how many pressups a day?

lukey boy 91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i can manage about 30 press ups on a good day but i just cant seem to improve on them atall can someone help me out?
how many should i do a day and is ther any more hints and tips on them i could be using?? thanks:smile:

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Everyone is *text deleted* recite all these amazing ways of scientifically and technically improving your press ups to the max. But I'd say just bang out 15 - 20 at a time, as many times a day as you can. don't keep maxing your press ups. do this for 5 days, have 2 days rest then try your max again. then repeat. You should find that everytime you try your max on day 8 (first day of the 5 days of press ups) you would have improved by at least 3.

Lee

Reaction score
just keep at them mate. you will soon get better.

i do around 200 ish in a workout (not all in a row obviously) and i do that 2 times a week. thats along with pull ups, sit ups etc.

just try bang out 3 sets of 25 at first then build up from there. do 3 sets in the morning then 3 sets in the evening. there u go 150 press ups.

eg week 1 - 3 sets 25 3 times a week
week 2 - 4 sets 15 3 times a week
week 3 - 4 sets 20 3 times a week
week 4 - 4 sets 25 3 times a week
week 5 - 5 sets 15 3 times a week
week 6 - 5 sets 20 3 times a week

u do this along with your other upper body exercises and u should get stronger.

(i dont think this is scientific, just common sense and progresion)

u find the simple things are sometimes the best. what mat has suggested is pretty good also. just banging out 15-20 through out the day. it can only help.

andy5sm

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
best way mate wake up=3 sets of 15-20 whatever you can manage
mid day same
evening same
+any time during the day you feel like dropping and bangin some out(trust me i done it in some weird places) every little helps!
do that it aint too hard and you will progress i promise you!
i went from 30 to 60 in 4 weeks!!

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I do that as well, whenever I have a spare few mins and no-one is around, I drop down and bang out 30 or so. At the bus stop, in the disabled toilets at work, in the park, at the beach, which by the way is amazing for running, its twice as hard and huge sand dunes are not your lungs best friend!

Dan-boxer

Reaction score
i can do between 45-60 without stopping it varys really. I usually do as many as i can do in 2 minutes then have 30 seconds rest then do as many sit ups as i can do in 2 minutes then 30 seconds rest then repeat this 3 times but I'm going to start the 100 press up routine, well i have started it today.. hopefully this works.
If anyone wants to try it, its..
http://hundredpushups.com/finaltest.html