I think I'm over doing it!

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I've not had one days complete rest for over a week now. I don't feel any fitter today than last week and this must be because I'm not giving my body the chance to recover.

Today I did a 1.5 mile road run at my best and then I went and done another 1.5 mile run but that was more for the warm down.

Then at 3pm I went and done some fartlek training which is rather new to me. I don't usually do fartlek training so I did that for about 15 minutes and stopped.

Tonight I've got some training at a boxing club I go to. I'm going to feel destroyed as they focus on very intense ground work and my body hasn't had much time to recover since 2 weeks ago.

I want to train tommorow because this is a new week, but maybe I shouldn't do any running?

Boxing training Mon, Wed & Fri so maybe run training on Sun, Tue, Thurs? Rest Saturday? At the moment my program is - wake up and decide what to do for exercise.. this is wrong. I need to have a program and the fitness instructors at my gym only seem to give out muscle building programs which I already know.

Any help appreciated!

Richard

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Mate your doing alot in my view. Your not superman yet. Most of my training is spread out accuratly. Pressups, Situps and running i do 3 times a week. On set days tho so i can have an easier day the next day. weights i do untill i cant lift it again.
If your diet is good i.e Fish and chicken you will have enough energy for a good training day. Might give you a better recovery time.
Good luck with your training anyway.

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Mate your doing alot in my view. Your not superman yet. Most of my training is spread out accuratly. Pressups, Situps and running i do 3 times a week. On set days tho so i can have an easier day the next day. weights i do untill i cant lift it again.
If your diet is good i.e Fish and chicken you will have enough energy for a good training day. Might give you a better recovery time.
Good luck with your training anyway.

Hi, thanks for your opinion mate.

I use to go to the gym but I'm scared of adding too much bulk. I weight 82 kg now and I don't really want to weight any more than that as it'll effect my running and agility.

I don't know if I should do weight training on a different day to my cardio training. I need to work on muscle endurance really, because my legs get tired quicker than anything else.

F.M.J

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
hi mate! fair enough if you do cardio everyday but you dont need to do as much! i mean 3 miles then 15 minutes of fartlek (guessing thats another 1.5/2 miles) then boxing? your doing too much cardio to be honest, i jog everyday, i do 5/6 miles a day but at medium to hard pace, this is enough for me to progressively get fitter but isnt too much! and you should counter balance your cardio training with weight training!

i do weights and cardio everyday but i use a training programme i made myself, this way i know exactly what to expect everyday and i dont need to think about what to do, if you want to develop stamina and endurance use lighter weights but more reps! heavy weight less reps is for bulking up!

im 80kg so i understand where your coming from about the whole weight situation!

if you train everyday like me, what i normally do is have Saturday and Sunday as very light easy workouts so my body can slowly recover while im training!

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
In the words of Arnold Schwarzenegger, the most important thing for working out is rest. Thats when your muscles grow. They become weaker, depleted , and through sleep they regenerate themselves and grow larger anticipating the workload the following day. If you never let your muscles or body rest, they will never grow. Instead they get weaker, and weaker , until you receive injuries.

Never feel bad about taking 2 days off mate. Your body will love you for it. I know a few people that take a whole week off every month to make sure the body recupperates.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
^^ Correct info.
Rest is as vital as doing the work.

Marine told me you only really need to do 3 milers, 3 times a week if you work correctly. Circuits etc you can pump more as they arnt as intensive for most routines.