I don't know what to do

Dan

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just finished college, put in an application to uni, but I really don't want to go. Parents don't really care what I do (don't think they'd even care if I join the forces as long as I'm not spending there money).

The thing is, because I've only thought about going into the Marines for the last month or so, I don't know whether to apply or not. It feels as if I should be having more time to think about joining so I can assess all of my options - but I really want to join.

Does anybody else feel like this? (not knowing whether to join or not because they haven't thought about it enough), or anybody with any advice?

Cheers

I just need to do something quick as I feel as if I'm being rushed into doing something as soon as possible by parents etc.

M

MTW

if your having doubts then dont mate, wait untill your have looked into it properly and then decide. cant go into this half hearted, wont get through the door.

Dan

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not having doubts, I think it's possibly the best thing that I could do at the minute.

It just feels wrong that I haven't had thoughts about joining for years like some of the people on here, and it's only been in the front of my minds for the last 4-5 weeks. (Although all I've been doing for the last 4-5 weeks is studying/researching the Royal Marines).

Macca

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Dan, I wouldn't advise anyone to rush into joining the Royal Marines if they have't had much thought about it, but at the end of the day if its something you really want to do then go for it mate, but be certain you've thoroughly researched what the marines are about and whats involved and be certain its what you want, otherwise any doubts will probably not see you through the 32 weeks of training pal

M

MTW

ah right well if your not having doubts its alright, i went to the afco after a couple of weeks of thinking about it and got my application and had a chat with one of the recruiting officers, that made me want it more, and my enthusiasm and love for the corps has just grown since then, so i reckon go for it, i thought exactly the same thing, hearing about people wanting to do it all their lives etc etc, but just go for it mate i say. deffinatly get down the afco and have a chat with one of the officers and he will run you through the Royal Marines etc, and you can have a chat about it. go for it.

Dan

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers guys.

Looks like I'm in the same kinda boat as you was MTW. (well...the 'Only a few weeks thought' kind of thing).

Macca - Don't worry, I'd never rush into anything like this - it's just that this seems the perfect time for me to get the ball rolling.

Thanks again.

Macca

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Good effort dan, Id say go for it buddy

Nacnud

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, if you truly want it, go for it. However, You have to be prepared. If you have been training for one month, thats not enough. You have to be absolutely prepared, otherwise you will probably fail.

"If you fail to prepare, you are preparing to fail."
Abraham Lincoln

proudtobebritish

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Im in a same position as you Dan. *text deleted*'e said to my girlfriend I wont join *text deleted* its unfair on her but my gut is tellin me to join. Im stuck and havent trained properly in over a month, My girlfriend makes me laugh and I allways love being with her but Im still wanting to become a Marine.

Im stuck in a hole aswell man. But if I was you I would take a few more months to think it over properly and then decide.

All the best mate.

ChrisL

Reaction score
No point into rushing you decision....theres all the tym in the world to make a decision you could go to uni and then come out and go 4 POC then agen u cud go in wen *text deleted* 30...Up 2 you just dont rush it

a flying dodo

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Dan, my advice would be to go to uni and get a degree. Then if you decide its not for you then you have a degree to fall back on, however if you still want to join the you can earn double money as an officer with your degree.

Proudtobebritish, as harsh as this sounds and im not saying your relationship wont last forever, because it could, but have you ever been in a relationship where it has not ended.

But my genral advice to the both of is the marines will not run away, they will be there when you wake up tomorrow and for years to come. Dont rush it, minimal comitments for the marines are quite long, but compare it to your life and it can also be ashort amount of time.

Best of luck.

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
its a big decision to make, i was in the same position and i almost dropped out of college to continue applying for the marines. But i stuck with college and completed it, that was probably the best decision i made, it also gave me extra time to learn more about the corps and what i was letting myself in for. The more time you give it, the better you can prepare.

Robbie Spice

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Just finished college, put in an application to uni, but I really don't want to go. Parents don't really care what I do (don't think they'd even care if I join the forces as long as I'm not spending there money).

The thing is, because I've only thought about going into the Marines for the last month or so, I don't know whether to apply or not. It feels as if I should be having more time to think about joining so I can assess all of my options - but I really want to join.

Does anybody else feel like this? (not knowing whether to join or not because they haven't thought about it enough), or anybody with any advice?

Cheers

I just need to do something quick as I feel as if I'm being rushed into doing something as soon as possible by parents etc.

since you spelt their as there then don't worry about uni.

I know that was a completley *text deleted**text deleted*ish thing to say but I just want more people to join the marines.

Dan

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
since you spelt their as there then don't worry about uni.

I know that was a completley *text deleted**text deleted*ish thing to say but I just want more people to join the marines.

I'm crap with my there's and their's. :laugh:

:doh:

W/\Nnabe

Reaction score
Dan i think im kinda in the same boat as you! my life is about the Armed forces- specifically the RM, however my problem is i dont know whether to join the RMR or Regulars! because of different situations etc.

sorry to do this Dan... but anyone looking through this thread if you have the time could you please check out my thread? its called 'Dialema' i need some help with a few things! people with good experience of the application process- anyone who is actually in the RM or RT would be a great help!

sorry Dan, feel like im trying to steal people away from your thread! *text deleted*

but Dan for you, id say, what do you really care most for! in 10 years time would you rather have whatever career with your degree from uni? or be a RM? i think you have got to have a full commitment to the RM if you really *text deleted* push through it and earn that green beret!

Dan

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yea man, I know where your coming from.

And as for the thread hijacking....LETS DUEL! :fight:

:laugh:

Nacnud

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Im in a same position as you Dan. *text deleted*'e said to my girlfriend I wont join *text deleted* its unfair on her but my gut is tellin me to join. Im stuck and havent trained properly in over a month, My girlfriend makes me laugh and I allways love being with her but Im still wanting to become a Marine.

Im stuck in a hole aswell man. But if I was you I would take a few more months to think it over properly and then decide.

All the best mate.

Mate, put it this way, if she truly loves you, she will stay with you if you enlist for the green lid.
But the worst thing that can happen is you and your girlfriend, old and grey, on some rocking chairs on your porch. You cast whats left of your mind back to your youthful days and say to yourself "what the *text deleted* have I done in my life".
"whats that dear?"
"I havn't done nowt! and I die next week! life sucked!"

New Threads