I made my Shin Splints Angry

j.cunners

Reaction score
Got diagnosed with shin splints a just under 2 weeks ago and posted on this site for a bit more info. One lad who said he had also had shin splints recommended three weeks rest, advice seemed sound so decided to take it. By day 3 of my recovery period the frustration was starting to get to me and just over 10 days of sitting around on my arse I decided to take myself out on a gentle-ish run and now they really *text deleted*ing hurt, and on the sections of my run on tarmac my knees not shins really hurt. That has never happened before.

1. Why could this be?
2. Any ways of helping speed up my recovery?
3. How damaged is my cardio vascular fitness going to be by not running over this period of time?
4. Can I still do leg work at the gym?

Thanks in advance
Cunners

P.S. I have read the shin splint post just looking for additional info.

JMH

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Recently since i increased the intensity of my training i've has shin splints, for around 2 weeks now, i went for a run today and im in agony, it's only my right shin though. I'm off to see the chiropodist tomorrow morning, i would recommend the same thing, unless you've already been to see one. I've had them previously before in my right shin only, i've tried different running shoes and i've rested so hopefully tomorrow i'll have a solution, i'll post it up on here.

jim87spencer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
DONT RUN ON CONCRETE, if you need to keep your legs tuned do squats and ride the bike, dont carry on running and run the disk of *text deleted**text deleted*ing your legs up forever

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
Got diagnosed with shin splints a just under 2 weeks ago and posted on this site for a bit more info. One lad who said he had also had shin splints recommended three weeks rest, advice seemed sound so decided to take it. By day 3 of my recovery period the frustration was starting to get to me and just over 10 days of sitting around on my arse I decided to take myself out on a gentle-ish run and now they really *text deleted*ing hurt, and on the sections of my run on tarmac my knees not shins really hurt. That has never happened before.

1. Why could this be?
2. Any ways of helping speed up my recovery?
3. How damaged is my cardio vascular fitness going to be by not running over this period of time?
4. Can I still do leg work at the gym?

Thanks in advance
Cunners

P.S. I have read the shin splint post just looking for additional info.

Id really recomend having a new pair of trainers, and get the sports shop to check for pronation, good running trainers are normally cheaper than these trendy things

Mnemic5

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Id really recomend having a new pair of trainers, and get the sports shop to check for pronation, good running trainers are normally cheaper than these trendy things
Agreed!

I have not suffered to the degree you have with your shin splints, Week 3 into me running on a regular basis i had pains in my shins, had a few dyas rest and was fine, but every run i had i had some discomfort in my legs, and in my lower back!
I had a cheap crappy pair of addidas running shoes, £30
i just bought a pair of Asics with gel absorption and double that price, and its helped me alot, i had over pronation anyways, make sure you have a good pair of trainers.

Also alot of people swear by these,
Insoles, Orthotics, Arch Supports, Shoe Inserts — Heat Mouldable Insoles & Performance Socks

not exactly cheap, however give it a whirl may take the pressure of your shins when running..

JMH

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
In recruit training would they allow you to have orthotics? just curious

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
In recruit training would they allow you to have orthotics? just curious

Yes. I have £300 orthitics for my flat feet, over pronation and bow leggedness!

I always have bad pains in my shins, lower calves and ankles, so much so that often after a 3 miler im limping down my path to the front door.

People say rest rest rest, but if you are getting the problem now and having to rest, surely its *text deleted* come on worse in RT when everything is far more intense and more frequent with no chance of rest without backtrooping...?

JMH

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I've just had the measurements taken for mine today, should have them in 2 weeks. but for now he's told me to ease up on the running and get on a treadmill and do some fast walking with a pack on an incline and some circuit training. I also had an interesting conversation with my chiropodist as i told him i was joining the marines and i've known him for a few years as i had problems with my toe nail when i was younger, he told me his nephew is in the sbs and was telling me a few stories, was brilliant *text deleted*.

ben25

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
but what u have to remeber , yes u need to test and look after your shin splints , but dont be to soft on them with *text deleted* the most expensive shoes there are as u will be ruuning in boots in RM so you do need to tuffen up your shins , if u look after them to much they will never tuffen up.

hangoutctc

Reaction score
Get rid of ''shin splints'' !

