Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

How to improve your state of mind

Discussion in 'Training Plans and Diet Suggestions' started by Slackkers, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Slackkers

Slackkers New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi all
    my long term Goal is to join the royal marines as an officer after uni, 17 *text deleted*, i am currently working on improving my cardio, press ups, pull ups, sit ups etc. I was wondering how to improve mental toughness and state of mind, e.g stopping before you've given 100% percent effort while running. I want to know how i can overcome this mental barrier as its really worrying me at the moment
    any help / advice at all would be much appreciated

• Like Like x 2
  2. sharpe

sharpe Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Take the marines away for a minute, you’re 17! You’re still working it all out confidence wise. Don’t be too hard on yourself, put yourself in situations that challenge your normal thinking and get used to pushing beyond the comfort zone. You will find it very useful for life in general:) back yourself basically

• Like Like x 6
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  3. Slackkers

Slackkers New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    *text deleted* thanks alot, your probably right, thanks for the advice

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

The Duke of Edinburgh Award scheme is highly recommended, so are the Prince's Trust schemes.

Also recommend looking into the uniformed youth organisations & maybe Cadet Forces Adult Volunteer (CFAV).

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  5. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

My bold. Self awareness and a desire to improve oneself is generally a good thing but don't let it dominate you or bother you. At age seventeen the world truly is your lobster. As stated in the sound suggestions above, take a step out of your comfort zone; a leap is not necessary.

Perhaps consider a part-time job which might fit in with your academic studies. Any old job will do; in fact the lower the status, the more one learns about 'the world of work'.
    Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
  6. StrSam

StrSam Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    For me, boxing was a huge 'level up' in my confidence and mental toughness. See if there is a place near you that allows you to spar against others and give it a go (normally places have a free trial day) if that interests you.
    Any combat sport would help in my opinion; muay thai, bjj etc. Taught me to be confident in my own ability and problem solve in an uncomfortable environment.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Slackkers

Slackkers New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet

*text deleted* thats actually a shout, i will give it a go

• Like Like x 1
  8. Corona

Corona Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Personally, I found getting a part time job in a cafe helpful in improving my confidence, interacting with customers daily and gradually getting more responsibility from the manager as you grow into your role.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

@Slackkers

If you are wondering why your posts keep featuring “text deleted” it is because you continue to use text speak. It seems to the word “Yeah” that keeps catching you out, just spell it properly and all will be good in the world.

Interesting thread this and some fantastic answers. I guess only you, the individual, can build that mental strength but I find it fascinating to look at mental resilience as something you can build. I suppose, you could view mental strength like muscular strength and acknowledge no one has an unlimited supply and it can be improved with effort.
    Personally I would advise keeping a strong sense of humour when training, It will help. Being able to laugh and smile when things are awful will really help. Apart from that try and keep your energy high, mind-set positive, and don’t waste precious time worrying about things out of your control.
    Most people think of Commando’s as machines (yes I’m aware of the bait I’ve dangled here for all the Bootnecks and can hear their ears twitching). You might think they all rise at 5AM every day, eat an avocado-chia-fennel-apricot-papaya smoothie before a 10 miler, snorts brussel sprout flakes whilst smashing up spider man style press-ups because they have no choice...But this isn’t true. Because, if you actually know anybody like this (they do exist- weirdos), you’ll notice something really basic about them: they actually enjoy it.

That’s the key, enjoy yourself and enjoy the journey and it’ll not feel like slow torture.

Remember training is progressive and nobody knows what they are doing week 1, Day 1. You’ll be expected to understand the standards expected of you in your locker lay out and standard of dress long before you are expected to display key fieldcraft skills such as admin in the field, observation, judging distances, target indication, camouflage and concealment- for example.

There’s a lot to learn in a short space of time. Everything you learn is progressive and as the weeks go on all the information you learn is built upon and you can see the progression. Don’t over think it and just enjoy the ride. Smile more.

• Nailed It Nailed It x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. RM_Yorkshire

RM_Yorkshire New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Put yourself in uncomfortable situations and learn to 'enjoy' it. Using that word loosely.

I spend a lot of time in the mountains, overnighters bivvying and pitching a tent in pitch black in sometimes absolutely *text deleted*ing horrible conditions. But you just learn to crack on and adapt. I remember first time I did a solo camp in the Lake district and my tent blew over, I was soaking wet and had to find my way off of Helvellyn in pitch black at 3am with only a head torch and my map reading skills were crap. I survived and went back the following week and had a successful trip! It'sjust learning to adapt to the situation you're in and doing it with a bit of a smile - no one can stop you smiling!

Team sports are also great - I used to play a lot of Rugby and initially that really helped boost my confidence. I was a little scrawny lad couldn;t even lift 10kg dumbells at 15. Then playedrugby and hit the gym within a year I was enjoying my time and enjoying the gym. It's just about turning the *text deleted* storms and problems into solutions.

Easier said than done sometimes. But just learn to be uncomfortable - it;;serve you well in general life as well, because *text deleted* me it gets *text deleted* sometimes!

• Like Like x 2