How old do you have to be to sign up for the Royal Marines?

Mark_Cox

Reaction score
I was just wandering how old u have 2 be to sign up for the Royal Marines because in the Army its 15 years and 7 months.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
In the Royal Marines it's 15 years and 9 months according to my paperwork from when I first visited. In the Army there's a junior leaders course which I think you get put on if you apply when you're 15 and 7 months. This allows you to progress through NCO ranks faster but it's different for the Royal Marines.

Zefan

Reaction score
I was in the AFCO the other day and I heard an adviser on the phone.

"13? You're a little bit too young for us lad... come back in 2 years"

Poor kid!

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah i had something similar, young boy came in with his paper work only to say his mother would not sign them nor would the place that is looking after him as the don't have guardian rights over him, dunno the full story there but heart went out to the little guy, he looked so demoralized over the whole thing.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Normally underage applicants are advised to join the local Cadet units if they haven't already as they give a better insight. They also give those seeking leadership skills, the ability to get a bit of experience - particularly useful when applying to join as an Officer.

The biggest problem is many people tend to view the cadet organisations with disdain- feeling it's "not cool", yet they actually contribute hugely to the recruitment of successful applicants with realisticly managed career expectations.