass, but sadly it never works out that way.

Charlie S

Reaction score
Ninja, i heard that if you apply for an officer in the RM and fail either the POC or AIB you are not allowed to apply as a normal recruit in the RM?

Point

RM Officer Recruit
Reaction score
no that isnt the case. I have a friend in recruit training at the moment and he says a lot of guys who were not successful in officer selection have started recruit training.
I would take Ninjas advice, Ive waited until my last year at uni to go through selection - no point doing it before you are ready.
Also to your point about corps commission after recruit training. If you do well in training then you can apply for corps commission almost striaght away - given time that is - otherwise you can wait until you get a few of your stripes before doing it.