Hunters moon

wilko999

Reaction score
Just completed exercise hunters moon, generally the hardest thing i have ever done in my life! How did everyone else find exercise hunters moon?

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Did you do it on Woodbury or Dartmoor?

wilko999

Reaction score
Ive heard its the worst of phase one, however ive heard the CFT on baptist walk is a bit of a hang out how do you think violent entry stacks up to hunters moon haha?

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Ive heard its the worst of phase one, however ive heard the CFT on baptist walk is a bit of a hang out how do you think violent entry stacks up to hunters moon haha?
Yea I found the cft on Baptist Walk hard but that's ok because it makes the one on Baptist Run seem easier.

VE is probably harder on paper but by that stage your a lot more used to yomping, sleep deprivation etc whereas on HM it was the first time you were properly exposed to it. You get more rest in Phase 2 so you do recover a bit better. Don't get me wrong it's still a very tough exercise but you will feel better prepared than you probably did for HM.

westy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Lads, a quick question that’s I always think about!

How does the wet and dry routine work, if your in your dry kit and get bumped at 3am and it’s hammering it down?

Surely you don’t have the time to get back in to wet kit and by the time you can your dry kit will also be wet?

Bellionaire679

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Was t serious mate. Just got back off it and it's been -4 all week so was horrendous
Haha I knew what you meant. I’m using my phone and I forgot online forums didn’t use emojis there was meant to be a “;)

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Good Q on the wet/dry routine. I'd have thought in a true operational environment it becomes wet/wet routine due to the idea being to fight to win, rather than come top in the sartorial elegance of the participants. What they do in training in this respect would be interesting to hear.

It would also be interesting to hear what aspects of Hunters Moon make it so difficult in the eyes of those having done it.

Back in the day, we used to give a £1000 recruiting bounty to trained ranks who mentored friends who got as far as passing Hunters Moon, so it should obviously be considered as a significant milestone in training.

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
Good Q on the wet/dry routine. I'd have thought in a true operational environment it becomes wet/wet routine due to the idea being to fight to win, rather than come top in the sartorial elegance of the participants. What they do in training in this respect would be interesting to hear.
The irony of the TT is sometimes lost on me! We were bumped on an Ex in RT and crashed moved to the ERV after fighting our way out. All very successfully done. After re-grouping we went back into harbour routine and paraded the next morning where we were all flanked for having crabby kit!

On another occasion doing the EC, we were given a weapon inspection after completing the last tunnel prior to the run back. The PW there picked me up for having a dirty weapon. After dragging myself and my kit around the EC, with all the mud that there is, my comment of "No sh!t Sherlock!" earnt me one almighty 'extra phys'! :(

Alan

westy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score

It would also be interesting to hear what aspects of Hunters Moon make it so difficult in the eyes of those having done it.

Back in the day, we used to give a £1000 recruiting bounty to trained ranks who mentored friends who got as far as passing Hunters Moon, so it should obviously be considered as a significant milestone in training.
It definitely makes you think doesn’t it? I mean, from what I can work out the TT are big on wet/dry and I think it’s down to having lads go down with hypothermia and other cold weather injuries.

I suppose that’s where my question comes from

DhobiWanKenobi

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I think the reason Hunters Moon is so difficult is that it’s one of the biggest steps in terms of difficulty of the exercise. There are more difficult exercises, but they don’t come with such a massive difference.

But yeah if you get bumped and it’s raining then it just becomes wet/wet routine. But with some decent admin you can get the kit dry again eventually.

westy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I think the reason Hunters Moon is so difficult is that it’s one of the biggest steps in terms of difficulty of the exercise. There are more difficult exercises, but they don’t come with such a massive difference.

But yeah if you get bumped and it’s raining then it just becomes wet/wet routine. But with some decent admin you can get the kit dry again eventually.
Thanks for your answer in wet/dry routine

cc1

(former RM)
Reaction score
In an Operational environment crash-moving in your dry kit is purely a life-saving drill.

In training, if required, it would preceed some sort of tactical 'dry out' in a secure harbour at a later point.

Wet/Dry, as disgusting as it is, is a very effective drill and marks a distinction between a motivated soldier and a liability. That said, if I was ever breaking contact in my Silver Shadows I would be asking questions about my boss' placement of the harbour prior to getting back into wet kit!!

Hunter's moon dit: was snowing during our survival phase and went down to -10°c. I seem to recall spending the whole night walking around the woods chopping down every tree in sight just to stay warm, and falling asleep with my feet too close to the fire resulting in melted boots for the extraction yomp, some interesting explanations at stores and a lot of biscuits.

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
Bribery is an ugly word but quality biscuits are the universal currency of stores. :)
I can remember the armourers at CTC being like a corner shop with Nods turning up there with a pull through, with a piece of 4x3 stuck in the barrel of their weapon and being reminded, at a cost, that 4x2 would have prevented the problem!

Alan

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
proudmama Hunters Moon Parents & Partners 10
pinkypanther Socks Hunters moon advice Parents & Partners 67
BillyTheKid Completed hunters moon- AMA Recruit Training (RT) Chat 4