I had a horrible day today...near medical fail as well!

Globe-Trotter

PRMC Passed
Reaction score
Well the day came for my medical,I had no worries about this as ive done them before for the TA so I couldnt think of anything to worry about.

Medical was at 12noon so I got my bicycle out for the 4 mile ride to the AFCO beings it was a nice day-here was my mistake :shock: Anybody who has gota a pair of SPD shoes and pedals (the ones that you click onto the pedals and are effectively stuck to the bike) will know its near enough impossible to do anything more than a walking pace if you need to move about off the bike.Anyway got about a mile into the trip and i got a puncture and anybody with a racer will know that you get no warning with a puncture-it just goes flat.So there I was about 3 mile from the AFCO,stranded with a set of SPD's with 30mins left to get there.So rung the AFCO to say I wouldnt be coming due to the puncture :cry:...but! the recruiter came out in his car to get me!we put the bike in the car :*text deleted*: Success!

meanwhile got to the medical just in time,passed everything until I got to the hearing test :roll: The test started,I heard the first the few bleeps then nothing-couldnt hear a thing.The nurse said 'are you sure you cant hear anything','No...nothing' I replied.Somewhat confused by this as I didnt think i was that deaf I headed off for the 'cough' part of the medical which I passed much to my relief.The doctor sent me back to the hearing part again and I passed with flying colours :? ,this time hearing a lot more!

Dont know what happend there but I think the machine was playing up.

Anyway I passed-bring on the PJFT

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Nice one Globe,

Although I thought it was usually wedding bells you could hear after someones been messing with your b@/#'s. :*text deleted*:

any way nice one

GW

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Nice one mate :D You'll ace the PFTJ and then your well on your way to PRMC land.

Globe-Trotter

PRMC Passed
Reaction score
Shiloh79 said:
Nice one mate :D You'll ace the PFTJ and then your well on your way to PRMC land.
Ive got the PJFT on the 24th,I thought I would delay it a bit (I will be honest-I havent trained for 10 days :shock:).Ive been too busy with selling my car,taking bike lessons and also birthday celebrations-HANGOVERS! :*text deleted*: So I need a couple weeks to get back to my previous state (roughly 9.30 on the 1.5mile)

As for the PRMC I realistically dont see me doing it this side of Christmas :cry: .I think work might kick off if I have 4 days off (I havent got any leave left,also in my profession we get very busy up to Christmas plus the fact we have lost a lot of experienced guys recently and due to loose a few more in the next couple weeks :roll: ) So loosing a 'veteran' so to speak a for 4 days in the build up to the busy period might cause some grief-though I dont think theres anything they can do about it if I did choose to go for a pre-Christams date as I think its law they have to give you time off for 'interviews' for a new job.Not sure on that though,maybe someone could shine some light on that.

Jamie

Reaction score
also I was told tonight that everybody is entitle to 4 extra days holiday as off october.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Nice one GT.

I'm impressed with your AFCO mate- if you'd have rung me, stating you were 3 miles away, I'd have advised that you should be arriving in about, 22 minutes & 30 seconds.... GO!

Globe-Trotter

PRMC Passed
Reaction score
Ninja_Stoker said:
Nice one GT.

I'm impressed with your AFCO mate- if you'd have rung me, stating you were 3 miles away, I'd have advised that you should be arriving in about, 22 minutes & 30 seconds.... GO!
I would have run,pushing my bike if I would have had trainers on instead of my SPD's-could have run barefoot dodging the needles and glass I suppose :shock:

Youre right Jamie...

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/blogs/2007/10/an-extra-four-days-holiday-for.html

Lshort1988

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
nice one, shouldnt be long before your on PRMC then! where are they doing the medicals now in norwich then, is it at the afco or do you just have to go there first to get forms and stuff?

Globe-Trotter

PRMC Passed
Reaction score
Lshort1988 said:
nice one, shouldnt be long before your on PRMC then! where are they doing the medicals now in norwich then, is it at the afco or do you just have to go there first to get forms and stuff?
You have to go up the AFCO to get your forms then its about a 5 min walk to the medical centre for the medical.

I think there was 5 of us altogther-3 RAF and 2 RN.I was there about 3 hours due to the hearing test fiasco.

Ive tried adding you to MySpace as well mate :wink:

zakrichards

Reaction score
fail training

does anybody know what happenes if you dont pass something like the commando tests say the endurance course for example do you get kicked from training or have another go at it .

jim59

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah mate I've got a road bike and use spds there no good at all for walking, perfect for riding though. I normally have a little bike bag under the saddle with a few tubes, air cannisters and levers just in case.

I went out the a few months ago and got half way out and realized I had left my saddle bag at home after taking it off to dry, decided to risk it. Bad move. going down a hill tyre went flat in about a second had to get my dad to pick me up .That's sods law for you, before that I hadn't had a puncture in ages and I haven't had one since but the one time I forget my repair kit I puncture

well done on passing the medical I only just scraped the hearing test, too many nights spent clubbing are to blame I think.

who dares wins

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thats amazing how he came an picked you up :rock:
sounds like you had one hell of a day, best of luck with the rest of it!!

Dev

Reaction score
Thats amazing how he came an picked you up :rock:
sounds like you had one hell of a day, best of luck with the rest of it!!
He posted this in 2007! I'm sure he would have Passed Out by now.

Globe-Trotter said:
I passed my PRMC on the 9th of May 2008 nearly a year after first applying due to injury.Should be starting RT in November 2008
Devereux

Dev

Reaction score
I don?t think he started RT, refer to this thread.

Devereux

jim59

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Oops I'll remember to check the posting date next time