How many people pass POC?

D

Deleted

I was just wondering how many people actually manage to pass the POC, as it's supposedly a lot harder than the PRMC. I know its around 50% for the PRMC (well, I think), so just want to get more of an idea on just how hard it is.
Thanks

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Obviously the amount of people passing will vary between courses. I do know to it's less than 50%, more like 25% i fink. On my POC, 4 passed out of 15 but a friend of mine did it a couple of months ago and 9 out of 15 passed. Don't get bogged own in pass rates tho-there is a set standard you have to acheive and if u meet that standard YOU WILL PASS.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
...Don't get bogged own in pass rates tho-there is a set standard you have to acheive and if u meet that standard YOU WILL PASS.

Spot on.

The thing you must also bear in mind is that not everyone that passes POC & gets put forward for selection after AIB will automatically get selected, some may not.

A few years ago, (think it was about 4 or 5 years ago), there were around 100 that got through POC & AIB, but only the top 40 were selected to commence RM Officer training. A fair few elected to join as Other Ranks, but not not many.

The moral to the story is aim for the best possible pass at POC & do lots of homework for AIB to ensure you have the best chance of selection.

Point

RM Officer Recruit
Reaction score
When i was down for my AIB i spoke to the Sgt RM who take all the booty candidates around, and asked about ask about the AIB?POC scores and your chances of Sept entry. From what i understand, get the best mark as possible at the AIB as this score is match against other applicants when selection is made; the POC score you got previsouly is only used when two or more candidates are in competition for a place.

jimmy mal

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Out of curiosity is there a set number of officer places or does it vary between each intake.

Jim

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
It does vary, but you're only looking at around 50ish. Apparently 55 are required this year.

Point

RM Officer Recruit
Reaction score
Does that number include the international and bursary entry applicants?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Does that number include the international and bursary entry applicants?

Yes for international. Bursars often have a reserved place which is deducted from the amount required for the year they enter.

As stated this year we require 55 RM Officers, last year we had 58 enter service. By contrast last financial year we had 1092 Other Ranks start training, which generally means we processed (very roughly) about four times as many applicants than actually entered service.

LAS920

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
A friend of mine took his POC last week, and of the 11 that started his course, 7 passed, a fairly good rate. However, he spoke to an instructor down there, and he said that the week before, a course of 15 started, and the yall failed. I dont think there is a standard trend for POC passes, it seems to vary quite drastically.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Correct & as previously mentioned, the fact that you can pass POC doesn't mean you will be successful at AIB.

Even if you pass POC and are put forward for selection after taking AIB, you still may not get selected.

Pass/fail percentages on POC or PRMC are by no means a yardstick to gauge one's statistical odds of becoming a trained Commando.

New Threads