How much money do I need if I'm joining the RM from Canada?

Al101

Reaction score
Hey guys, I had a question and I just couldn't find what I was looking for while searching the forums, so I decided to just ask.

If I live in Canada, and if I join the RM, I'd have to pretty much fly to the UK for the stages of the application, yes? But what I'm not sure about is...how much money do I need exactly? I mean, I have no family in the UK, so I'd have to...stay at a hotel, I presume, and this is where it gets complicated for me.

The process is 3-12 months, right? Based on if I'm 100% ready, I pass everything and I hand in everything done and as soon as possible, do you guys think I would be able to stay in the UK without going back and forth for the process? Because I'm not exactly sure how much money I should have if I'm staying there for 3+ months.

I think I had seen a thread a whillllleee ago that said something about having $10.000 before going, but I wasn't sure if he was talking about GBP or CAN dollars. See, $10.000 CAN is about $6200 in GBP. Does anybody know what a good amount to have would be?

Any help would be appreciated!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
If you can get in touch with an AFCO close to Lympstone well in advance (several months ahead), it's possible they may be prepared to pre-book the selection elements in a condensed sequence to limit your "stay time" in UK.

Historically I've known guys to fly to UK on the Monday, take a Recruiting Test, eye test & Selection Interview on the Tuesday, Medical on the Weds, complete the online security application and PJFT on the Thurs or Fri, PRMC the following week then fly back home on the Friday, completing the full hit in a couple of weeks. The only accommodation required was for the first week as the second week accommodation was provided free for the duration of PRMC.

Needless to say they have to be extremely well prepared physically, bring all required documentation etc and have established a good rapport with their Careers Adviser.

From experience I've done this several times but the last two were "not good" because one failed the Recruiting Test and another failed the PJFT which makes me reluctant to consider going to all the hassle again in a hurry.

The key is close liaison, preparation & forward planning. After a PRMC pass most guys head home to await a later entry date but it's sometimes possible for them to start RT pretty much a week or two later if there are any "cancellations" or "no shows" and only if they can complete security clearance beforehand.

Squigy69

Reaction score
Historically I've known guys to fly to UK on the Monday, take a Recruiting Test, eye test & Selection Interview on the Tuesday, Medical on the Weds, complete the online security application and PJFT on the Thurs or Fri,
Im from the channel islands and took my recruit test and interview on the friday, and medical and PJFT on the saturday.. all done in 2 days.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Yep, it depends on the individual planning ahead but lack of preparation is often a major snag.

I'm aware of an ex-US Marine failing the 3 mile run on PRMC & known of applicants flying all the way from Australia only to fail the recruiting test.

Al101

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed information. I will make sure to call the AFCO as soon as possible and be 110% prepared when the time comes.

Have a great one!