I cannot squat properly...

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by tdawg, Dec 11, 2016.

1. tdawg

tdawg New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I was reading some advice on stabilising my knees and when I was done, I clicked on a link about a wall squat.

Supposedly I should be able to perform a body weight squat with my toes against a wall. I can't get even close, because my knees go forward and I can't shift my body weight forward to stay balanced (because there is a wall in the way!) By not close I'm talking I can't even drop 45 degrees.

I understand your not supposed to allow your knees to go too far forward when squatting but can't find much info on what to do about it.

It's some kind of flexibility/balance issue I'm sure... Or maybe it's nothing to worry about!

Thoughts?

2. BoxSwallow

BoxSwallow Active Member

It might be a hip mobility issue, ankle mobility issue or you're likely more Quad dominant when you squat so you shift the weight forward when you squat down so that your quads take most of the weight rather than you glutes.....possibly I'm not an expert/physio/doctor or anything. If you do a normal air squat with your arms above your head how deep can you go?
    Here's 2 good articles to have a look at:
    https://breakingmuscle.com/learn/6-mobility-exercises-for-an-a-to-grass-squat
    https://breakingmuscle.com/learn/squat-therapy-4-drills-that-will-improve-your-squat

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  3. tdawg

tdawg New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks, I'll be giving these a try. Looks like I can start away from the wall and gradually move in as a progression.

In a normal squat I can go all the way down but my knees crunch, so I stop at 90 degrees. I have to keep my arms in from as a counter balance.

I'll work on these and report back!

• Like Like x 1
  4. BoxSwallow

BoxSwallow Active Member

• Like Like x 1