how to run

lukey boy 91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
just wanted to see peoples oppinions on how to run, i run about 4 times a week and ther 6 mile runs my pace is pretty good i do just under 6 mile runs and it takes about 40 mins and on a on a friday or a thursday i do sprinting on some field by mine for about half an hour to try and get my speed up, am i doin this right and is ther anythin else tha would help me with my speed becasue i still think i need to be faster

Charlie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
sounds good to me...theyre good times for your 6 mile runs

and it sounds good that you are incorporating sprints into the program..

maybe try some interval training ? so regular pace for a bit, then 30sec sprint about 5 times in your 4-5mile run? i found thats helped me alot too

kepp it up and itll improve slowly!

Charlie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
hold on a second! thats not a real website!....:saythat:

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
He wasn't really asking how to run, just what type of runs to do and for how long. Not a stupid question at all...

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah sounds good but maybe add some shorter runs like 3 milers? Maybe with some HIIT(sprints) in them.

emerson88

Reaction score
I would try running on different terrain such as road and grass, beach running is really good (if you're lucky enough to live by a beach), up and down hills and steps. I do a six mile run on a coast path near me which includes all that, steps are a killer!!

emerson88

Reaction score
also, does everybody here run with a weighted bag on? I run with a bag on but not with much weight in it at all as i really need to work on my speed.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
also, does everybody here run with a weighted bag on? I run with a bag on but not with much weight in it at all as i really need to work on my speed.
Don't worry about weight to be honest mate,
unless it's needed like you swim before or afterwards and run to the swimming baths/back home,
as many people say it can cause permanent damage to joints so it's best avoided,
you could try hiking or just fast walking with a weighted bag on,
just to get you used to the yomping you'll be doing.

Joe

Ipodbob

Reaction score
I did that once but as soon as i spoke to my local Marine he said its a BIG no no, you will get brought into that slowely and the last thing you want is collapsed arches or knee problems :sad2:.

Indeed i have a beach at home and damn its hard work.

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
*text deleted* obviosly a retard to think i was asking how you actually run *text deleted* idiot:blink:
Maybe so. But not retarded enough to spell 'obviously' wrong. And if you wish to understand my post a bit better look up 'sarcasm' in the dictionary.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
sar·cas·m (sär-kasm): (Noun) Meaning or referring to Matt B. irony, satire, caustic remark (witty language used to convey insults or scorn) "he used sarcasm to upset his opponent"; "irony is wasted on the stupid"; "Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own"--Jonathan Swift
See also critical - marked by a tendency to find and call attention to errors and flaws; "a critical attitude"
:Wisper:

lukey boy 91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
wow you can spell well done i wonder how long it took for you to realise i had spelt it wrong

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
The same time it took your mum to realize I had short changed her

Beats

Reaction score
how would you go about extending the distance and speed you run? would fartlek be idea? or would you run futher slower?

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Keeping your heart rate high for as long as possible is a good start, doesn't have to be running, could be cycling for a few hours at a reasonable time or swimming, as long as your heart is going at at least double for as long as possible.
Also you want to try and increase your maximum lung capacity, so try hill sprints, run up hill as fast as you can until you think you're *text deleted* die and your lungs are trying to suck the whole world in, then walk briskly back to where you started, then repeat for a total of about 5 times, trying as best you can to keep the effort the same each time, ie, maximum.

S

Sotiris

Don't worry about weight to be honest mate,
unless it's needed like you swim before or afterwards and run to the swimming baths/back home,
as many people say it can cause permanent damage to joints so it's best avoided,
you could try hiking or just fast walking with a weighted bag on,
just to get you used to the yomping you'll be doing.

Joe
See now this is a bone of contention within this website. I've always thought that training with weights was worth it. Met up with my AFCO a couple of weeks ago, spoke to him about training. He said train "on occasion" with weights, train with trousers, long sleeve, layers, jump in the shower fully clothed and go for a run. But don't train with boots.

I run with weights often now and can honestly say it works. It really strains the legs. The first time your quads will kill and the next day you'll be in sooo much pain. I perhaps went too far and ran with both my dumbells in my backpack the first time. 22.5 kg. Hehe I wasn't running for a few days after that!