Right lads if any of you have got them this is how you can calm them down,

First if the pain runs down the inside of your leg along the shin its not shin splints!! its to do with the muscle attached to your heel.

When you walk/run look at your knee and see if it lines up with you foot when it bends,buy doing this you are seeing if your legs are putting all the pressure onto this muscle (the knee would be pointing inwards as it bent)

Get someone to watch you walk and see if your ankle rolls in or out if so get some inserts for your trainers to match acordinly.

Stick with rowing,cross trainer,swimming for your cv,then after few rest weeks start this programme

DAY 1 - WALK 9 MINS - RUN 1 MINS x 3 = 30 MINS
DAY 2 - WALK 8 MINS - RUN 2 MINS x 3 = 30 MINS
DAY 3 - REST
DAY 4 - WALK 7 MINS - RUN 3 MINS x 3 = 30 MINS
DAY 5 - WALK 6 MINS - RUN 4 MINS x 3 = 30 MINS
DAY 6 - REST
DAY 7 - WALK 5 MINS - RUN 5 MINS x 3 = 30 MINS
DAY 8 - WALK 4 MINS - RUN 6 MINS x 3 = 30 MINS
DAY 9 - REST
DAY 10 - WALK 3 MINS - RUN 7 MINS x 3 = 30 MINS
DAY 11 - WALK 2 MINS - RUN 8 MINS x 3 = 30 MINS
DAY 12 - REST
DAY 13 - WALK 1 MINS - RUN 9 MINS x 3 = 30 MINS
DAY 14 - RUN 10 MINS

The pain should be gone by then,if not get to a physio

hope this helps!!

3 miler- getting over this injury!
press ups 55
sit ups 50
pull ups 2 (work in progress)

Binary

Reaction score
Thought I’d add my 2 pennies:

Weighting in at 82kg, my legs, which are not used to running at all, take a bit of a beating! I've had shin splints from the first week i started training 6 months ago. Basically i tried to do too much too soon.

I rested for 4 weeks after the first month of training, but they kept coming back so i purchased a pair of Asics from a running shop, set me back £120. These helped a bit but i still suffered, mostly in my left leg.

After more rest and cross training I saw a physiotherapist, she said all was fine I’m just over doing it. More weeks go by and I’m still having shin splints, so i go see a podiatrist. £110 quid later i get some of the 'cheaper orthotics' as I overpronate by a few degrees.

Remember Orthotics are NOT a quick fix, your whole body will need to adjust to the shift in balance, so you’re likely to experience shin splints again at the beginning of running with these. Of course you can always just ease yourself into the running, but seriously who does that?

Now my reckoning is close to Matt B's the only way you can really stop getting shin splints is by running, do a little bit of damage to them, let it heal completely, do some damage, heal etc. until you've conditioned them. Also by training all of your leg muscles and especially your core, you can help support yourself better and place less stress on this area.

Also if you do those exercises shown in numerous sites/posts all you are doing is tiring out those muscles, so either do this or do a run, not both.

Now finally I'm seeing a major improvement and hoping to get my PJFT in January and no longer be TMU, it just requires patience, but better to resolve it now than being medically discharged from RT.

Anthony88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hello

Hello lads, i have just created an account solely to reply to this. What you are all saying is right, rest will heal your shin splints but; if you start to run again it will hurt again. The problem with shin splints in my experience is, you have an inbalance of muscles. The gastonemius (calf) is much stronger than the tibialis anterior (shin muscle). The two ways I counter acted this was to, rest for about 8-10 days and when you start to run again, dont run on hard ground like concrete or a synthetic track, run on sand or soft grass.
The softer ground is easier on your shins whilst you balance the muscles again, and you shouldnt experience pain if you work up progressivley week by week. Obviously you need to run on hard ground at some point, but just try to limit the amount of times you train on it, until your shins are strong again.
Also, during your rest period, if you want to keep fit, you can swim, that is probably the easiest form of exercise on all your joints, and can keep your fitness up well, you can also weight train, but make sure you keep up a good pace.

Hope ive helped

Anthony