How many chances?

Lloydy101

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Fellas

I was wondering how many opportunities/chances do the RM give you if you fail training, POC, PRMC etc??? particulaly in the Officers course. Are they different??

Cheers

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hello Lloydy,

It's better to set out to pass at first attempt than to consider the fall-back options: To fail to prepare... etc., etc.,..

However, It depends how you fare to be honest. No-one should attend a POC or PRMC carrying an injury, so if you fail & claim an existing injury, it's simply a fail. If someone decides they'll attend without preparing to see how they will get on, then they deserve to fail frankly.

It's not uncommon for ex-servicemen, having served in other British or overseas military organisations, to come over assuming PRMC will be a breeze & then fail miserably. The emphasis is on CV fitness, many seem to think that pumping iron/body building will help-it won't, it can greatly hinder.

AFCO/ACLO's will permit a second attempt if there's reasonable grounds for failing the first time & Lympstone have advised the individual may re-attempt in 3, 6, or 9 months- they may also advise that you are to be discouraged from re-applying. A fair percentage of those attending a second time pass, those that don't probably never will.

In exceptional cirumstances, you may be permitted a third & final attempt, but it depends on many factors. Personally, experience has taught me that the odds of someone passing 3rd time around, unless years have elapsed since the last failed attempt, is virtually zero. In other words it's a waste of time, money & effort unless the individual can prove themselves a "star candidate" in all elements of repeating the selection process. For me they'd also need to be a resounding success undertaking a Royal Marines Acquaint Day- if they can't do that, it's not worth the effort.

Lloydy101

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the info mate

you are deffinetly right about thinking positively, got to think less on the negatives!!