How to improve 1.5 mile run

Chick3nHawk01

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all like this thread title says I need to improve my 1.5-mile run. I did it yesterday with a time of 11:01 and I need to get it under 10 minutes any help will be great
Thanks
RyanL

Kangarooj

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Keep practicing the BFT maybe once or twice a week. (I personally only do it once)
Do hillsprints to build up the speed maybe twice a week, don't do it on two consecutive days
Long distance runs (6 miles+) to build the endurance.
Keep doing it all and you will improve, it just takes time
My pb is 9:09, aiming for under 9 minutes

Chick3nHawk01

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Keep practicing the BFT maybe once or twice a week. (I personally only do it once)
Do hillsprints to build up the speed maybe twice a week, don't do it on two consecutive days
Long distance runs (6 miles+) to build the endurance.
Keep doing it all and you will improve, it just takes time
My pb is 9:09, aiming for under 9 minutes
Thanks mate even though I am joining the paras I will still do the bft I have to lift 40kg up to a height of 1.45 m and jerry can lift with 2 20kg jerry cans walking 120m in under 2 minutes

Hyperhippo

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
The key to improving anything is consistency, and sheer determination that you will meet and exceed your goals.

Like @Kangarooj said, don’t run consecutively so take a rest from running the day after running. But remember, the amount of running you do will reflect on how quickly you meet your goal time.

As an example, I know a guy who got his 1.5 mile down from 12:33 to 9:17 over a two year period whilst we were at college. His method? Going to college every Saturday morning and running the route twice, so one 3 mile run a week. As well as other CV training such as cycling, rowing and swimming in the week.

Oh, and he was out for 2 months from injury

Chick3nHawk01

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Oh thanks @Hyperhippo and I need help with something else I can lift 40kg up to a height of 1.45m I can't even lift 40kg

Kangarooj

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Oh thanks @Hyperhippo and I need help with something else I can lift 40kg up to a height of 1.45m I can't even lift 40kg
Buy yourself a kettlebell, or use a rucksack of some kind and fill it with heavy stuff, not too heavy but heavy to the point where you can only lift it 3-5 times In a row.
Do that 3 sets a day 4 days a week, and increase the weight a little bit after a week or two and it'll build up.

Chick3nHawk01

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Buy yourself a kettlebell, or use a rucksack of some kind and fill it with heavy stuff, not too heavy but heavy to the point where you can only lift it 3-5 times In a row.
Do that 3 sets a day 4 days a week, and increase the weight a little bit after a week or two and it'll build up.
Okay thanks mate got my interview for the paras in under 2 weeks the 27th of this month they just want me to tell them my 1.5 mile time

Kangarooj

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
A solid rule to go by, is give yourself time to improve, and only increase the difficulty of the exercise a minimal amount each time. It works with any type of exercise.
I don't believe anyone can increase their fitness safely in a short period of time.
Allow your body time to adapt, and it will not get injured.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Okay thanks mate got my interview for the paras in under 2 weeks the 27th of this month they just want me to tell them my 1.5 mile time

You change your mind paras/marines like this fine Welsh weather I'm so used to! Make sure it's what you want 100% as seen a few posts from you saying your doing it then changing your mind few days later to the other! *text deleted*

As for the 1.5 mile run not quite sure how much you actually run weekly but just keep running distances and everytime try shave off time each run you do even if it's only 10 seconds a run itl soon add up.

just keep at it you'll soon improve in no time same with the lift just try build strength in your body to get used to it and work your way up.

I'm not quite sure of the paras application route what happens after the interview stage? But I know when I went for the (marines) interview when I was asked about all my stats pjft/prmc scores unless they were above the criteria tested on I wasn't aloud to go any further with the application basically getting sent to prmc to fail until they felt confident I would pass.

Léngth

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
When I was training for my PJFT I was doing 2 or 3 6-9 mile runs a week and a hill sprints session, got 8:50 or something on my 1.5 return on PRMC.

Wings

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Prac's 1.5 miler is pretty tough ryan. However there is a slight leeway if you go over aslong as you show enough effort or grit youll pass. A lad i genuinely know from my prac got over 10 minutes 1.5 steeplechase 18 mins 40 he is at p company week now.
It isnt a flat route it has a gradual hill and a steep one and some down gradients. Its tough I got 9.49 so I failed but I smashed steeplechase and 4 miler.

Chick3nHawk01

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Prac's 1.5 miler is pretty tough ryan. However there is a slight leeway if you go over aslong as you show enough effort or grit youll pass. A lad i genuinely know from my prac got over 10 minutes 1.5 steeplechase 18 mins 40 he is at p company week now.
It isnt a flat route it has a gradual hill and a steep one and some down gradients. Its tough I got 9.49 so I failed but I smashed steeplechase and 4 miler.
Thank mate I will be a junior soldier because I am only 16 so I think I wouldn#t do the prac yet as I have my 2 day assessment soon
Thanks
Ryan

Moyster

Reaction score
Hello all like this thread title says I need to improve my 1.5-mile run. I did it yesterday with a time of 11:01 and I need to get it under 10 minutes any help will be great
Thanks
RyanL

Like a few people have already suggested doing hill sprints. I personally struggled with running but after doing a good hour of hill sprints 2-3 times a week it massively helped me with running endurance & speed. Make sure you push yourself on the hill sprints but don't over do it and after you finish doing them go for a timed mile run and try and beat that time on your next session that's how i track my progress each week.

J

New Threads