How will officers be integrated into future commando force?

CaffeinatedWizard29

Reaction score
Hi all
I was just wondering how officers would be integrated into future commando force since they are trained to lead typically 30 people instead of leading amongst a small group of soldiers.
Cheers -jimlad-:)

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Your guess is as good as ours mate. FCF seems to be a couple of letters getting thrown around and a couple of gucci lads on Instagram. 40 are currently the FCF guinea pigs but nobody is really sure what they are up to.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
You could find that the boss leads a 12 man multiple and a sgt or cpl runs another. Its all very flexible. Could be Boss lead one, senior Cpl lead another and then Sgts party to the rear.

I've seen quite a few different methods flying around, including officers watching the troop from an ops room and relaying info from there. It really is all trial and error at the minute

G_commando

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
The thing is yes the aim is to work in smaller teams but there will still be troops just working in smaller teams so the officers will still be in charge but mostly working a tactical bound behind the smaller teams.

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting reading. All to be seen but maybe the US SF model will be looked at or tried out? There each 12 man team has either a junior officer or a SNCO at the top of it, no real distinction between the two at Team level, but from Capt and above it becomes a more 'Ops Room' format.

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I can see that would be a good idea. Only thing is, (I could be wrong here) but I honestly don’t think we have enough officers to fill those roles. We only take on 60 a year and not all of them pass out or serve in the corps once passed out.

TheRents

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Surely the whole FCF thing only really makes a difference at fighting units anyway.

Even with a notional 30 strong Troop you already have a Troop Sergeant and a Troop Commander, so two teams of 15 or any other split wouldn't require more officers.

From what I know(very little) the whole Troop concept seems far more fluid, at certain units, than the career blurb would have you believe.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
You could find that the boss leads a 12 man multiple and a sgt or cpl runs another. Its all very flexible. Could be Boss lead one, senior Cpl lead another and then Sgts party to the rear.

I've seen quite a few different methods flying around, including officers watching the troop from an ops room and relaying info from there. It really is all trial and error at the minute
Yea, I’ve worked with multiples that were led by either the Sgt or the Boss out on ops.

I’d imagine there’s a way around it or it’s been looked into. There’s no way the officers wouldn’t have covered their own arses before dripping it down to the lads.

dolly

Reaction score