How to learn the type 23 frigates in five mins!! Honest!

crackhour

Civilian Member
Reaction score
Here is what I did to learn the full fleet of frigates the night before my AFCO inteview...And so can you once you read this story!

All ships obviously have HMS in front of their names!
Bear with the story, the more weird, the better you will remember....
Here we go.. (try to vision the story.....)

The IRON DUKE knocked on your front door, he was sat on a huge white horse wearing ARGYLL socks, he was chomping frantically on a RICHMOND sausage.
He needed to find the town of KENT badly because there was a LANCASTER bomber with a huge wooley MONMOUTH trapped inside!
He was frantic, because hed just seen PORTLAND bill on his way to NORTHUMBERLAND who told him that it was near a huge mountian with a rose on the top called MONTROSE.
He had to get there before SOMERSET in because of heatstroke..
and kieffer SUTHERLAND and his hollywood chums were drink drivers, and had been St ALBANS through the post although it had'nt stopped them driving through WESTMINSTER....

Vision each part of the story the best you can...

HMS Iron Duke
HMS Argyll
HMS Richmond
HMS Kent
HMS Lancaster
HMS Monmouth
HMS Portland
HMS Northumberland
HMS Montrose
HMS Somerset
HMS Sutherland
HMS St Albans
HMS Westminster.

After reading this story tHREE times, how many ships can you write down without looking...???? Please try now *text deleted*..
After you amaze yourself, post your results of how many you could remember!

Please also note that this works with anything AND YOU CAN MAKE UP YOUR OWN STORIES!
You now have a FANTASTIC memory...
No Thanks required.... heheheh...

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
An excellent aid to learning lists other than by rote/parrot fashion.

Just an aside for those yet to undergo Selection Interview, it's highly unlikely you will be asked to name any ships other than maybe Albion, Bulwark or Ocean as a Royal Marine as they are the amphibeous assault ships you are most likely to serve on, en-masse.

You may serve on deployed T23's as boarding teams (Like Prince William on Iron Duke - funny how he managed to get attached to my last ship as it goes to the West Indies, eh?).

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I got asked about loads of ships in my selection interview, I think I had a tough imterviewer, but I didnt know and she didnt seem to bothered so oh well *text deleted*.

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
That's actually the mehod that was taught to my course by one of my uni lecturers-it does work and is a bit of fun as well

Davyashy

Reaction score
If anyone's interested in learning lists like this, Derren Browns' book is a good read, particularly the "memory" chapter which teaches visualisation techniques and the likes.

Unfortunately you'll be lining the irritable *text deleted**text deleted*s pockets :frown:

Ash

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
One of my former lecturers told me a brilliant method of learning as many different things as you want..

write a list of 1 to say 20 and remember something that goes with each number.

eg. 1 god, 2 towers, tri-cycle etc..

then when you know your list off by heart add the words to your list, so say for example you need to remember chicken as one word and ocean as another *text deleted* then you think of god eating chicken and the twin towers being swallowed by the ocean or something etc etc..

then when you come to resite the words you have your original code there so you can associate which the two..

If you see what i mean :S

poor explanation there *text deleted*

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Can't hurt to know though can it? You may have a tougher interviewer after all.

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
I spent hours revising info like this and the bloody interviewer didn't ask anything of what i revised *text deleted* :amazed: