Ice Baths :D

South

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted*'e read somewhere that if you have a slight injury or just DOMS then a 10 minuit ice-bath really helps... i just tried it & my legs feel better (they got a real cane-in earlier!)

I dont have much info on the subject but apparently it does really help.. anyone have more info?

Let me know what you think and/or if you try it for yourself!!

South

sooty795

Reaction score
hey south

yes it`s true thats what that female marathon runner does, you know the one that *text deleted**text deleted* herself at the olympics, can`t remember her name!!!

never tried it to be honest i aint got enough ice *text deleted*

CommandoJ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
would really cold water work?

i have seen ice baths but *text deleted* how much ice do ya need!!

Creed

Reaction score
*text deleted* you don't really need an ice bath

ice bath proberly has the same affect as a Ice pack
or a frozen bag of vegies like when you put it on a bruise or you banged your head hard

RossRobObey

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
They used to have on at my old rugby club.

Well, it was a wheely bin, one of the massive ones, half filled with ice then topped up using a hose.

Robfo

Reaction score
I remember being told about cold showers, which are almost the same :), as being a way to flush away the 'bad blood' in your muscles left after exercise thus letting fresher blood in. So after a long run or something along those lines, it's effective for a bit of muscle rejuvenation.

Just what i heard.

Brucey1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah i heard similar to that. A friend of mine (who is an ex RM funnily enough) said to make sure you get a cold shower on your legs after a run before you have a proper all over warm one. I'm sure he said something about it getting rid of the lactic acid or something (was a while ago he told me and thats just jogged my memory)

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
If you have an injury you should get an ice pack and a hot water bottle. 2 minutes with the ice pack, 2 minutes with the hot water bottle, do this 5 times each. This is the same effect as a toilet as soon as you change the temp from cold to hot it'll flush the *text deleted**text deleted* away.

It is important to do both hot and cold, if you do just hot you're just *text deleted* make all the bad stuff feel homely and if you just do cold you're just *text deleted* numb the injury so you can't feel it and you'll think it's fine to go about your buisness as normal and when the cold wears off you realise that you've just fcuked up the next month because you've caused extra injury.

Hot & cold for 10 minutes a day will keep the doctor away..

Leedham

Reaction score
Thought id have a go at this "ice bath/cold shower" theory after my workout today... Nearly died from breathlessness when i got in but have to say i do feel less aches than i normally do after a workout. All in all it seems a good method of recovery!
GOOD POST!!

"breathlessness" - is that a word? *text deleted*

Aussie89

Reaction score
i used to have icebaths all the time after playing afl footy. pretty sore after some of the games and i rekon it really helped but thats just personal opinion. dunno if it scientificly works

South

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Good response guys!

i havent had another ice bath because *text deleted* used loads of ice already!

think its worth while from time to time!

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* i would hate having an ice bath or even a cold shower. especially with what the weather is like, i go for a quick 1.5 mile run randomly sometimes on top of my normaly fitness, just to wake me up and having a cold shower or something after would be bloody horrible.. fair play to you guys who do have the cold baths and showers though.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
It takes about 5 minutes for the hot water to come through here so instead of waiting I've started to have the showers before it gets hot *text deleted*. Preparing myself for PRMC.

Once you get used to not being able to breath it's not that bad. Your body adjusts.