How pathetic.

JG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Your not even allowed to wear your DPMs outside base, because of the risk of people attacking you, think its pathetic, people should respect what you have done and i think you should be able to show that off!

proudtobebritish

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
why would people want to attack you though if you are a marine and doing the world some good? :dontaskme:

JG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I dont know mate, its really pathetic, did you not see that in paper a few month back.

A para came back from afghanistan and got called a murderer of some lads
A us soldier went home, and got drinks bought for him and his hand shook off everyone he saw on civvy street

its getting pathetic

0.01%

Reaction score
I dont know mate, its really pathetic, did you not see that in paper a few month back.

A para came back from afghanistan and got called a murderer of some lads
A us soldier went home, and got drinks bought for him and his hand shook off everyone he saw on civvy street

its getting pathetic

At the risk of going too deep and getting overly political, this is a reflection on the way the country is going in general. Little cu*ts on every corner, with nothing better today than drink cheep booze and cave some innocent fellas head in, or mug an pensioner, or burgal somebody etc etc.

Only going to get worse as the government sorts themselves out and works another way to fleece the tax payer for a few more quid whilst ignoring, on the whole, the big issues that matter to the average man on the street.

Couple this with house prices and the massive fuel prices, a life in the services seems to make more sense than ever in my book.

JG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just read off an ex marine, that since the conflict as stopped with ireland, the government are advising it, yes thats right saying you should do it!!

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
See, I dunno if its just me, but *text deleted* I wouldnt want to walk around in public in DPMS or a green berret. If I was on duty then fine, I would relish it. But off-duty and not anything RM related, I wouldnt want to do that. A few lads of here mentioned going down the pub wearing green beret, I wouldnt want to do that at all to be honest.

JG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I would then people can say to their mates, wow hes done royal marines training i bet hes nails haha

M

MTW

our country is *text deleted**text deleted*in *text deleted**text deleted*, problem? 90% of the uk public is made up of complete idiots.....never *text deleted* change....i dont care about what their views are *text deleted*...

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
From an AFCO perspective, we find that Royal Marines wearing CS95 out & about merely creates the impression they are in the Army and does little for recognition or recruiting.

Experience indicates that DPM Trousers & a green polo shirt, commando dagger motif on the front together with big daft 50 mm letters on the back (for the hard of hearing) stating: "Royal Marines Commando" does the trick far better. Alternatively wearing half Lovats works better than CS95 as again it differentiates.

JG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
End of day, paras are going to be our oppos, so theres no harm in that

JG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
From an AFCO perspective, we find that Royal Marines wearing CS95 out & about merely creates the impression they are in the Army and does little for recognition or recruiting.

Experience indicates that DPM Trousers & a green polo shirt, commando dagger motif on the front together with big daft 50 mm letters on the back (for the hard of hearing) stating: "Royal Marines Commando" does the trick far better. Alternatively wearing half Lovats works better than CS95 as again it differentiates.

Thats what i wanted to wear haha, green t shirt, beret and cs95 trousers

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Im all for creating recognition and publicity for the RM, and by doing organsied publicity events once I pass out etc. However I just think randomly sat in a pub wearing your beret is screaming out for attention, and saying "yea thats right Im better than you"

Floyd

Reaction score
To be perfectly Honest fletch is right, however thats up to the opinion of the individual. However.

Im new here and thinking of joining the RM, so my opinion may lack the strength of others serving.
But Being abused for wearing uniform out in public just shows the lack of knowledge people hold, or respect for people who do a service.

90% of the population watch the news on TV and see the filtered/censored news which suits the Government in whatever way possible, they dont get the true facts or are just plain ignorant, Abusing fellow Citizens who risk lives are just shows how much people dont care.

I will never understand why most people choose to be abusive instead of neutral or indeed supportive of others.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
why would people want to attack you though if you are a marine and doing the world some good? :dontaskme:

The problem here is that politically the ongoing conflict in Iraq & Afghanistan has many critics. Whilst most appreciate that the Services are apolitical and want peace more than anyone, many people view people in uniform as tangible representatives of government. MP's aren't always visible so if people are frustrated, angry and/or disagree with foreign military intervention they will vent their spleen on something obvious. It's not necessarily aimed at the individual in uniform, but their political masters that send them to implement their policies regardless of your political beliefs. That's democracy at work & something you have to accept in the Armed Forces.

Many years ago the Falklands Conflict, as it occured, had massive public support orchestrated largely by the British media (although there were still many who objected for a plethora of reasons). The support was so overwhelming that when many returned to UK we didn't ever have to put our hands in our pockets to buy a drink because complete strangers just kept buying you a drink to say "well done".

The current conflicts are so multi-faceted that no-one really knows who the good guys or the bad guys really are and there is no "quick fix" victory so the public support wanes the longer it lasts.

Im all for creating recognition and publicity for the RM, and by doing organsied publicity events once I pass out etc. However I just think randomly sat in a pub wearing your beret is screaming out for attention, and saying "yea thats right Im better than you"

There are two issues there really:

One is that under normal circumstances berets aren't worn indoors unless there's a formal inspection/parade or suchlike & secondly the Corps probably would not advocate the link between the Royal Marines being associated directly with pub culture. Undoubtedly the majority enjoy a drink however it's a different matter wearing uniform & drinking in a pub as it can draw negative attention for a host of reasons.

The thing to remember is that the mentality of some individuals, particularly after a few drinks, is that they believe themselves to be invincible - this can often manifest unfavourable public perception and could bring the Corps into disrepute if it ends in a brawl. Whether you "win" or "lose", you will most certainly lose overall. The bigger man is the one that walks away and does not advertise his prescence, the statement is far more profound. (And minimises the risk of being stabbed in the back).

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Deserts

I live next door to a marine in 40 Cmdo, about a month ago or so he came back from afghanistan and did some parade in Taunton, that evening I saw him in my local Co-op with a Calypso lolly and a 4 pack of beer in his hand, full desert combats and green beret on!

I guess my question is, do they have calypso lolly's in the 'ghan'.

WrapJuice

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
I can understand why potential RM and RM Commandos want to "show off" their achievements by wearing their gear in public but you just know some little *text deleted**text deleted*s are *text deleted* say something like "so you think you're hard army man" then kick the crap out of you.

Is it worth it?

Geordie

Reaction score
Hello lads

Unfortunately there are those types of people who will want to 'test' themselves against you if you're military and they're not. It is indeed pathetic - Steven Preece's book 'Amongst the Marines' offers plenty of examples of people from his home town wanting to 'prove' themselves by having a fight with him just because he's in the Royal Marines. People will, regrettably, think that as a member of the Armed Forces you're there for the picking - I don't think it's indicative of the way society is now as Steven's book draws on his experiences in the late 80s, it's more indicative of a public in general not being educated correctly about the good work the Armed Forces do (thanks to the press and its continuing manipulation of the conflicts in which the UK is currently engaged in order to shift units/attract viewers), and the undoubted jealousy that many (lads) not in the military feel when they see something that they've never had the heart or guts to do themselves.

Best

sooty795

Reaction score
i completely agree regarding the arguement that are force should be able to wear uniform in public and deserve the same repect and gratitude from the local community as that of the US force.

however from my own experience, once the novelty wears off of wearing your uniform etc, you begin to look at it as any other work dress, still proud of course but, after a long hard day at work you just want to get changed.

there maybe the odd occasion on your wat home you nip into the shop for something, but going into a pub with your mates wearing your lid, i think not.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Pathetic human beings! Jollies Bar 72
C this is is why the government is pathetic.... Jollies Bar 3