Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.
  1. Acidbadger

Acidbadger New Member

@Geordie potatoe whats the first few weeks like adjusting to the marine way of life, always imagined the train pulling up to be pretty nerve racking.

2. Geordie potatoe

Geordie potatoe Member

aye you look back and wish you knew what you knew now and never left! but we don't have crystal balls but we will go back with a better mind set pal. what was your injury if you don't mind me asking?

3. Geordie potatoe

Geordie potatoe Member

it was just a mad rush and all you think about is getting out of foundation but after a couple of weeks of been out of foundation you think bah that would be easy now because your admin takes half the time ha. but you wear your loomi tabs which is red tape type thing to show that your the new troop you wear these I believe till the end of week 3. don't hate them these things keep you safe whilst wearing them to a degree. there purpose to show officers and other ranks that you are green and little mistakes will be tolerated i.e making the mistake of not saluting an officer etc. also its your first sense of achievement when you take them off for the first time but not for my troop because we got a mud run at the end of week 3 haha. but mate I had some of the best laughs in foundation the training team were spot on and we had some laughs with them and just mingling in with people from all walks of life its something else. but it is hard work as you already will know but everyone is in the same position and yous all come together and become close real quick.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Acidbadger

Acidbadger New Member

cheers for the great insight really helpful to hear from someone who's been there.
    no running naked to the showers then ha

5. Geordie potatoe

Geordie potatoe Member

oh yeah there is that every morning and after every phys session but you get use to it haha. don't forget you sandles or flip flops I did once got caught coming up the stairs after my shower got press ups then told press ups are phys so had to shower again we only had 8 minutes to shower and be in rig lined up outside haha great stuff

6. blindman3004

blindman3004 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    @Geordie potatoe Hi mate, most of questions i was going to ask been answered! *text deleted* whats the age range like? Do the training team look to you to being the more mature responsible one? I am 27 this year so will feel like an old man. Oh and whats the food like? full English every day i hear?

7. Geordie potatoe

Geordie potatoe Member

we had lads from 17 to 29 I was second oldest but become oldest when he left. as the older lad in the troop the training team will look at you and expect you to try and be more of a leader and help the younger lads not that they need it but you have something they wont have life experience which does go along way people tend to listen to the older lads as that's human nature so try to be someone your troop can look up to. some lads may never have been away from home or will think a normal job would be better you can tell them that the grass isn't greener if you know what I mean pal. when I return I will be 28 ha I was older then a few of my corporals and these guys have fought for are country and had some truly amazing storys and I'm like wow all ive done is work on building sites ha. the novelty of full English everyday wears off because its not the nicest full English but it serves its purpose! we started having more cereals etc and only had full English on big days because it gets sickening but I found that with all the food. ive never ate so much in my life and so much junk but it works! we also use to go to douchys scran van on a night time that was pretty good if you want to taste real bacon for a change or go to the naffi for a pizza or the spar for everything else I spent loads on food it seems to be all we do when we are off duty. hope this helps mate

• Like Like x 1
  8. Acidbadger

Acidbadger New Member

do they explain the no boxer rule? what is the hardest part of foundation would you say?
    must be good getting started and getting to know all the lads though.

9. Wooden

Wooden Member

What did the eldest lad leave for injured or personal?

10. Geordie potatoe

Geordie potatoe Member

yeah they do but that's just for foundation! after foundation your day normally finishes between half4 half 5 ish and the nights your own to rack off your admin then do what you want really. the hardest part I would say is just trying to stay awake in lectures and generally taking in information because you get so much thrown at you at once that its a total cluster that's why you always have a note pad and pen right everything down I mean everything it does help.getting to know all the lads and the friendships you have is well was for me one of the best parts of my RT experience was such a laugh I still talk everyday to the lads. after exercise etc you wont sleep for days well we didn't so much admin and the mess in your grots gets you in trouble so you waste more time getting punished and it all ads up we went 3 days without a wink once and lads fell asleep on parade and just hit the floor its funny but annoying trying to stay awake. also my biggest advice would be to work together as a troop it took us a while to learn it but that's what they want to see because at that stage if one messes up all are punished and I believe its like that until phase 2.

11. Geordie potatoe

Geordie potatoe Member

he was a great lad a south African bloke! he wanted to be a royal engineer with the army originally so his heart wasn't in it and he picked up injury which made his decision to leave easier. my advice don't go in with injury or even little niggles because RT will bring them out big time and if you came with it and they find out its a pre existing injury you can be Md'd .

12. Acidbadger

Acidbadger New Member

so sleeps something you have to say goodbye to then, whats life and living on camp for the first time, you do mix with other troop at all?

13. Geordie potatoe

Geordie potatoe Member

yeah sleep is something you don't get much of at all but its all for a reason training you to work and function at your lowest and weakest! most of us started hallucinating which can be a laugh and we had lads talking utter crap which was funny too. the further into training you go the more at home you feel and you walk with more pride because troops below you look up to you and ask questions as did we with troops ahead of us.you tend to stay with your own troop and don't really interact that much with other troops odd conversations here and there. I had mates in troops both ahead and behind so we would meet up some evenings for food or meet in Exeter on weekends we had free for a few pints and a laugh. I would say ctcrm is definitely an experience and its weird you crave leave but when your away you miss the place I think its not the place its just your mates you miss ha. but it does change you for the best.we were there only 3 weeks then had 3 weeks summer leave that was hard because we all forgot are drill and lost fitness came back on a sunday on ex on Monday came back wed got beasted in the gym thurs for familys day fri. we were a bag of scran doing drill for are familys because we all forgot what to do haha.

14. stringer98

stringer98 Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    how far into training do you get issued kitetc.

15. Geordie potatoe

Geordie potatoe Member

@stringer98 first day mate all your kit is issued and you acquire more bits and pieces along the way.label everything because they tend to throw your kit in big piles then say you have 5 or 10 mins to get your kit back you never get your kit back ha.

16. stringer98

stringer98 Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    way ahead on that plan, what do you have to bring with you before hand?

17. Geordie potatoe

Geordie potatoe Member

@stringer98 just take whats on the kit list mate creams meds etc are all thrown away!i suggest cycle shorts instead of normal boxers,pens,just get the iron board from there but if you can get a cover for it one of those fancy covers that makes ironing easier *text deleted* because there boards are rubbish.to be honest the list they give you only covers a tiny proportion of what you need they will sit you down and make you right a list you will go into Exeter probably first weekend and spend a bomb and this will go on through out training. take a globe and laurel or if your fancy something A4 size like Perspex/plastic sheet it will come in handy for folding your kit instead of a full troop waiting for one! eventually you wont need them because you will be class at it haha. if I think of anything else important I will let you know but I'm shattered and my brain isn't functioning right now so going to get some kip. but anything else you guys want to ask just msg away I will respond to everyone and try help as much as I can if I can.

• Like Like x 1
  18. stringer98

stringer98 Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    cheers mate appreciate it, i dont blame you I'm dead, ill probably thin of a million more questions ive still got a while until i even apply

19. Geordie potatoe

Geordie potatoe Member

@stringer98 yeah fire away anytime mate if I can help anyone just a little bit then great! this forum helped me a lot.

20. Mr D

Mr D Well-Known Member

@Geordie potatoe welcome back and I'm sure your experiences will benefit those yet to experience CTC. I wish you well for the tests and beyond.

• Like Like x 1