i would like info on beeing a PRM please.

U

Unregistered

Hello, my name i jordan read and i am currently gatering as much information as possibe about the Royal Marines and how to go about becoming one. I have recived a phone call from the royal navey office and also recived a package containing a dvd and other information, and now i am ready to take it a step further and move on to taking the potential royal marines course (prmc). I would appreciate any information that could help me with this and also any additional information that you think would be nessacary to help me become a Royal Marines Commando.

Thanks, Jordan Read

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Jordan, well there is quite a long process to get through before PRMC and it can take a few months. If i were you, look into the application process and what is required of you physically and mentally. There are tests/assessments before you take your PRMC. Make sure you know about the corps and the history of it, also make sure you are at a good level of fitness before applying.

All the best,

Luke

kit-kat-man

Reaction score
I have just finished all the selection and start training in january and the way i went about it is by going step by step.
First of all look up on the all aspects of the RM not just history, because u need to KNOW that u want to do this and be really enthusiastic about it.
The selection process is long(from applying to training i think mine was about 6 months so be prepared to wait) and the main stages u need to concentrate on is interview, PJFT and of course PRMC. The other bits are just assessments and u cant really help if u pass or not (if u are reasonably healthy and not too thick you should be fine).

INTERVIEW: What they are looking for is enthusiasm, a bit of dedication and to see if u are a nice guy. I think most people worry about this one the most but its not too bad, just be yourself, dont lie and do some research on the RM. I think most of all they just want to know that you are easy to get on with because you and the lads your *text deleted* be training with are going to need to get on. Try and remember the 4 commando ethos; Cheerfulness in the face of adversity, determination, unselfishness, courage. Just keep them in mind.

PJFT: Mile and a half run on a treadmill as quick as you can has to be quicker than 10 mins. Starting from now if you havnt already, start running. Its probably the most important thing to do in terms of fitness. If you are starting from scratch just try and do a couple of laps of a park or something and then build up from there and do mock PJFTs to make sure u can do it (set up the treadmill as normal and you need to get to 2.42KM (1.5M) in under 10 mins, you can choose your speed and change speed whenever you want.

PRMC: indisputably when it comes to it you will be a bit scared and apprehensive but its OK everyone is and you get the first night to just chat with everyone and make friends because tomorrow is when it all begins.
The PRMC is built up of 4 main tests (the order may change but for me this is how it went)
-3 Mile run (first mile and a half you run together in 3 ranks so all you have to do is keep up with everyone [EASY] the second mile and a half you have to do it as quick as you can in under 10 mins [NOT EASY] but u will find that competitiveness takes over and you will push yourself harder than you ever have and you should pass it) you should pass it because if you dont you fail the course SO DIG DEEP if you arnt a strong runner DIG F*text deleted**ING DEEP you have plenty of time to recuperate.
-Gym test 1. Bleep test (a shuttle run i think its about 20meters) which you aim for level 13(you dont need to get level 13 but aim for it).
Press ups (you need to aim for 60 in 2 mins again you dont need to do 60 but aim for it [go on the RM website and make sure u practice them the right way VERY IMPORTANT]).
Sit ups (you need to aim for 80 in 2 mins again you dont need to do 80 but aim for it [go on the RM website and make sure u practice them the right way VERY IMPORTANT]).
Pull ups (you only need to aim for 6 of these again u dont have to do 6 but YOU HAVE TO DO AT LEAST 2 [near on everyone dose 6 but dont worry if you dont][go on the RM website and make sure u practice them the right way VERY IMPORTANT]).
All these test are done right after one another so it is f*text deleted**ing knackering so DIG DEEP. this is the test you should practice the most for along with running.
NEXT DAY
-Bottom field. This is the assault course bit they show you how to do it all first and then you do a timed run on it (you will be running constantly the whole time you are there even when you are waiting very tiresome). When you have all done the assault course then its the determination test (Basically you are knackered already and they make you do all kinds of running, press ups, sit ups, squat frusts, carrying each other, jumping in water, crawling and the dreaded stress persisions. THIS IS THE HARDEST THING EVER YOU WILL WANT TO DIE *text deleted* but remember you want to be a royal marine and DONT GIVE UP!!!! thats the whole point).
-Gym test 2. You are shown how to do various activity's that demand team work, stamina and strength (you will be constantly running when not doing the activity's so its tiresome) at the end you are made to do about 10 mins of short sprints (at this point i was close to giving up but you just have to push on and know it will all be over soon).
During your short stay at CTCRM at some point you will also do;
-Drill session
-Short swimming test
-Maths and English test
-Various lectures about Royal Marine stuff
Dont worry about any of these, in no way can you fail the course on them.
you also have a little 1 to 1 with a corporal at some point (but we didnt on ours for some reason).

*text deleted* hope all that helps :smile1:

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Great advice kit-kat-man, but the PJFT is now 3 miles on a treadmill.

matty630

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
yeah great advice, also second 1.5 back is best effort in 10:30 but best to aim for under 10 mins