How many RMYO candidates make it to AIB?

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by MrDann, May 14, 2017.

1. MrDann

MrDann Member

@Ninja_Stoker

Out of curiousity, is there a known number of RMYO candidates that make to AIB annually, or your best educated guess?

Obviously have to consider that not all of those at AIB will necessarily be aiming for the same batch, but would be interesting to know.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

It varies but 100+ usually. One year,many moons ago we had 200.

3. TheFTC

TheFTC New Member

App Stage:
    Awaiting selection after AIB pass
    @Ninja_Stoker Is there anyway of knowing how many applicants are currently awaiting the FSB having been successful at AIB?

Presumably due to the fact an extra POC has been added, it would suggest that perhaps not enough?

Thanks in advance

4. Ninja_Stoker

Every year the Corps wants a pool of individuals from whom to select. This year is no different and I have no doubt there are already more AIB passes than jobs available. Last year 37 people didn't get selected.

The fact an extra POC has been added is because there are, so I'm told, a fair few who face their final attempt prior to becoming ineligible on age so the extra POC was added even though it was previously stated this wouldn't happen.

We all have different opinions on this method of selection but there has been a flap every year for as long as I can remember because there wasn't a surplus of "sufficient magnitude". My own opinion, but not that of CTC, is we should set the bar and give a job to all those that clear that standard on a "first come" basis because, to me a high AIB score doesn't always mean they will turn out to be the most accomplished future Officer.

• Like Like x 2
  5. TheFTC

TheFTC New Member

App Stage:
    Many thanks

6. Quantumblade

Quantumblade Member

App Stage:
    On a similar note, do you know what is the average pass percentage at AIB for RMYO candidates? Would you say the majority of those attending AIB pass it, albeit do not make ultimate selection?

7. Ninja_Stoker

To be honest I'm not sure I've seen RM only stats but I think AIB is usually about 50-60% pass rate.

8. Quantumblade

Quantumblade Member

App Stage:
    Roger that, thankyou

9. NALEXB

NALEXB New Member

App Stage:
    Ninja, any chance on the requirement of 40 this year?

10. NALEXB

NALEXB New Member

App Stage:
  11. cc1

cc1 Royal Marines Commando

I have to (respectfully) disagree. Whilst I do agree that a top AIB score isn't always a brilliant indicator, it's a better indicator than merely being first past the post.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ninja_Stoker

I'm with you on that.

My point is the Corps want to cream off the best all round contenders by selecting the candidates scoring highest at AIB, irrespective of POC pass scores or when passed. If they introduced an AIB points threshold, with all those passing with more than xxx points (based on historical selection data) then a first past the post scheme would work. There would still be a pool of lower scoring AIB candidates who would have to wait to find out but they would simply be told "Although you've passed POC and AIB, based on historical data, the points achieved are insufficient to offer an automatic place this year. Three options: wait until the entire cohort have completed their AIB this year. Your points indicate a A; possible/B; remote/C; unlikely chance of selection. Or consider retake next year Or Other Rank."

What is interesting is AIB are effectively saying anyone passing is good enough. The Corps are saying we will wait until all the scores are in before we select the best. My suggestion is we manage expectations better by allocating the majority of places to those scoring high enough. It could feasibly preclude a very high scoring late applicant but arguably we are splitting hairs when AIB have already decided they are all good enough.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Duff1996

Duff1996 Member

App Stage:
    This would seem a more sensible suggestion. Even within the last week I have seen a thread on being in 'limbo' after the AIB as you are completely unaware as to how to train. Within three months of 'passing' AIB, you may be being beasted around the bottom field OR sat at a desk in London.

If there was someway in which those who had done well knew they were more likely be in the batch, I am sure they would train harder and ultimately return to CTC in a better condition, as opposed to suddenly ramping their training up within 2 months of finding out.

Duff

Last edited: May 19, 2017 at 4:00 PM