How many miles a week for running?

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I've calculated my distance since monday and it's been near the 15 mile mark. Is this too much distance early on? I was going to go for a 4 miler tommorow but that'd make it something like 19 miles in one week and I've still got 6 weeks left till my PRMC.

Maybe I should ease the running down a bit, because progression seems to be at a halt.

What distance of running do you cover in a whole week?

GaryA

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
if *text deleted* not getting injuries and stuff then keep going id say! can only get better!

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I do 2 a day, so uhhhhhhhh, 14 miles a week.

You run every single day! I would mix it up a bit, like maybe 3 - 4 times a week and do longer runs on some days, and shorter on others

if *text deleted* not getting injuries and stuff then keep going id say! can only get better!

Well you say that, I'm not injured but my legs feel like lamposts! They are really starting to get tired now and that is the thing that slows my runs down. I remember when I use to play powerleague football, my legs always felt fresh but my cardio felt like *text deleted**text deleted*. Now its the other way round :laugh:

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Spoke to marine, who said 3x 3miler is fine if you look after yourself well. When my legs are better i'll prob do that then a day of interval stuff.

lee87

Reaction score
I've calculated my distance since monday and it's been near the 15 mile mark. Is this too much distance early on?

I aim for something between 2 and 3 a day with a back pack carrying 2 x 5 litre bottles of water in it to weigh it down a bit, with 2 days of no running and just hitting the resistance in the gym.. Sounds like your pretty much on track mate.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
You shouldnt NEVER run with weights prior to joining it's the main advice from anyone involved with PTI in there.

Commando Kennedy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
recently my running has been ridiculous..*text deleted* been running so much..! *text deleted*..ranging from 1.5 str8 2 3miles,4miles 6miles n at least 1 8-10 miler a week so im was doin bout 27 miles a week n i love it..u cnt b 2 fit 4 RM! so keep at it..ive varied mine so much tho..running,hill sprints,sprint training,track running,cross country..just run until u ar sick! *text deleted*..

BradfordBulls

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I ran 6 times a week doing HIIT, all I can say is DONT. I *text deleted**text deleted*ed up my knee and should of passed PRMC about a month ago.

Duffy 93

Reaction score
*text deleted**text deleted* me sideways... im only 15 and not joinin till im 18ish but im doing no where near that much, at the most i do about 3 mile once every 3 days or summit *text deleted*, i better pulll my finger out.

lee87

Reaction score
You shouldnt NEVER run with weights prior to joining it's the main advice from anyone involved with PTI in there.

Really? wouldn;t have thought that, but thanks for the heads up.

Tomtom

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrSkippy

Why is this? i have just started running with a pack on with sand in, weighing about 17kg.
Should i stop?

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
It's advice from marine in AFCO and a ex-army PTI.

It can cause problems for many reasons : strength not actually at the right level for it even though person might think it is, could cause back injury due to weight and uneven distrobution of weight.

You're taught how to pack the burgen properly so as to not damage your back in RT, and they build you up into it.

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I started running with weights in a backpack and the bag rubbed all the skin of my back. Was very painfull and it was only like 22lbs of weight. Honestly there is no point, it's not advisable. Why don't you just run quicker instead?

BradfordBulls

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Why is this? i have just started running with a pack on with sand in, weighing about 17kg.
Should i stop?

It's because most people don't start out low and gradually built up and therfor get injured.

tcsmith88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I usually run about 15 miles a week in Sherwood Forest. And using an exercise bike in the gym I do just short of 18 miles a week. Not the same as doing it outside, I know, but I don't have access to a push-bike and I always make sure I keep my speed at a constant 100RPM+.

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Well last I covered 15 miles of running all in all and this week so far I've covered 5.5 miles. So I've got another 10 miles to make up :laugh:

I keep running without a warm up which I think slows me down a bit because my muscles are still cold and stiff. It's not a very good thing to do...

encn

Reaction score
I do 13miles a week (2miles Fartlek/intervals, 2x 3mile PRMCs & 5mile X-Country) Plus whatever Phys we do at RMR.

AND 45mins circuit training 4x a week, which I finish off with 15mins CV (normally rower or bike).

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Anyone bother with hiking/yomping?
Because you obviously do it in RT,
and it might be pretty tough if you're not used to it.

spartan

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
living in scotland there is a lot of yomping oppertunities that i take advantage of :cool: i run 14 miles a week , 2 x 4 mile , 1 x 6 mile.

New Threads